Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Rebuilding TV wall. Advice?
autoboy #368754 03/05/12 04:37 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
What a beautiful home. I hope you and your family will be very happy there for many years.

I'd do in-cabinet versions of the M60 and VP160 and decide later on a sub.

Thanks for the nice picture - expecting more later.

Enjoy! grin

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
autoboy #368757 03/05/12 05:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: CatBrat

YA, but your special..... I knew you had one, but they dont have it listed on the website yet..... Did you happen to measure how deep it is?

Originally Posted By: autoboy
I have an SVS sub right now in my current family room that is turned off most of the time.

I was in a similar situation.. The amp on my EP600 was dead for about 4 months before i realized it (I'm in school and usually study in my bedroom)... When the semester was over last spring, i was in the family room watching something... and thought.. Hrm, something sounds off.... Anyhow, without the EP600, everyone was able to turn the volume up with out disturbing people at the other end of the house (me). So, for that that reason, i would agree completely with going without a sub.. Also, keep in mind, that 70%+ or so of the broadcast material comes from the center..

Many people on the forum, think that the VP160 would be a better overall speaker than the 180, because the 160 is suppose to have better off axis listening. However, the 180 will play lower than the 160. For that reason, in your situation i would get the 180.

CatBrat #368762 03/05/12 05:23 PM
A
autoboy Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
A
I would just tear out the entire cabinet where the TV is currently mounted. That would then make a decent background for a 70-80 inch tv with a pair of M80's to either side.

Now that's a great idea I hadn't considered. The cabinet is in a recess in the wall. Will it look ok to leave it blank? This would allow me to upgrade the TV in the future to an 80 inch OLED when they are available. Any ideas for a wide TV stand that can hold a 160 or 180?

Another option is to tear out just the top section of the cabinet and leave the bottom half and finish the top. That would give me a built in with room for a big TV and bookshelf speakers flanking it.

dakkon #368764 03/05/12 05:40 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: dakkon
...Did you happen to measure how deep it is?...

Mine is 15 inches from contact with wall to end.

CatBrat #368766 03/05/12 05:45 PM
A
autoboy Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
A
Originally Posted By: dakkon
...Did you happen to measure how deep it is?...

Mine is 15 inches from contact with wall to end.

I don't know for certain. It's between 15 and 24 i'd say. I'll measure all this when I am allowed into the house a bit later. I don't see any issues with depth really.

autoboy #368767 03/05/12 05:46 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Tearing out the entire cabinet would give that wall a cleaner look. You'd still have the wood look on the remaining wall. One problem I can foresee is what to do about the floor where cabinet used to be. The best looking solution would be to find a way to extend the existing floor into that space. You might have to make a seam going across the floor there to accomplish that. You'd want it as flat as possible in order to mount some floor standing speakers in the future, maybe.

autoboy #368771 03/05/12 06:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: autoboy
[quote=CatBrat]

Will it look ok to leave it blank? This would allow me to upgrade the TV in the future to an 80 inch OLED when they are available. Any ideas for a wide TV stand that can hold a 160 or 180?

I think your asking the wrong group of people... I would be ok with it being a black background, with some open concept shelves for components, and then the TV/speakers... But, you'r asking a group of guys "will it look ok" in regards to HT/Stereo stuff... depending on how accepting your wife is, this is a VERY subjective question .... if your wife is like Amie (Ian's wife) who is very accepting of random stereo stuff showing up at her home, with the only stipulation being that said stereo stuff is in a color that matches her decore ... Then you should be good to go..

I think the majority of the group here, would be ok with exposed framing, if it meant that they had an 80" OLED tv in their future.....

http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/
This company makes VERY good quality items. I have some of their stuff. You pay for it, but in my opinion it is well worth the money. Depending on what rute you decide to go, you could blow out that wall, paint it, or put some type of fabric or something on the recess walls, and then slide in a piece from the company above. I think that would look quite nice... maybe put a black movie theater cloth on the walls, to give you some what of a movie theater feel, the back background behind any tv would also make the tv look better i would think?

Good luck!

P.s.
Tearing out the entire cabinet would give that wall a cleaner look. You'd still have the wood look on the remaining wall. One problem I can foresee is what to do about the floor where cabinet used to be. The best looking solution would be to find a way to extend the existing floor into that space. You might have to make a seam going across the floor there to accomplish that. You'd want it as flat as possible in order to mount some floor standing speakers in the future, maybe.

He could make a small landing maybe 4"-6" or so, like they do in HT rooms. That would be as simple as some 2X4's some ply wood and a bit of carpet.. Depending on how elaborate one wanted to get.

Last edited by dakkon; 03/05/12 06:04 PM.
autoboy #368784 03/05/12 07:49 PM
A
autoboy Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
A
I hadn't considered what to do with the floor under the cabinet. That's going to be an issue. This should blend in with the rest of the family room and not draw attention to itself. The wall behind the TV will be white like the rest of the room. My wife is ok with a large TV and floorstanding speakers as long as they don't draw attention to themselves like a huge black wall. This is the main great room in the house. It is not a theater and should not look like one. But, refinishing the floor will probably be as expensive as a whole new cabinet.

You guys are giving plenty of good advice and you have the most experience with the Axiom speakers I'll be putting in. So, posting here has been fine.

Maybe the best way to make this work is to build the base of a cabinet that mimics the bar and fills the floor space. That would leave room for a TV sitting on the cabinet and some bookshelf speakers beside the TV. That would leave me with upgrade potential down the road, but would limit me to bookshelf speakers. Unless of course I just put m60s or m50s on the shelf. It might work since the TV is actually taller than an m60.

Last edited by autoboy; 03/05/12 08:11 PM.
autoboy #368788 03/05/12 08:04 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Quote:
Maybe the best way to make this work is to build the base of a cabinet that mimics the bar and fills the floor space. That would leave room for a TV on a stand and some bookshelf speakers beside the TV.

I really think this is the way to go. Basically, mirror what you have at the bar (a counter-height built-in all the way across the width of the existing opening/casework). Don't get a separate stand for the TV; make the "counter" deep enough for it to sit on. In the middle of that counter-top, depth isn't going to be an issue; you can have it stepped-out to get whatever you need while still keeping the ends of the counter-top flush with the sheetrock.

I'd do an in-cabinet VP160 (or VP180) right under the TV. Then, get some M22's to sit on the countertop.

I think - even if you had the depth for them - sitting floorstanders on the counter-top will look decidedly weird. Just too imposing. The way to overcome that perception is to have them be in-cabinet models that are part of the larger whole installation. Since this is "the main room" and you have WAF to deal with, a pair of M22's and a sub might be a better (and much cheaper) alternative to floorstanders and lots of custom casework. Get them in real wood to match the rest of the installation.

Last edited by tomtuttle; 03/05/12 08:06 PM. Reason: unorganized mind

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #368793 03/05/12 08:20 PM
A
autoboy Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
A
The stand I was talking about was the TV's built in stand rather than wall mounting it. I edited the previous post to make that clear.

I like this idea of a lower cabinet. But, instead of building an upper cabinet with all that expense and having it limit future TV upgrades, I can simply fill the top part with drywall and make that deep enough for in cabinet m60s so they would look like in wall speakers. Some paint on the in cabinet m60s and white grill cloth would bend that in with the wall behind it. this is sounding quite good. Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,475
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
3 members (Hambrabi, rrlev, Kodiak), 738 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup