Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Anybody else interested in the new iPad?
#368910 03/07/12 02:53 PM
medic8r Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Rumor is that Apple is announcing the iPad 3, or iPad HD, today.

I hope it lives up to this concept video!

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
Re: Anybody else interested in the new iPad?
medic8r #368912 03/07/12 02:59 PM
shareholder in the making
If the iPad 3 did those things, I wouldn't care (as much) how many Chinese workers jumped to their deaths.

Edit: OK, that's crude. Let me just say that it would be really, really cool and I'd be OK with them being really depressed over their labor conditions.

Edit again: Sorry Tom!

Edit one more time: But Tom, you know you would get one too. Even if you had to buy it at Freakin' WalMart.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
medic8r #368913 03/07/12 03:01 PM
medic8r Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
eek

wink

smile

laugh

medic8r #368928 03/07/12 04:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
i am quite interested... however, i am interested from the point of view of a stock holder... I bought aapl, 6 months before the first iphone came out @ 100$ a share... so far it has been one of my best investments... And they say "never put all of your eggs in one basket"... well i did....

However, with that being said... i am more anxious about the new Axiom speaker than the ipad, since i will be a possible buyer of the new speaker, where i have no intention of buying the new ipad.....

P.S. i just watched the video, the snap video would be pretty cool. However, i think the holographic projection is a bit over the top as well as the projected interface... Companies are working on projected interfaces, but i think that will be a few generations down the road... However!, i could be wrong....

Last edited by dakkon; 03/07/12 04:22 PM.
MarkSJohnson #368936 03/07/12 05:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
If the iPad 3 did those things, I wouldn't care (as much) how many Chinese workers jumped to their deaths

Apple/Foxconn hang nets so they can't jump. They're so caring.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
medic8r #368947 03/07/12 08:11 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Here's the actual Apple Video.

Amazing display resolution, faster processor, 4G, new iLife apps.

I'm not unhappy with the resolution on my iPad2, and don't see anything else really "revolutionary" here. I don't feel a burning need to take and edit photos on the same device since it is inevitably a compromise on both tasks.

It does raise the bar, though.

And, Mark, no.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
medic8r #368951 03/07/12 09:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
There is nothing revolutionary about the new iPad. Higher screen resolution is the biggest talking point, but it's hardly innovative.

There will probably be just marginal updates with the upcoming android tablets like the iPad.

However, this technology below I would call revolutionary for a tablet if it does ever hit the market.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-n...ted-2013-a.html

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #368965 03/07/12 10:08 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1
There is nothing revolutionary about the new iPad. Higher screen resolution is the biggest talking point, but it's hardly innovative.

The innovation is that grandmas squeal with delight when they can do the same things on the iPad their grandchildren have been doing on computers for years. It's about accessibility and ease of use, *not* specs, people.

pmbuko #368967 03/07/12 10:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
It's about accessibility and ease of use, *not* specs, people.

This should be the marketing campaign of the Bose Acoustimass home theater system.

This is why Amar Bose and Steve Jobs are filthy rich and good for them.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #368968 03/07/12 10:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur

This should be the marketing campaign of the Bose Acoustimass home theater system.

I don't think Steve has any money any more, nor needs it.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
medic8r #368969 03/07/12 10:57 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Oh dear lord. Listen to the voice-over guy for the Apple video. "We've taken this super awesome, higher resolution that your 55inch TV and crammed it into this small display. Your eyes won't be able to tell the difference, but it is better because we say so."

I stopped right there.

So its faster, and has some goofy named "Apple optics" camera that they say is better, (probably better than the iPad 2), crammed 4x the pixels in the display (see above) and let you use 4G-LTE. Woohoo, because I like paying for another data plan.

It is trendy, and hip, but heck, a lot of people say that Monster Cables are awesome too. Yea, I said it. You hate me now... That's too bad, because I really am a nice guy. (Maybe if I could get that Apple voice-over guy to tell you, then you would think that I am... Hmmm... I wonder what his hourly rate is.)

"The iPad3 (or HD, or whatever). Better than last year's product, and we need the income, so you should buy it."

Oh wait, I am really making enemies now. Crap...

GO ahead and buy it. I just don't think that any tablet device is good enough for what I want. Give me something that is as fast as a decent laptop, has tons of storage, good battery life, and can connect up to a corporate VPN and run work apps and THEN I would look at it. Without ALL of those, it is still a pricey toy for me. Others may get more use out of it, and that is great.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
medic8r #368971 03/07/12 11:04 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Oooh, Mister Grumpy Pants.

medic8r #368976 03/07/12 11:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
LOL. There is much truth and much exaggeration in my previous post. It is up to you to pick what you want to put into either category. Some will lump everything into one or the other, but that is against the rules.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
medic8r #368978 03/08/12 12:15 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I liked it a lot, Nick.

nickbuol #368985 03/08/12 01:58 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: nickbuol

"The iPad3 (or HD, or whatever). Better than last year's product, and we need the income, so you should buy it."

Nick, the have been doing marginal updates for decades, to get people to buy the "new generation".. That is their business model, and I don’t think anyone can argue that it's not working... Does everyone buy into it, nope... I had a Iphone 3G, I bought it when the 3Gs came out, so I got mine for 99 bucks$$~, I then waited until the 4S came out to upgrade, because like you I wanted a significant upgrade..

has tons of storage, good battery life, and can connect up to a corporate VPN and run work apps and THEN I would look at it. Without ALL of those, it is still a pricey toy for me. Others may get more use out of it, and that is great.

I think that some of this will be in future generations, as they are pushing the iCloud thing, storage could be a nonissue, if you are able to save everything to the "cloud".. Also, Apple has specifically not entered into the corperate market place, they have said that they are a consumer based company.. Will this change, I don't know. However, there are lots of people in your position. A good friend of mine is a HUGE apple fan, however for his work he HAD to get a windows phone, because his iphone would not sync with his work calendar and a couple other things that he needed for his job. So with regards to that issue, yes they are certainly losing customers...

Did you watch Obamas press conference the other day? He mentioned that part of living in a democracy is the exchange of ideas, and disagreements. However, that does should not mean that anyone degrades anyone else's opinion.. I though that part of his press conference was well put...

Regardless of whether one likes Obama’s politics I think everyone would say he is well spoken.

medic8r #368987 03/08/12 02:27 AM
I can connect to my corporate VPN with my iPhone and iPad... And the iPad has fantastic battery life. Just sayin'.

Of course, I can also say that I virtually never use the iPad for anything past playing silly little games and checking email. Maybe looking up recipes.

Once I have my New iPad (stoopid naming, really, but it's what Apple does...), I'll probably load a terminal app on it so I can vaguely attempt to do work with it. At least it'll be lighter than the 17" MBP that I lug around now.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
medic8r #368989 03/08/12 03:24 AM
axiomite
axiomite
At work we use a product from Good (good.com) that allows people to at least get emails on non-company based cell devices. They are really looking hard to get more and more Apple support for full VPN connectivity to the office with security requirements, but aren't having a lot of luck. But that is a different story.

As for the super-duper-pad that I talked about. I know that is many generations away yet for the power that I want. I also am not a huge fan of any cloud. There are positives, but there are a lot of security negatives. Keep in mind that I was in IT security year ago. Maybe it makes me paranoid. It will take a lot for any corporation to go to any cloud for data storage due to risk mitigation, but you never know.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
medic8r #368990 03/08/12 03:25 AM
Oh, I'm not a fan of the cloud, either, at least in a business environment.

BlueJays1 #368992 03/08/12 04:49 AM

I was about to disagree with you, but you're right. Both Apple and Bose's core markets do not care as much about specs as the overall experience of using their products. In the case of Apple, though, you can't really "prove" to someone that their experience is lacking. You can show a Bose owner frequency response charts. smile

medic8r #369018 03/08/12 01:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I agree with Peter, but then again I agree with a little bit of everyone above. Unlike most people, I get overly optimistic when I'm overtired.

Bose is a marketing machine. For a long time now it has relied totally on marketing research instead of product research. (Well, that is a bit untrue. It does show product innovation but only in redesigning its tech to market better vs. sound better.) It has found a niche with this and is successful.

Apple is also a marketing machine but the difference is, that (like them or not) it's products measurably do what they promise. Bose promises the ultimate in sound quality but to say it delivers is <insert your own answer here>. The fact that I felt safe to let you insert your own word there is exactly my point. Apple delivers what it claims, but still benefits from the 'cool factor' the marketers have created.

Both are overpriced (to different degrees), but at least one delivers what it claims.

I was also hoping for another major leap in technology in this announcement although I don't know what I expected. There is nothing there that will make me consider upgrading my wife's first gen iPad but on the other hand, neither are they standing still.

I do want a tablet for me but I won't be buying one soon as it is not the best solution for my needs yet. However, a tablet was the perfect solution for my wife who uses it constantly for a wide variety of things that would not have been as efficient or easy on a laptop. It also benefits me as she can't break the OS so I don't troubleshoot all the time like I used to.

So lots of thoughts, for those who are actually still reading for some odd reason, sorry for the long post.

Last edited by Murph; 03/08/12 01:15 PM. Reason: added stuff

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
medic8r #369026 03/08/12 01:39 PM
I really don't think you can cite any of the i-devices as overpriced at this point (maybe the iPods, but who uses those any more?) Tablet competitors are all in the same ballpark or more expensive than the iPad, even if you're going down the line on specs. Same with phone competitors.

You can say the same thing for the Ultrabook-Macbook Air comparison. Mac Pros are long in the tooth now (maybe new ones now that Sandy Bridge-EP is out), but back when they were modern, they were price competitive with workstations from other companies (namely Dell, who makes some sweet workstations).

medic8r #369028 03/08/12 01:43 PM
medic8r Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I figure to be in the laptop/tablet market in the next year or so and will be pondering my choices. I do like a keyboard and a mouse, but I like my iPhone as well.

medic8r #369042 03/08/12 02:21 PM
Joyce just got a Kindle Fire last week, and all of a sudden I'm enamored with tablets. The "instant on", and simplicity is engaging.

The truth is, unless is synced well with Outlook, I'd probably do nothing more than use it for these forums, Facebook, streaming Amazon Prime and playing Angry Birds.

Seeing Tom use his last year, I was intrigued but unsure of how to actually use it in my life. Maybe I should be looking for a product that fills a need, rather than trying to find a need for a product just because it's kinda cool!

I'll have to look into the "Outlook" compatibility. If a tablet WERE capable, I could see myself keeping it in a folio to bring along to appts for scheduling, email and notes.

I really haven't researched them much, but seem to like the Samsung and Toshibas.

medic8r #369049 03/08/12 02:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I can't live without a tablet anymore. The only upgrade I am looking for right now is device support for Ice Cream Sandwich which should come out in a few months.

There is an announcement today regarding the release of Angry Birds Space.

http://www.t3.com/news/angry-birds-space-release

-Max Payne
medic8r #369057 03/08/12 04:10 PM
No problems with the iPad and Exchange. You have to use Apple's apps for it, but they work pretty well.

medic8r #369071 03/08/12 05:16 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Ken, I don't think Mark is running Exchange; probably just Outlook for the desktop.

I like my iPad. I use it every day. I also use a desktop PC and an Android phone every day. The portability is what makes it so great for me.

MarkSJohnson #369080 03/08/12 06:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
J
The truth is, unless is synced well with Outlook, I'd probably do nothing more than use it for these forums, Facebook, streaming Amazon Prime and playing Angry Birds.

Mark, keep in mind, this all that a large portion of the population uses a laptop/desk top for in a home environment. in my family/extended family, of about 8 members.. there are really only 2 of us that use our computer for anything other than what you have stated... Me and my uncle are into photography, so we do photo editing.. I am in school right now as well, so i do a decent amount of writing, but that "could" be done on an ipad... windows is working on office for the ipad. Apple already has pages and all of their other office software on the ipad, i prefer word over pages.. Even though pages is a much more eloquent design... So, as long as the Ipad will allow people to be entertained and "waist time" people will buy it in droves.... I think the only way that i would buy one, is if i got a job that required a significant amount of travel.. But then again, i could just buy a Mac book pro 13", and have a "real" computer.... So, i dont know...

medic8r #369851 03/16/12 03:04 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
So the iPad-HD teardown.

-1GB of RAM. Two 512MB Elpida LP DDR2 packages are soldered on the logic board underneath the A5X processor

-Broadcom 802.11n-compatible Wi-Fi chip with Bluetooth 4.0 support as well as an FM transceiver, an Apple-branded power management IC, Toshiba-made NAND flash, and a Qualcomm MDM9600 baseband

-Samsung display "Retina" screen

- 42.5Whr battery (the iPad2 battery is 24.8Whr). This is needed to keep the same 10hr charge.

It's amazing how much tech you can cram into such a thin space these days.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2012/03/ipad-3-teardown-my-god-its-full-of-lithium-ions.ars

-Max Payne
medic8r #369901 03/16/12 11:21 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I figured Ray would be over here gloating already. Must've taken a nap instead.

medic8r #369905 03/16/12 11:27 PM
Or he was on his way and got lost.

Shiny object and all.

MarkSJohnson #370015 03/17/12 07:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I can't say I'm interested, the fact is I just got my first IPhone 4s that I'm really enjoying, but really? I have 2 desktops, 2 Laptops and a phone that does everything, do I really need something in between, or am I missing something that will enhance my life further or just give me something else to tote around.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
medic8r #370016 03/17/12 07:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
From looking at the bill of materials on the new iPad, it's funny how Samsung will profit quite well from this device.

-Max Payne
medic8r #370214 03/19/12 01:10 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I wasn't really interested in an iPad until I realised how versatile and useful they can be.... linky-linky.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
medic8r #370312 03/19/12 09:52 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I think I'm gonna win an Ipad 2. I have 3 more applications to write in the next 10 days, and that should be easy. With that being said, would I sell my free Ipad 2 and pay just a couple hundred dollars more of my own money to get the new Ipad instead? Nope. I don't really feel the need for ANY Ipad at all. I've got the iphone 4, a netbook, and a regular pc. But, hey...if I get a free Ipad, even if it's the 2, I'm not gonna complain.

M60s
VP150
QS8s
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD
medic8r #370360 03/20/12 12:07 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Good question but a nice problem to have.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,476
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 1,022 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup