Page 36 of 101 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 100 101
Re: Exciting News From Axiom!
tomtuttle #369751 03/15/12 01:34 AM
Axiom Engineer
devotee
Axiom Engineer
devotee
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
I didn't see the answer to the "where do I get some of what you're smoking?" question. grin

I have some other questions.

Is there a calibration microphone thingamabob, or are we dependent upon placement for any specific room tuning?

How does all this stuff wire up?

Are you doing A/D and D/A conversions in The Magic Box in order to implement the DSP?

In what ways is this approach superior to 7.1 (or more) HD audio?

I'm not trying to be argumentative; I am really very excited about the technology. I know Ian and Andrew may not want to answer these types of questions. I have always appreciated not only the exquisite products Axiom offers, but also the learning community here.

Bravo, Axiom! The speakers are beautiful and I hope to own them (or at least HEAR them) some day.

No microphones and no "room correction". As you know, we are not fans of room correction because the target curve itself is a moving target. There are simply too many variables involved. Not to mention that a number of systems deliberately screw up the frequency response to "compensate" for shortcomings in the source material. But I digress... wink

In this case you have to play with positioning to fine tune performance, just like any other speaker.

The DSP box sits between the pre-amp/processor and the amplifiers. It accepts a stereo (or front left/right) signal input, single-ended or balanced. There are two independent DSP engines, one dedicated to each channel. Because DSP is "digital" by definition, there is an A/D and D/A conversion going on. The conversion and processing operates at 24bits/96kHz. There are four outputs, again single-ended or balanced, for the left front/rear and right front/rear channels. Each output requires its own, matched, amplifier channel.

This system, while providing excellent stereo performance, is equally suited to a home theatre system. It does not attempt to create a false sense of multi-channel sound, rather a more realistic front soundstage.

avjunkee #369752 03/15/12 01:37 AM
shareholder in the making
AVJ, at this point there's nothing to indicate that feedback from info picked up by a microphone is involved, but the comment that you're probably referring to should be kept in context. The point was that some things picked up by a microphone which looked terrible(specifically, comb-filtering)weren't a significant problem for less sensitive human ears and when processed by our somewhat forgiving brains.

Edit: as Andrew has now settled in the above post as to no microphone being involved.

Last edited by JohnK; 03/15/12 01:39 AM.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

bwallen77 #369753 03/15/12 01:37 AM
Axiom Engineer
devotee
Axiom Engineer
devotee
Originally Posted By: bwallen77
Andrew,

Will the new DSP box work with the current speaker lineup?

We are investigating a 2-channel version of this DSP which would be tuned to a specific model.

Andrew #369755 03/15/12 01:47 AM
S
aficionado
aficionado
S
Sounds revilationary !

Amie #369763 03/15/12 03:12 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Thanks for the info, Andrew!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Andrew #369764 03/15/12 03:22 AM
J
veteran
veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Andrew
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
I didn't see the answer to the "where do I get some of what you're smoking?" question. grin

I have some other questions.

Is there a calibration microphone thingamabob, or are we dependent upon placement for any specific room tuning?

How does all this stuff wire up?

Are you doing A/D and D/A conversions in The Magic Box in order to implement the DSP?

In what ways is this approach superior to 7.1 (or more) HD audio?

I'm not trying to be argumentative; I am really very excited about the technology. I know Ian and Andrew may not want to answer these types of questions. I have always appreciated not only the exquisite products Axiom offers, but also the learning community here.

Bravo, Axiom! The speakers are beautiful and I hope to own them (or at least HEAR them) some day.

No microphones and no "room correction". As you know, we are not fans of room correction because the target curve itself is a moving target. There are simply too many variables involved. Not to mention that a number of systems deliberately screw up the frequency response to "compensate" for shortcomings in the source material. But I digress... wink

In this case you have to play with positioning to fine tune performance, just like any other speaker.

The DSP box sits between the pre-amp/processor and the amplifiers. It accepts a stereo (or front left/right) signal input, single-ended or balanced. There are two independent DSP engines, one dedicated to each channel. Because DSP is "digital" by definition, there is an A/D and D/A conversion going on. The conversion and processing operates at 24bits/96kHz. There are four outputs, again single-ended or balanced, for the left front/rear and right front/rear channels. Each output requires its own, matched, amplifier channel.

This system, while providing excellent stereo performance, is equally suited to a home theatre system. It does not attempt to create a false sense of multi-channel sound, rather a more realistic front soundstage.

So how will this system work in a multi channel setup? If someone is running 9.1 with front height or wide speakers, won't there be too many reflections having a speaker like this? Or is this speaker intended to be used in a very high end 2CH only setup?

Amie #369765 03/15/12 03:28 AM
I believe that Axiom reps have stated elsewhere in this thread that this is intended for 2ch setups at this time.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Amie #369767 03/15/12 03:29 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
How many 2 channel nuts do we know on the forum?

M3 and
M80
Lampshade #369768 03/15/12 03:34 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Lampshade
How many 2 channel nuts do we know on the forum?

How many members do we have now?

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Amie #369769 03/15/12 03:43 AM
I believe we are almost edging into the 5 digits. Amazing. I'm one of the last 3 digits, and I've only been a member for 9 years. Uh.... only? Yeesh.

Last edited by Ken.C; 03/15/12 03:43 AM.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 36 of 101 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 100 101

Moderated by  alan, Andrew, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters