C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
With talk of the new LFR1100, I was thinking it might be a good idea revisit the idea of FAQ lists being maintained here. With placement and other variables being more complex with the new speaker's design, it would be nice to be able to refer to a comprehensive knowledge base with suggestions and the reasoning behind them. For instance, I'm curious how much having a TV being between the speakers will impact their effectiveness. I still have a rear-projection TV sitting on shelving along with my components. I'm thinking it would be better to have either a wall-mounted flat-panel display or a front projector and having the components located somewhere off to the side, which is my plan, but that will come well after the new speakers. So, how much do you think having all this gear between the speakers will compromise the effectiveness of the reflection-based design? It would be nice to have a central place to get answers to this and other questions. Definitely easier than trying to search the forums.

Re: FAQ lists
CV #370885 03/25/12 02:36 AM
Charles, I believe that you're correct in thinking that a large object(such as a TV)situated between the speakers will have some effect in reducing the omni-directionality because of partially blocking the center portion of the reflected sound. To what extent I can't even guess. I've had some experience listening to a colleague's setup which uses Definitive Technology Bipolar speakers(essentially a copy of Mirage technology), but there was no center blockage(the screen, as you suggested, was wall-mounted and served as a reflecting surface). The vagueness of imaging that didn't leave me totally satisfied seemed to be inherent in the design.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

CV #370894 03/25/12 03:37 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If i get my pair of speakers at the house im in now. I will be able to give first hand impression of what i experience with my 2000 erra DLP in-between the speakers. For now, i have asked for Axiom to hold my speakers after they are manufactured. I will possibly be moving a month or 2 after my speakers are manufactured, and figured i would minimize risk of damage/and packing-unpacking.

dakkon #370910 03/25/12 03:39 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: dakkon
If i get my pair of speakers at the house im in now. I will be able to give first hand impression of what i experience with my 2000 erra DLP in-between the speakers. For now, i have asked for Axiom to hold my speakers after they are manufactured. I will possibly be moving a month or 2 after my speakers are manufactured, and figured i would minimize risk of damage/and packing-unpacking.

That's patience right there, he said in his best Tow Mater imitation.

Music is the best -- FZ
CV #370933 03/25/12 06:50 PM
devotee
devotee
Revisiting FAQ would be great, but don't stop there. Let get Alan back in front of the camera, and make some videos. On what might be the best placement options, how to enhance the sound imaging, maybe some ideas on how to best utilize them in particular rooms taking into consideration size, and shape.

With out Jesus Christ there can be no Redemption or Salvation.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044