Rate Thread
newbie question ? Oppo----- pioneer Elite
#371218 03/27/12 04:41 PM
N
Norml Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hi Guys:
Brand new to your forrum. I have a couple of questions for you AV guru,s.
I am considering purchasing an Oppo 93 Blu Ray. I have a Pioneer Elite vsx 52 receiver which has the Marvell video processor and I understand that the Oppo also has a Marvell processor as well. When I run the video signal thru the HDMI input on the Elite I see a noticeable improvement in PQ. (I run all my video signals thru the vsx-52.)

Will this be a duplication of the Marvell P and will it make a difference?
Will I see additional PQ improvement with the Oppo or will it be about the same.(I currently have a Sony S350 Blu Ray an older but medium quality player Takes forever to load) I am using a Pioneer Elite Plasma display which receives the HDMI signal from receiver.

After all that info the main question is. Will having a 2nd Marvell P in the signal path improve the PQ or will it be the same?

Thanks for all your input.

Re: newbie question ? Oppo----- pioneer Elite
Norml #371222 03/27/12 04:54 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I don't think it's going to help, but the only way to know for sure is to try it out.

Welcome!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Norml #371225 03/27/12 05:01 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I don't have an answer either, but also wanted to say "welcome!" smile

Edit: I would pose your question to Oppo. In some ways, I think it's best directed to Pioneer to ask them about "bypassing" their internal processing (I don't know that it could be anything but detrimental to process a signal twice to the same resolution). But I don't know how much help you'll get from Pioneer,,,while the folks at Oppo are likely to be very helpful!

Good luck!

Last edited by MarkSJohnson; 03/27/12 05:04 PM.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Norml #371232 03/27/12 05:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm afraid I'm not much help either. I have an OPPO-93 and an older Pioneer Elite model. I take the OPPO video straight to the TV.

I doubt that any double processing would be allowed. One would bypass the other, I would think. Via handshake methods.

Last edited by CatBrat; 03/27/12 05:21 PM.
Norml #371245 03/27/12 05:54 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: Norml
Hi Guys:
Brand new to your forrum. I have a couple of questions for you AV guru,s.
I am considering purchasing an Oppo 93 Blu Ray. I have a Pioneer Elite vsx 52 receiver which has the Marvell video processor and I understand that the Oppo also has a Marvell processor as well. When I run the video signal thru the HDMI input on the Elite I see a noticeable improvement in PQ. (I run all my video signals thru the vsx-52.)

Will this be a duplication of the Marvell P and will it make a difference?
Will I see additional PQ improvement with the Oppo or will it be about the same.(I currently have a Sony S350 Blu Ray an older but medium quality player Takes forever to load) I am using a Pioneer Elite Plasma display which receives the HDMI signal from receiver.

After all that info the main question is. Will having a 2nd Marvell P in the signal path improve the PQ or will it be the same?

Thanks for all your input.

I guess the straight answer is, it all depends. Pretty well every AVR and/or Pre-Pro has some sort of video processing today that, if you desire, can be "piggy backed" on top of the processing already in the player as long as you don't get too carried away with large adjustments, no harm done. From my experience with three different set-ups, the differences in the default settings are usually quite subtle anyway. One question I have is does the your Pioneer AVR have the ability to make adjustments for individual source inputs or is it a "one size fits all"?

I have an upper end Yamaha AVR that, although it is not Marvell processing, I can make individual adjustments for my monitor connected through the AVR while at the same time allow "pass through" on my Oppo BDP 95 which is connected as well. Interesting to note though that the "noise reduction' feature in the video processing on the AVR is somewhat more subtle than the noise reduction on the player and combining that with an increase in the detail enhancement on the player provides a picture, to me anyway, I like slightly better than the player on its own. That is, of course, strictly to my taste.

Either way, not to worry, do what looks the best to you.

Norml #371251 03/27/12 06:08 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I think it's worth noting that the Oppo is capable of scaling everything to 1080p whereas - with your other video sources - this might not be the case. If you're plugging in a video source with component cables rather than HDMI, I'd expect to see improvement from using the scaler in the Pioneer.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters