Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Images of Cherry Home Theater
#37216 03/16/04 12:50 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
All,
Here are a couple of pictures of my M60's, VP150 and M22's in the Custom Finish: Warm Cherrywood...They look and sound GREAT!

On the WAF side of things, Sarah likes the grills on as otherwise "they look naked"...her words.

But last night we watched "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and she noticed whispers of phrases that she (and I) had not heard before. Planning on watching "The Patriot" tonight...will report back afterwards.

So far, to quote a McDonald's ad: "I'm lovin' it...!"

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
Re: Images of Cherry Home Theater
#37217 03/16/04 12:55 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Wow - loks great. Tell me - how does the warm cherry compare to the Boston Cherry. Which is redder, and which is browner, if you know?

Great looking set-up. How do the M60s sound in that room? Are they too big, or just right? (I bet you have an opinion about this).

About the WAF, how does she like having her own chair? I can't convince my wife that we need two separate barka-loungers like you've got. She all likes to cuddle and crap while me watch movies....yeah, yeah - my diamond shoes are too tight, right? Anyway, awesome set-up!

ps. - I see you...

Last edited by Capn_Pickard; 03/16/04 12:56 AM.
#37218 03/16/04 12:55 AM
veteran
veteran
Wow, that finish looks good, makes me (almost) regret going with plain old black. Looks like you have some placement issues though, calibration must have been interesting with that sofa (couch) sitting in front of the left front M60. My system will arrive this week (M60, VP150, QS8), I will try to also post some pictures when it is set up. Great to see someone going for custom finishes, I was tempted to go with one of the maple finishes but my wallet made me go with black oak.

#37219 03/16/04 01:09 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Mr. Pickard & Expat,

The Boston Cherry was more red and darker...at least to my eyes. The Warm Cherrywood matched the Sanus stand and coordinated with the other furniture best. The calibration really did not suffer too much due to the couch on the left...what you really cannot see is that there is approximately 3 and a half feet between the left M60 and the arm of the couch...I am thinking about putting them on a set of old Rat Shack stands that tilt them back and raise them 7" to try to clear more of the midrange driver but as I have two rambunctious Golden Retrievers, that may not be such a great idea. The M60's sound great in the room but I know they would sound even better with some additional separation and position them away from the side walls...you deal with the hand you are dealt...

Also, that large shadow to the right of the A/V rack is an SVS 20-39 PC Plus...The thunder in "Open Range" is reproduced so life-like that it makes you feel like you are there in the thunderstorm and then Kevin Costner's shotgun blast in the saloon about made my wife jump almost completely off the couch...

Have not decided which I like better when it comes to my crossover setting...the Sony DB940 in the rack has 60/90/120/150/200 as selections for the crossover...I have been bouncing back and forth between 60 and 90 as to which sounds the best...

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#37220 03/16/04 01:13 AM
veteran
veteran
Cool, howd oes that SVS sub sound? I just ordered an Hsu VTF-3 Mk2, which is backordered until next month. I was tempted by the SVS cylinders, but couldn't convince my wife that the aesthetics were acceptable. I am expecting great things from my HSu.

#37221 03/16/04 01:18 AM
axiomite
axiomite
They look beautiful! You need some more crosses on that back wall though. I think I saw some space in the bottom right corner you missed.

#37222 03/16/04 01:25 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
When the PC Plus was delivered (on my birthday ), I hooked it up and did a quick calibration on it...then threw in Jurassic Park III and went to the fight scene between the Spinosaurus and the T-Rex. My son and two of his friends were there and were shaking on the couch as it felt as if the fight was happening there in the room with us. Darla and the fishtank knocked a few items off the wall (before I got my Quakehold putty)...U-571 about demolishes the house...my son and I think it is the shiznit (what exactly does that mean?).

To put it mildly, the Thunder reigns supreme.

I have heard good things about the HSU subs as well...

WhatFurrer

#37223 03/16/04 02:13 AM
veteran
veteran
Nice looking setup!

I know the speakers sound great, so I have another question for you.

How do you like the Sanus TV stand and audio rack? Good build quality? Did you order direct or buy from another store?

Also, does having that metal bar in the middle of the middle woofer on the VP150 have any negative effect? I would imagin it to be minimal as it has 2 identical drivers on either side of it.

Looking good man!

#37224 03/16/04 02:37 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Excellent, homey and enviable. M22s as surrounds. 20-39+ in a room that size! Is there such a thing as too much really good audio? I think NOT. I'm guessing that your son will be showing everything off to his buds for quite some time, assuming of course that Mom relinquishes the room!

A suggestion, based on experience. I notice that there is quite a collection of remotes next to the leather chair. ( I LOVE my Dad sized leather chair!!). Go over to Remote Central and take a look at the reviews for the MX-500 and MX-700 remotes. They are fabulous and you would do yourself a major favor if you grab one. They can both be had as "open-box" items at SurfRemoteCentral or BlueDo. Open-box means they used one to set up a device or needed one as a demo for a customer; they always arrive pristine.

I traded up to the 700 from the 500 and it can be programmed on the PC. Incredibly powerful and flexible. The open-box price is about a 45% discount.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the setup, it looks great.

#37225 03/16/04 04:05 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
getoffb,

I purchased the Sanus video and audio stands a couple of years ago from a local B & M merchant here in Austin.

The video stand was the only one that I felt was wide enough to hold the 36XBR800 (weighing in at over 235 pounds). The build quality is very good and the shelves being available in cherry was pleasing to my wife, Sarah. Not to mention, the width of the video stand allowed for more storage (not to mention somewhere to put the center) as opposed to the Sony specific stand for that specific TV.

The additional bar in front helps to support the bulk of the Direct View TV (a massive amount of glass in the front of that set...) but does not seem to affect the dispersion of the VP150. I had my other center down there previously and it did not seem to adversely affect the sound it gave off as well...I may set the 150 on top of the set one night to see if there is a marked difference...Sarah likes it underneath...less obtrusive that way.

I like the Sanus audio rack...the "seven high" I have it configured as currently is its height limit and I think I need to depopulate the rack and check the tightness of the assembly especially now that I have the SVS PC + sitting next to it...
I have another base and once we get into another house, may separate it into two short sets of four...or not...

WhatFurrer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters