Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Axioms compared to Energy, B&W, Polk, Mission, NHT
#3724 06/16/02 10:38 PM
Neuro Offline OP
OP Offline
In my auditioning, my 2 favorites are the Energy C-1s and the B&W DM303 & 600 S3 series. I've also heard Polk's Rti15, 25, 28, and 38; NHT's SB2 and 1.5; Mission's M71, and Infinity IL10 (which I found overly bright). If you've heard any of the speakers I've mentioned here, can you give me a comparison to how they sound??? Such as are they warmer or brighter, more detailed or muddier, more forward or more laid back, etc. than any of the speakers above.

Basically I've read tons of great reviews on these speakers, but I hate buying speakers that I haven't heard yet especially after all the auditioning I've done. I know of Axiom's return policy, but I really don't want to go through having to pay $50 return shipping or something.

Re: Axioms compared to Energy, B&W, Polk, Mission,
#3725 06/16/02 11:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Most people on these forums tend to discuss issues or aspects of the Axiom speakers that they own. If you are interested in those opinions from Axiom owners, then browse through some of the many recent posts on comparisons of Axiom models already available in these forums and you should get a good idea/description of what people have auditioned.

Unfortunately you will not find alot of brand comparisons here although i did post one not long ago on my decision to buy Axiom over Angstrom after eliminating several other brands including PSB, Paradigm, B&W, and Monitor Audio (do a search for Axiom and Angstrom and it should pop up). A poster named Randyman also just did a recent review of the Axiom M60s and M50s and i would concur with his thoughts on the M60 speakers sounds and quality.

Ultimately the best way to know how a speaker sounds, as you've already discovered, is to listen to them yourself, in your own home, with your own equipment.
Few vendors that i approached lately would allow me to do such a thing although several had suggested i bring my equipment into their store and i declined their offers.For the mere 'discomfort' of having to pay return shipping on speakers, i was more than happy to audition the Axioms in my own home. If you don't want to pay a whole lot of money for shipping, you can always take the Axiom 30d policy with one of their smaller set of speakers to reduce the cost. Shipping for the M3ti would not be highly consuming to anyone's pocketbook for speakers in this area of quality and cost.

You can also try www.audioreview.com for some posted reviews of ALL these brands of speakers.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Re: Axioms compared to Energy, B&W, Polk, Mission, NHT
#3726 06/17/02 04:17 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello neuro

Chesseroo is right, there are few comparisons here, but I can give you briefs ones.

I have compared Axioms to the Energy Take home system, and most of the B & W speakers out there. There's a local dealer downtown that sells all B & W stuff. Polk is sold at Future Shop, i've heard them, but they never caught my ear so I never really gave them a critical listen.

B & W speakers, I don't like too much. they do a lot of things right, but their sound is a little muddy and filtered. They don't sound natural, like the Axioms do. The 600 S3 is almost identical to the S2, and both sound a tad thumpy to me, as well. The 303 is expensive for what you get. The M1Ti is much better and cheaper.

The Energy system, I did like very much. However, at loud volumes, I wasn't impressed. The Axioms handle it better. I also found it slightly bright, and lacking in the lower midrange and upper bass. I didn't get to hear it try to produce very low bass.

I've heard some Mission speakers before, though I can't remember which model. I didn't get to hear them critically, and they didn't really catch my ear, either.

So far, I can't say I've heard speakers much better than Axioms. Reflexion Acoustic and Summum Acoustic (both from Montreal) have REALLY impressed me more than Axiom, but the models I heard were 7,000$ and 15,000$ a pair, respectively. My M22's at 650$ a pair perform far and beyond that price.

#3727 06/17/02 04:43 AM
F
fhw Offline
devotee
devotee
F
Neuro,

Chesseroo makes a good point about audioreview.com. Positive comments on that site aren't useful, but negative comments can tell you a lot. For example, the only negative comments I've read about Axiom came from an idiot who hadn't even heard the speakers, and was trying to declare a love affair with Bose. On the other hand, I was seriously considering Definitive Technology bipolar towers (based on their unearthly reviews) until I read posts by several owners about fuses blowing and lousy customer service. Take the time to browse that website.

I've personally heard the Mission M71 vs. a model by Energy (though I have no recollection which). I preferred the Mission, if only because it was a more musical speaker for jazz and opera, though it didn't really blow my skirt up with rock. Mission is definitely more "dinner and evening entertaining" than "college party" brand of speaker.

When I first picked up a pair of M3s, Energy was one of the companies I auditioned against (sorry, can't remember the model). The M3 did sound quite comparable, but a LOT cheaper, which made it the winner in my eyes. The PSB Image 2B was too flat for my tastes.

Audioshop in Ottawa sells Energy, Axiom and the resurgent Dahlquist. Marc Hallam is one of the most helpful guys on the net, and I'm sure he can help give you a recommendation by e-mail. hometheaterforum.com is another great site, and the posters seem quite broad in musical interests and listening experiences. I'd stay clear of the Sound and Vision forum, which is home of worshippers of B&W, Klipsch, Paradigm, and not much else.

From a personal standpoint, Axioms cannot be matched in terms of price for performance. I'm backing this up having actually been able to audition them vs. other popular brands. With the right electronics, they sound fantastic with both music and HT, and won't hit you hard in the bank at all.

#3728 06/17/02 01:48 PM
buff
buff
The only way you'll ever know if you like Axiom's is to get them. Maybe somebody around here would be nice enough to loan you theirs. If not, you're going to have to buy them.
If you do buy them and don't want them, I think you'd be better off selling them than shipping them back to Axiom.
Good luck and happy hunting!

Big L
#3729 06/17/02 02:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Blow up your skirt?
Ok i won't go near that comment but yes, about audioreview, often the negative comments are actually more helpful than the positives.

Read between the lines so to speak and about the only negative thing surrounding Axioms is POSSIBLY that they can be 'bright' at times. I personally feel it depends on the recording and the source player as well as the decoding DAC but i've come to really enjoy the 'clarity' of this sound with my M60s.

Just out of curiousity, has anyone else auditioned Angstrom speakers? Canadian company, great quality, cheap as Axiom if not cheaper (depending on the model line but i'm referring to the Modular system in particular).
The company is no where near the customer service quality of Axiom but the speakers are really beautiful listening.

Otherwise i agree with most everyone else. The price of the Axiom for its performance is the best quality compared to other major brands.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#3730 06/17/02 06:49 PM
Neuro Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for all the replies, this is what I wanted to hear. I'm really starting to think to take the plunge. Any other comments about the speakers being bright though?

#3731 06/17/02 09:41 PM
F
fhw Offline
devotee
devotee
F
I did a head-to-head audition of 3 of the towers, and have heard the M3 and M22 head-to-head as well. With the M80s and to a lesser extent the M22s, the mids and treble are very crisp and prominent, but not what I would call bright. Admittedly, this sort of effect isn't for everybody, in which case you might want to check out the M3s or M40s, which are laid back and not bright at all.

As I upgraded my system, I found oddly enough that the biggest difference maker for brightness and warmth with music was my receiver. What electronics are you using?

#3732 06/18/02 03:51 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
i have both m3's and m22's.

the m3's are more laid back, good for listening an extremely long time, background music, or late night listening.

the m22's, i prefer, they are very neutral. not bright, unless the recording is. i use Denon, which is also neutral, so it doesn't brighten the sound.

#3733 06/18/02 08:04 PM
regular
regular
I have M3's with a Marantz 5200 and they sound great together.

War Eagle!

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters