Center Speaker on Media Stand and Subwoofer Questi
#372703 04/10/12 07:06 AM
B
Bassman Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
B
I am days away from finally setting up my home theater, aka my living room surround sound setup. In fact this Saturday I will do the setup!

I have the TV on a media stand that has a shelf under it. My plan is to put the center speaker on the shelf below the TV. I would need to angle it to get it to point correctly and I've read that some people have used hockey pucks to tip it. My question is would I want to put some thin foam or rubber between the front edge and the shelf to act as isolation?

Also, I have wooden floors and a neighbor below. I have an area rug between the couch and the TV/Front Speakers that will take care of reflections form the front speakers. The subwoofer would be on the wooden floor. Should I buy some sort of isolation foam such as the Auralex Gramma?

Re: Center Speaker on Media Stand and Subwoofer Questi
Bassman #372705 04/10/12 08:35 AM
shareholder in the making
Whatever you'd use to tilt the center speaker up shouldn't vibrate audibly, but wouldn't necessarily have to be as soft as a piece of foam.

Most of the bass sound that gets transmitted through walls or floors is directly through the air, rather than from physical contact of the enclosure with the room surface. Products of that sort provide little actual "isolation".

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Bassman #372706 04/10/12 10:35 AM
Bassman- Door stops are another option that might work better than Hockey Pucks (I don't know that there are really many hockey pucks in use...us Americans like to tease our Northern Neighbors by insinuating that there's nothing that they won't use a puck for!).

I use a product called Mo-Pads by Auralex (at Amazon) for some other speakers I have and like their flexibility. I don't feel they have magical properties, but I DO feel that isolating the speaker from a hard surface is a good thing. They also offer flexibility in terms of the angle they allow the speaker to be positioned.

They're pricey for what they are, but they do the job. Of course, it's easy enough to make something similar.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Bassman #372730 04/10/12 04:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Bassman, what center did you get? When i had a vp150, i used empty DVD cases.. They work wonderfully to angle the speaker, and they are not something one usually wants to throw away, this is also helpful when you forget where you put them :D, i also never "isolated" my center from my shelving...

If you got a vp180, the feet on those speakers use a 1/4 20 thread bolt, i got 2 2" 1/4 20 bolts, to put on the rear feet to get the 180 angled down.

Hope this helps.

Bassman #372737 04/10/12 05:13 PM
B
Bassman Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
B
I have the VP100 center speaker. I have a set of MoPad's for my little home studio. So I can test the center with that but I may try something cheap or free like CD cases or pieces of cardboard.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044