Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: HDMI question
SBrown #373337 04/14/12 04:18 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
Originally Posted By: SBrown
Speaking of HDMI...I buy this new Gateway system they have from Shaw Cable and I have been having fallouts in the sound and then last night I went to turn the TV on and NO sound.

So..I went to go online and get the number, no cable? I phone them, and we finally get my cable going. The next day(today) I wake up and no sound on the TV.

After all of this, I went and unplugged my cable box ,and now it`s GOLDEN.

I just had to reset it.

Life is good!
My parents are using Shaw's new gateway/portal system and they are having freeze ups, audio drop outs etc. I have tried using 3 different HDMI cables just in case it was a cable and have bypassed the avr as well, never thought about shutting the dang thing down and resetting it, D'oh!!

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #373347 04/14/12 05:32 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: jakewash
Originally Posted By: SBrown
Speaking of HDMI...I buy this new Gateway system they have from Shaw Cable and I have been having fallouts in the sound and then last night I went to turn the TV on and NO sound.

So..I went to go online and get the number, no cable? I phone them, and we finally get my cable going. The next day(today) I wake up and no sound on the TV.

After all of this, I went and unplugged my cable box ,and now it`s GOLDEN.

I just had to reset it.

Life is good!
My parents are using Shaw's new gateway/portal system and they are having freeze ups, audio drop outs etc. I have tried using 3 different HDMI cables just in case it was a cable and have bypassed the avr as well, never thought about shutting the dang thing down and resetting it, D'oh!!

Realistically and even to date, HDMI connections out of cable/Sat STBs have always been problematic. Watch for any potential audio/video dropouts down the road since I have found in the past it won't do it right away but usually within a few days of the initial hookup. Why, who knows? Since HD television is 1080i anyway with Dolby Digital sound in one form or another, I have always ended up gravitating back to component connections through my AVR along with coax/optical audio and HDMI out from there to the monitor. Although it is more cables, the connections are much more stable and the video and sound quality are equivalent to HDMI anyway.

MarkSJohnson #373352 04/14/12 06:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
One thing I don't like with my 3808 is when streaming network audio it places a similar gap between tracks on a CD.

I also have the same issue as you Mark but I guess I've just learned to ignore it.

-David
MarkSJohnson #373394 04/14/12 11:24 PM
J
J
Casey, Shaw Cable has moved up to 1080P for their HD, I am not sure if this 1080P is just for movies with their on demand stuff as I suspect or if they are in fact upscaling their signal of HDTV to 1080P as well, haven't spent much time investigating the situation. I know the networks are broadcasting in 720P or 1080i depending on the network.

I don't think I have ever noticed an extra gap when listening to music streamed through the 3808, but I seldom listen to entire cd's, I usually just play all tracks and let them come as they may.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #373447 04/15/12 06:37 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: jakewash
Casey, Shaw Cable has moved up to 1080P for their HD, I am not sure if this 1080P is just for movies with their on demand stuff as I suspect or if they are in fact upscaling their signal of HDTV to 1080P as well, haven't spent much time investigating the situation. I know the networks are broadcasting in 720P or 1080i depending on the network.

I don't think I have ever noticed an extra gap when listening to music streamed through the 3808, but I seldom listen to entire cd's, I usually just play all tracks and let them come as they may.

I checked out Shaw's service, their advertising this "EXO" stuff quite a bit, their regional HO is just across the highway from my house. Rogers has got the equivalent on cable with their new service and STB. I suppose Shaw can advertise 1080p capability all they want but I have yet to see any programming ever or for the foreseeable that is transmitting in 1080p. Just takes too much more bandwidth and these service providers would rather add extra channels than add that extra resolution.

I have got the latest Cisco(formerly Scientific Atlanta) STB and still have intermittent problems on programming when connected via HDMI so, as I mentioned, as of now and with no real difference in picture and sound quality connected via component and coax for audio, I have dispensed with using the HDMI connection out of the STB only. Every other source through my AVR connected via HDMI is fine.

casey01 #373458 04/15/12 09:06 PM
S
aficionado
aficionado
S
Thanks Casey, I might go that route. But I mentioned it to Shaw and they said they are "working on it". So I think alot of customers are complaining to solve this issue.

edit: forgot to say I haven't anymore trouble here.

Last edited by SBrown; 04/15/12 09:09 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters