Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Upgrading from a HK AV-630
#373478 04/16/12 03:28 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Hello, I currently have a Harmon Kardon AV-630 receiver and Axiom home theater speakers.

M60 floor R/L
VP 150 ctr
Qs8 surrounds
HSU Sub STF2

I was thinking of upgrading my receiver to have some of the features new receivers offer but I don't want the sound quality to suffer. Can you recommend any receivers that would be comparable sound quality wise. I would only be using 5.1 as it seems to do the job quite well in the 12x24 room. Any suggestions would be helpful. I have not paid much attention to the audio world since I bought this setup seven years ago or so. Many of the new receivers seem much cheaper and quite a bit lighter. That HK weighs over 40lbs I think! Am i wrong to associate weight with a more powerful power supply and likely better quality?

Re: Upgrading from a HK AV-630
Steaktooth #373479 04/16/12 04:23 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Steaktooth
Am i wrong to associate weight with a more powerful power supply and likely better quality?

To a certain extent no, your not.. The main power source of an amp is the transformer/capacitors... A transformer is basically a coil of copper wire, the larger the transformer the stronger the amp can be.... better quality, well that can be another story...

What features are you wanting? I do not have any HDMI in my current system. In a way i am in the same position you are.. I am thinking that will get a HDMI switcher to take advantage of the new video stuff when i had a display that can take advantage of it...

I may get this HDMI switcher, when the time comes.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/produc...=1&format=2

I have talked to some people that have said that the monoprice hdmi switchers are actually of pretty good quality.

Others know a considerable amont more about receivers than myself.

Steaktooth #373482 04/16/12 08:30 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Steak, welcome. As to basic sound quality viewed strictly as an amplifier(no processing features taken into account), there's no need for concern about any well-designed modern HT receiver. They amplify transparently within their designed maximum power limits without adding an audible sonic coloration. Any amplifier that has a "sound" is either incompetently designed or defective.

Amplification should not be bought by the pound; if the desired power capacity is supplied, the weight of the units doing so can vary widely, depending on design, without significant effect.

For more up-to-date features, including most significantly Audyssey MultEQ XT auto-calibration and room correction, I'd suggest that you consider(especially if you still want to consider the weight factor)the factory refurbished(which should be, if anything, even more reliable than a brand-new unit)Onkyo 809 from Accessories4less here , a great bargain at about $600. The 709, with a slightly lower maximum power capacity, is an even better bargain there at around $430.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Steaktooth #373526 04/17/12 03:52 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Just wanted to shout out to a fellow 630 owner! Love mine but alas, for the same reasons I too will be looking to replace it in the not too distant future.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044