Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: What scotch/whiskey/bourbon did you drink last ni?
a401classic #436183 04/04/20 04:53 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Tonight it's Wolcott Kentucky Straight Bourbon ... playing Dar Williams/The Green World

The project ... fixing a M3c cover magnet problem
Hence the opened the end-mill box. The cover magnet came off with the cover and it needed to be press fit back in ... unfortunately

I needed to remove a plastic ring to do it and that didn't look straight forward as it was tied into the tweeter ... so I contacted Ian. He told me this never happened before and he would look into it.

Basically the answer was that if the magnet was loose in the pocket then I could glue it in otherwise I'd probably have to send it back. That seemed kind of dumb so I convinced him I had the tools to make the magnet pocket a bit bigger. My first thought was the mini-mill but it was sitting crowded into a corner on the floor and It wasn't worth setting up as there was a alternative

The drill press is quite good It's variable speed and has a built-in DRO (digital read out).

So end mill in, set 1000rpm, zero at top of pocket, set depth for 1/10th of an inch and a second later a perfect fit ... a drop of glue and ...

done.

a401classic #436187 04/04/20 07:21 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
You have a home machine shop? I'm envious.

a401classic #436188 04/04/20 07:27 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Had several Scotch wiskeys last night.

Johny Walker Blue
Dalmore 15 YO
Bowmore 15 YO
Lagavulin 16 YO
Hibiki - Japanese Harmony

Preferred the Dalmore by far. JW Blue was my second favorite.

The Lagavulin was very smokey, lots of peat, but very smooth. The Bowmore was not as smokey or peaty, but tons of leather. The Hibiki was surprisingly good, and if tasting blind, I would definately have known it was a "Scotch".

a401classic #436191 04/05/20 03:15 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Michael,

We just moved back in and I'm rebuilding the shop. Kind of a bit cramped because all the wall board for the media room is being stored here.

I'm unpacking the shop just to find tools and get it far enough a long to start on the media room again. Of course, I shouldn't be doing any of that as my first priority should be doing taxes ... which I'm sure I'll start next ... yeah, definitely next week ...

As Elmer j. Fudd once said "I've been bad boy ... really bad".

a401classic #436192 04/05/20 03:37 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ok, a bit harsher ... Mad River Revolution Rye (Vermont).
starts with a cocoa nibs flavor, then gets a strongly grassy rye taste which fades leaving the cocoa nibs which lingers ... there's other things going on but I'm not good enough to sort it out ...

Man, I was kind of hoping that the table would keep it calibration but it's 25 thousands higher than I want, has a slight tilt and bet it's going to be out of spec on being parallel to the blade ... and this is after I cleaned and reassembled it. Well not a project for tonight.

Mary Black: No Frontiers

Last edited by rrlev; 04/05/20 03:49 AM.
a401classic #437627 08/04/20 01:11 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well, I made my 500th post and now have the official title of "aficionado".

Well, I'll celebrate that!
So thought I'd try the high rye Redemption bourbon ... pretty harsh (or maybe I just haven't been drinking for a while) ... but between bites of milk chocolate ... damm good!

a401classic #437632 08/04/20 04:26 AM
M
shareholder in the making
M
Congrats. We're celebrating your 500th on the deck by shuffle dancing to Air beats and a roaring fire.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
a401classic #439712 11/18/20 12:31 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
A friend who writes a whiskey blog promised me that the next time he saw any great value buys he'd pickup a few bottles for me ...

Well the other day I received an email to come get them ... hold on ... I think ... wait, a vision, a bit of clairvoyance ... I see, I see, music, I see whiskey, and yes ... chocolate in the not too distant future ... smile or is it crazy
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Below is an excerpt from the email he sent on them ... hope he doesn't mind my posting it here

Here’s a quick listing of what I got you and why:

Highland Park 8yo (year old) by Gordon & MacPhail.
You had this when we came over; at the ongoing sale price, I think this is the best whisky value around.

Glenfiddich Experiment aged in IPA casks, NAS (No Age Statement).
We were sent a bottle of this and I loved it. It was deeply on sale, so I grabbed you one. Very interesting flavors! (Don’t be put off by the NAS. After talking with distillers and brand ambassadors, I learned they do it because in Scotland, if you add one drop of 3yo whisky to a 35yo cask, you have to sell it as a 3yo whisky. So this Glenfiddich probably has a lot of 12-15yo whisky, and then a bunch of 6-10yo whisky, too.)

Amrut Fusion, NAS.
Amrut is made in India, and I’ve become a huge fan. This is made with a combination of Indian and Scottish barley. It’s probably just 3yo, but whisky ages super fast in India because of the heat and humidity, vs. that in Scotland. (Amrut sells 9yo whisky for $900/bottle!) Because of Diwali, there was a 20% off sale on Amrut this past weekend, so I grabbed you a bottle.

Glendullan 18yo.
They just sent us some bottles a few months ago. I like them, and this is the most affordable 18yo around. Also on sale.

Mortlach 14yo by Signatory, another independent bottler.
Mortlach caused me to realize I knew nothing about whisky. I assumed I’d tried all the good distilleries (after I’d had whisky from about 20 or so distilleries). After trying a Mortlach, I realized the whisky world extended off in many different directions and that I had a lot to learn. I’ve not had this particular bottling, but I love the stuff Signatory bought in the late 1990s and bottled a while ago. Weirdly, wonderfully, stores haven’t raised prices on Signatories that they bought 5-10 years ago, and as such, they constitute some of the best value around. A snapshot, if you will, of the whisky market from not long ago! A 14yo Mortlach these days is normally $140 or higher, although to be fair, it’d often be because the proof would be higher. I think this is 80 proof, and independent bottlings can go easily above 100 proof. Over time, I became a fan of higher proof whiskies, but now, generally I tend to water them down and enjoy them more.

I guess the last bit of advice follows from the previous sentence: Since you have whole bottles here, and not just small samples, I’d encourage you to feel free to experiment with adding a few drops of water to a glass, sipping it, and then adding even a few drops more! It usually makes a difference, usually better, occasionally worse, sometimes very odd. (Example: Counterintuitively, adding water can make a “hot” (ie, burning/high alcohol) whisky taste even hotter!

One last note you may not be aware of. Different countries spell whisk(e)y differently. Bourbon and Rye are “whiskey.” Scotch, Japanese, and Indian go with “whisky."

crazy

a401classic #439713 11/18/20 01:47 AM
M
M
Stuff smells like wet labrador retriever that hasn't been washed for a year and tastes like my under-shirt after 4 hours of lumber-jacking in 35C weather.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Mojo #439714 11/18/20 03:05 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I’ll just assume your into wet labrador retrievers and smelly under-shirts .... smile

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters