Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 21 of 29 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 28 29
Re: Talkin' Baseball
medic8r #374678 04/29/12 10:49 PM
devotee
devotee
This team is built to win now,they have some high priced players, veterans that will be cashing some huge checks for many years to come. Some of those contracts would be hard to move, without picking up a substantial amount of cash that would be remaining. Their GM has hand strung this organization, when it comes to the free agent market for two or three years to come. They also without moving some payroll, won't be a major player in any potential block buster trade. Other than their minor league system, and some minor trades what you see is what you got. Now on paper this is one of the three best teams in the AL, they just need to start playing that way.

With out Jesus Christ there can be no Redemption or Salvation.
medic8r #374687 04/30/12 12:40 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur

Yup! This clearly shows his trouble with the breaking ball and changeup this year. I bet in the American League he's getting way more off-speed pitches than he got in the NL. Add to that he's forcing it.

"He has been struggling to hold off on slow pitches outside the strike zone. After chasing only 28 percent of offspeed pitches outside the strike zone last year, he has swung on 31 of 62 such pitches so far this year. Two of his three hits against offspeed pitches this season are on pitches outside the strike zone … on those inside the zone, he is just 1-for-19."

This would be why he's not walking.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/42807/offspeed-pitches-have-pujols-off-base

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
medic8r #374689 04/30/12 01:32 AM
devotee
devotee
Interesting stat, I always remember Albert being somewhat disciplined at the plate. Especially earlier on in his career. A few years back, when teams would intentionally walk him in some situations, he started to be a little less disciplined and would chase. But if his OBP is that low, he's not walking much, hence until he starts doing some damage, the pitching scheme will not change.

With out Jesus Christ there can be no Redemption or Salvation.
medic8r #374717 04/30/12 12:24 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
New team, huge contract, wants to make an immediate impact. It easy to say that he is forcing it at the plate. Bautista is at least not swinging at bad pitches outside the strike zone. The problem with the off-speed stuff for Bautista (breaking balls especially) is pitchers are throwing them for strikes. He seems to be working behind in the count a lot.

-Max Payne
medic8r #374719 04/30/12 12:46 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm actually less concerned about Pujols than I am with the rest of the team. Situational hitting is seemingly non-existent, I don't see anyone making meaningful outs--hitting to the other side to move runners into scoring position, sac flies, bunts, what-have-you. It's like each at bat is a self-contained entity with no bearing on what is on the field at the time. It IS getting slightly better, but we are pretty much in a hole that will be tough to get out of now.

And the bullpen. . . . .aye carumba.

And, I'm frustrated with manager Mike Scioscia trying to fix things by constantly shuffling the line up and playing different players every other day. Yeah, I get that he wants everyone involved, but stick with the starters for right now. Let them get settled and into a rhythm by playing everyday. Worry about substitutes later in the season when everyone needs a good rest.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
medic8r #374741 04/30/12 03:32 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Guys, it's April. You're fandom is peaking too early.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #374748 04/30/12 04:42 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Some guys don't do foreplay. They go stampeding towards the
Click to reveal..
you dirty dog, you!

St_PatGuy #374928 05/02/12 09:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
I'm actually less concerned about Pujols than I am with the rest of the team. Situational hitting is seemingly non-existent, I don't see anyone making meaningful outs--hitting to the other side to move runners into scoring position, sac flies, bunts, what-have-you. It's like each at bat is a self-contained entity with no bearing on what is on the field at the time. It IS getting slightly better, but we are pretty much in a hole that will be tough to get out of now.

And the bullpen. . . . .aye carumba.

And, I'm frustrated with manager Mike Scioscia trying to fix things by constantly shuffling the line up and playing different players every other day. Yeah, I get that he wants everyone involved, but stick with the starters for right now. Let them get settled and into a rhythm by playing everyday. Worry about substitutes later in the season when everyone needs a good rest.

I'm gonna get my first good look at the Angels tomorrow with the Jays coming into town. We just got off a series with the Rangers. They are stacked in all phases...tough team. It was a real treat watching Yu Darvish for the first time in the MLB and he didn't even have that great of control with his fastball(s). I love that wrinkle he can add with that splitter.

Farrell vs Scioscia, this will probably be an over-managed series on both sides.

-Max Payne
medic8r #374943 05/03/12 12:20 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Well, it looks like they are on the edge of finding a little bit of team rhythm. Ha ha, I say that because they are fresh off of a TWO GAME winning streak.

Yeah, I gotta take what I can get at this point.

Texas is going to be a formidable team as they are proving it already this year. Mostly the same players with Darvish picking up where C.J. Wilson left off.

Thank you to your Blue Jays for finally slowing the Rangers down a bit.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
medic8r #374945 05/03/12 12:31 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You can thank this guy for the one win against the Rangers.

But I'm afraid from watching that series we don't have the consistency at the plate to keep up with a team like the Rangers. Their offense is scary good and they even had a few key starters out of the lineup due to injury.

I got a chuckle out of this thread on the Angels MB. Wants to trade Santana + ??? for Lawrie...hahaha...no dice on that one. Where scheduled to miss Weaver this series...thank God...we usually put up duds against him.

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/forum.as...&tid=122789

-Max Payne
Page 21 of 29 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 28 29

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020