Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: all AMP'S sound the same
MarkSJohnson #375664 05/09/12 06:19 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
My car runs better when it's just been washed and waxed.

I think that the origin of my inner Grammar Nazi can be traced back, about twenty years ago, to a car wash sign that says, "CLEAN CARS RIDE GOOD".

It's still there after all these years - a testament to my self-control.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
Gr8_White_North #375678 05/09/12 07:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I wax my car while listening to my garage system making great car waxing music. It does run better when slippery.

[img:center][/img]

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
Gr8_White_North #375721 05/10/12 02:31 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
2X6,

What amp found its permanent home in the garage system over time? I remember seeing a couple different amps in the past. Vintage solid state, modern solid state, single-ended triode?

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
Gr8_White_North #375724 05/10/12 02:48 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I forget, this discussion doesn't apply to 2x6, because many of the amps (and cables) he selects are actually not well designed, and function as tone controls. So they do indeed sound different.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #375729 05/10/12 03:07 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
I forget, this discussion doesn't apply to 2x6, because many of the amps (and cables) he selects are actually not well designed, and function as tone controls. So they do indeed sound different.

This discussion still applies to him. He has probably owned more amps over time than any of us combined. If he owns a couple tube amps so what.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
Gr8_White_North #375732 05/10/12 03:42 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ouch ... Club Neon figures my comments are not worthwhile because my amps are not good enough. I didn't know you were such a snob Club Neon.

I have just shuffled some amps around, again. The Harman Kardon PM 665 started acting weird in one channel, so I retired it and am trying out the Dayton DTA 100a 50 wpc T-Amp with a TCC TC-754 preamp driving a pair of M22s, a Velodyne sub and a Sony CA5ES CDP. Sounds very good so far, but haven't had it in place long enough for the final word.

I'm putting together a new garage system consisting of a pair of Dahlquist DQM 905s driven by a 20 wpc Lepai Tripath with a Vonage power supply, Klipsch LF-10 subwoofer. I haven't decided on which CDP to use.

A Yamaha M80 is in the wings in the event the wee Lepai T-Amp does not work out. I'll report back later BJ1.

Gr8_White_North #375735 05/10/12 04:17 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm sitting in my office working late, listening to one of my favorite systems -

Anthem PVA 5 Amplifier [gets my top rating]
Sony TA E9000ES 5.1 Processor [gets my top rating]
Sony DVP9000ES [gets my top rating]

Love the Anthem amp!!! Truly world class.

BlueJays1 #375792 05/11/12 02:21 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1
Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1
I have often overlooked this myself. A controlled test can't account for this since it is based at a "point in time" which can be influenced by several biases including how an individual was feeling that day.

I agree, my system often sounds much better when it's 70 degrees outside, I have my windows open, and there's a nice breeze.

Actually, mine sounds best with the lights off on a calm night in the winter (less outside traffic, wind ect) with the furnace not running. When the noise floor is at its lowest possible point and my senses are most acute.

Mine sounds the best with naked women running about the room. I'm sure there's some science behind that.

Murph. THere is this thing called the ifnore function. Works quite well.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Gr8_White_North #375803 05/11/12 05:01 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Oh murmurs from the faithful. Ifnore, ignore, nothing to see here, just move along. Naked women, heh heh. Beer!! Tubes bad, Axiom good. Mmmmmm. Must ignore anyone who disagrees. It's physics dude. Your stuff isn't good enough for you to have a worthwhile opinion. We're cool. You're not. We're all on the same page. We're lonely. Where'd everyone go?

Crickets? Oh, tumbleweed!!

2x6spds #375808 05/11/12 11:10 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I should simply "move along," but your post has inspired me.

If all you find here, or all you think we find here, is naked women and beer, then you have totally missed out. Since I don't believe you are that obtuse, I will assume that implication, along with "Your stuff isn't good enough for you to have a worthwhile opinion," "We're cool. You're not." "We're all on the same page," none of which I believe has been asserted or is true, was an attempt at hyperbole.

But, even if those assertions or implications have been made, all you need do is respectfully and courteously disagree.

AH, that brings me to the "must ignore anyone who disagrees" thing. I am so amazed by this phenomenon which I find exists on forums all over the internet. When things get testy during a discussion, invariably someone accuses another/others of picking on him/her simply because they disagree. In most case, it is not the disagreeing that causes a problem, it is the obnoxious, offensive, insulting method of expressing the disagreement that lights the fire. Stunningly, folks never seem willing to examine their own behavior to see if maybe, just maybe, it might be part, or or even all, of the catalyst. I suspect any desire, on the part of other forum members, to ignore you has more to do with behavior deemed offensive than with disagreement.

Yes, I know. It takes two to tango. I've said before that I feel you've been mistreated on this forum. Well, you've dished out your share of abuse and this could easily descend into "well you said it first." Regardless, I fear you've reached the point where your only interest in being here is to push our buttons, and being the intelligent and perspicacious person you are, you are very good at it.

I did have a good laugh at the "We're lonely. Where'd everyone go" thing. I get you point and it has merit. However, exceptional support of a company and its products, on a company operated forum, is nothing unusual. Behave as you, and others, have behaved here, on any company run forum, and the results would be the same. Try walking into a biker bar and saying "motorcycles suck." You have every right to do so as long as you are willing to bear the consequences of your actions.

However, there are still a lot of forum participants here and new ones join all the time. I don't feel the least bit lonely or wonder where everyone has gone. We old regulars are still here because we have found some friends and, for the most part, enjoy the courteous, respectful exchange of ideas even with those with whom we disagree. Why are you here?

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082