Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Threw a stereo stand together today
Gr8_White_North #376887 05/23/12 04:22 PM
axiomite
axiomite
What a great project! cool

I need to build an equipment rack for my theater. I am looking at something freestanding, but not a "flexy rack' because those things aren't quite the look I want, and for the size I am looking to build, materials are a couple hundred bucks.

Anyway, I was thinking something simple out of wood/MDF with peg holes or metal shelf standards. The standards would be stronger and more durable for the weight of something like a receiver (or two like I have). Did you use peg holes? If so, how hard were they to drill evenly?

Here is a sample picture I found online of a standard with bracket, holding a shelf, and with a front face to dress it up.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Gr8_White_North #376889 05/23/12 04:32 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Nick, I've used those metal strips on a couple projects and thought they worked just great. I can't imagine the setup and precision necessary to drill peg holes at home - certainly beyond my level of patience.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #376892 05/23/12 04:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Nick, I've used those metal strips on a couple projects and thought they worked just great. I can't imagine the setup and precision necessary to drill peg holes at home - certainly beyond my level of patience.

There's an app jig for that. Seriosuly, Tom, whether it's $40 or $400, there's something(s) out there to allow hacks like me to do all those things people like you "can't imagine." And we hacks like it that way!

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
nickbuol #376893 05/23/12 04:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: nickbuol
What a great project! cool

I need to build an equipment rack for my theater. I am looking at something freestanding, but not a "flexy rack' because those things aren't quite the look I want, and for the size I am looking to build, materials are a couple hundred bucks.

Anyway, I was thinking something simple out of wood/MDF with peg holes or metal shelf standards. The standards would be stronger and more durable for the weight of something like a receiver (or two like I have). Did you use peg holes? If so, how hard were they to drill evenly?

Here is a sample picture I found online of a standard with bracket, holding a shelf, and with a front face to dress it up.

Nick, those standards and brackets come in black, white, tan, etc. as well as metal finishes. I'm sure you could find 'em in brass, too. A pin hole jig at Rockler.com, with a special spring-loaded bit, would run you $50 for the single one and about $80 for the double-sided one. Yes, even 5mm (they also come in 1/4") pins can easily hold the weight of a 40+ lb. receiver.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
Gr8_White_North #376896 05/23/12 05:29 PM
shareholder in the making
I've done the hole drilling. Somehow I managed to do it right, don't ask me how. Next time, I'll probably use the strips.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Gr8_White_North #376897 05/23/12 05:43 PM
A cheapo- way out would be to mount a piece of pegboard to a straight board. This gives you a guide (the board) to put up against the vertical sides of the shelf and a guide for each hole (the pegboard).

You need to be careful of the depth of the holes, of course.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Gr8_White_North #376902 05/23/12 06:15 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
all i did was mark out where i wanted my holes. Drilled through the first board and used it as a template for the rest of the holes.A piece of tape on the drill bit makes it so you dont drill through the all the way I knew i was painting the stand so ijust filled the holes. Must keep the drill level as possible if you dont have a drill press, which i dont.
I made small pilot holes then drilled to 1/4 . For shelf supports i bought some plastic inserts at canadian tire. Our lumber store was closed for long weekend so i didnt get he metal ones,but these work fine . I made my dado with a router which worked really well. 40 bux for the wood,a bit of glue and 50 for the paint.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020