Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: A PSA on PSA's
BobKay #376972 05/24/12 04:34 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Now, now, Bob...

The old world languages leave English bound and gagged for grammar and pronunciation.

"That's one thoroughly tough bough!"

Bren R.

Originally Posted By: BobKay
Ha! french grammar. I'm not an idiot, Tom. Next thing, you're gonna try to convince me that there are declensions and conjugations in Ebonics.

BrenR #376998 05/24/12 09:24 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Before this thread spun out of control, I was thinking that the PSA test (as many times as needed) is MUCH preferable to the doctor's random (and RUDE) thumb.

My doctor and I both agreed that using any measurement, the thumb test is the least favorite for BOTH of us.

That, of course, makes me wonder why a smart person who goes through college (4 yrs), medical school (4 yrs) and the whole intern/residency thing (3yrs)and gets that much smarter and well-educated chooses the specialty of Proctology.

And please, there is NOT enough money to justify that.

BobKay #376999 05/24/12 09:37 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Ray3 #377015 05/24/12 11:39 PM
BobKay Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Ray3
Before this thread spun out of control, I was thinking that the PSA test (as many times as needed) is MUCH preferable to the doctor's random (and RUDE) thumb.

My doctor and I both agreed that using any measurement, the thumb test is the least favorite for BOTH of us.

That, of course, makes me wonder why a smart person who goes through college (4 yrs), medical school (4 yrs) and the whole intern/residency thing (3yrs)and gets that much smarter and well-educated chooses the specialty of Proctology.

It's not about the money, Ray. No med student chooses proctology, it chooses THEM!

Maybe you'd rather have a venture capitalist from Morgan Stanley do it? No, no, a hedgefund manager!

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
BobKay #377019 05/24/12 11:51 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Bob, those Wall-Street types are the target, not the profession.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #377027 05/25/12 12:47 AM
BobKay Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
What I meant was that you want someone who's doing that to you not to be motivated by money (they don't make a lot, either), but by caring for your health, no matter how gross, er, I mean, delicate.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
Ray3 #377035 05/25/12 01:35 AM
aficionado
aficionado

I'm not sure what you mean by this thread spinning out of control. It has been long established that BOTH the PSA test and a rectal exam is VITAL to detect any changes that may occur in the prostate after age 50 (for accuracy's sake it isn't done with the thumb). A PSA test certainly may be preferable to a 'rude' finger but it doesn't make it less important. The procedure isn't painful but it is uncomfortable, and lasts for less than 5 seconds. I've had it done by proctologists as well as family physicians. They know what the proper size and feel of the prostate should be based on age.

There's nothing fun about it, and I get the fact that some people want nothing to do with something as 'invasive' as a prostate exam. The importance of the exam however, cannot be underestimated when combined with a PSA number over time. How to proceed if things change when you get older is debatable (as well as other symptoms that may occur), but the exam's relevance in undeniable.

Epic 80 / SVS PB13 Ultra
Denon 3805 / M2200 Outlaw Monos /
Sammy 55" LED
Spoiler #377043 05/25/12 03:36 AM
BobKay Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Spoiler

I'm not sure what you mean by this thread spinning out of control. It has been long established that BOTH the PSA test and a rectal exam is VITAL to detect any changes that may occur in the prostate after age 50 (for accuracy's sake it isn't done with the thumb). A PSA test certainly may be preferable to a 'rude' finger but it doesn't make it less important. The procedure isn't painful but it is uncomfortable, and lasts for less than 5 seconds. I've had it done by proctologists as well as family physicians. They know what the proper size and feel of the prostate should be based on age.

There's nothing fun about it, and I get the fact that some people want nothing to do with something as 'invasive' as a prostate exam. The importance of the exam however, cannot be underestimated when combined with a PSA number over time. How to proceed if things change when you get older is debatable (as well as other symptoms that may occur), but the exam's relevance in undeniable.

Spoiler, I think Ray was referring to the derailment where we left topic, because I started slandering (the fantasy of) french grammar.

That aside, I'm thrilled you are on top of you health. However, the # of deaths from prostate cancer in men who had a PSA and those who didn't differs by only 4%. In other words, it really doesn't save lives. I have 'em all the time, too, but I was informed more than a year ago about possibly ending up going through hoops of fire for a false positive. Just something good to know before one commits.

BobKay #377056 05/25/12 09:20 AM
aficionado
aficionado

Ah ok, Bob. Ray, I misunderstood what you were referring to with my opening comment so, my apologies.

Bob I agree with you on the PSA numbers. Jumping to something as drastic as prostate removal or other treatments because of a false positive can lead to worse problems than leaving it alone.It's always good to be as informed as possible before making a decision. That's why if I ever get a high PSA number I certainly wouldn't go nuts and immediately start some sort of treatment.

Man, it's annoying getting older. laugh

Epic 80 / SVS PB13 Ultra
Denon 3805 / M2200 Outlaw Monos /
Sammy 55" LED
Spoiler #377074 05/25/12 03:37 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Apology accepted Spoiler. I am removing the latex glove from my right hand....

grin

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020