Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A few questions
#37695 03/18/04 05:20 AM
regular
OP Offline
regular
Hi all, long time lurker, new poster. I am planning on buying a home theater system in April. I am willing to spend some coin, but I want a system that will last me a long time with no continuous costly upgrades.

I have tentatively decided on the Axiom M80 system with an SVS subwoofer and the Yamaha RXV2400 receiver, but I have a few questions.

First, I really like the look of the RBH T1 Signature speakers. Is there a real difference in the sound quality that their "futuristic" looking aluminum cones have compared to the Axiom cones? There is a HUGE price difference, the RBH are $6000 CDN each, erg. What makes them that much better?
I have seen a ton of lower priced speakers with the new cone style, far cheaper than the RBH ones (probably just cheap knock-offs) and I am wondering whether the new cones are better, and if so, why Axiom doesnt use them.

Second, for the SVS users on this board, I am trying to decide between the PC-Ultra and the tallest PC-plus. The ultra is far more expensive, and is doesn't seem to have the same range as its cheaper brother (PC-plus goes down to 16HZ, ultra is only 20). Has anyone ever heard the two subwoofers that can give me a comparison?

I still have not decided on a tv though. Hardest part. I am trying to decide whether to cheap out here and get a rptv that is 40" or so and get a huge DLP (or LCoS) in 05 or 06, or whether I should buy a top of the line rptv now and use that indefintely.

Thoughts, facts, and opinions appreciated.

Re: A few questions
#37696 03/18/04 05:58 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I don't know about the speaker question, but I'm in a similar boat with the tv issue. I've decided to wait. I'm going to give Intel at least a year to see if their LCoS chips have the major impact on the market that they're expecting. If they do - great, but if not, I'm not going to wait forever. A year or so is as long as I think I can put it off before going crazy.

In either case, if you've got the room for a giant TV, get one. You'll kick yourself if you've got the room for it, and opt for a "small" 40" tv.

Good luck, and have fun shopping!

#37697 03/19/04 04:19 AM
buff
buff
In reply to:

The ultra is far more expensive, and is doesn't seem to have the same range as its cheaper brother (PC-plus goes down to 16HZ, ultra is only 20)

The PC-Ultra is tunable down to 12 Hz via the port plugs and the adjustable subsonic filter in the amp.

I've got the PB2+ so I can't personally comment on the cylinder series. But I've read on hometheaterspot.com (in the SVS forum) that the PC-Ultra is very impressive.

Jason

M80 HP v4, VP160 v4, QS8 v1 (3 in 6.1 layout), SVS PB12-Plus/2, Parasound Halo A21, Denon AVR-X4100W
#37698 03/19/04 05:55 AM
regular
OP Offline
regular
Thanks, I didn't see forums when I was on SVS's site. I am not too sure about port plugs though, why would I pay more for what seems to be a reduced sound level? I will have to see if I can find some comparison reviews of the two I guess.

Anyone have an answer about the solid speaker cones?

#37699 03/19/04 08:43 AM
buff
buff
In reply to:

why would I pay more for what seems to be a reduced sound level?

I'm not sure what you mean. The PC-Ultra is more powerful than a PC-Plus in every regard. The Ultra's stock tune (no ports blocked) is 20 Hz. This will give you the most SPL output. You can plug one port for a 16 Hz tune, at the expense of a few dB of output. However even with one port plugged it will still have more clean output than a PC-Plus 16-45 at it's stock tune. The Ultra also has a built-in parametric EQ that will help tune the sub's output to match the room's characteristics.

If you have any questions about what's best for your room size and needs, then just e-mail them. They're very helpful.

Jason

M80 HP v4, VP160 v4, QS8 v1 (3 in 6.1 layout), SVS PB12-Plus/2, Parasound Halo A21, Denon AVR-X4100W

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044