Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: This stinking squeeze box is really pissing me off
michael_d #379072 06/25/12 10:58 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Hey, now.

Mike, I want to hear more about using the Touch as the server. Can you still access those files on your network? I thought of loading all my music onto an external hard drive and using the Touch as a server (i.e. not running Logitech Media Server on a computer), and I can't remember why I didn't do that. Might have had something to do with an inability to sync files with other network resources. Did you - literally - just run a USB cable from the SB to your HP Server?

Rick, I tried to build a Vortexbox out of an older computer yesterday, but couldn't get it to recognize that it is on the network. That's probably NOT my end game, but Mrs. Tuttle has been displeased with the performance of her machine, and I thought if I could stop running media server on it, that might help.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
michael_d #379073 06/25/12 11:44 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Ya, I just ran a USB cable from my server to the touch. Not sure if it matters or not, but the only Male A to Male A cable RS had was a high dollar transfer cable, so I bought it. Obviously my server and the touch have Male A ports....

I run the Squeezebox software on my server. The Touch is used to access the music files. It was amazingly simple. It recognized the server immediately, no fiddling with anything. It is working way-mo betta than the duet did accessing music files via the home network. I still have the server on my network, and use it for backing up my other computers.

Rick, the Touch comes with a little remote, but it's IR, so you have to point it at the Touch. Nothing fancy, just a plane ol remote. I do sorta miss the Duet controller, as you could carry it around the house and actually see album art and all that. But I sure don't miss its fussiness. This Touch is working without any issue - so far.

michael_d #379075 06/26/12 12:36 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Ah! So you're still running Logitech Media Server software on the server computer. Got it.

I've had really good luck using my iPad as the controller. Love it. That would solve your Duet controller angst.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #379083 06/26/12 01:32 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle

I've had really good luck using my iPad as the controller. Love it. That would solve your Duet controller angst.

No kidding there Tom, I absolutely love using either the iPad or the iPhone as a remote controller for both the Touch and the Classic players. I use the Touch in the main listening area, the Classic is used primarily for the back patio system and the garage but I'm thinking about getting another Classic dedicated to the garage so that I won't have to physically disconnect it from the outside system. What's really cool about the iPad/iPhone controllers is that the players can all be synced to play the same music or each can be playing different music using one controller.

I absolutely love the setup, mostly because it's a no brainer setup and not complicated to use ... and the shit works.

Rick
Our Room

smile
michael_d #379084 06/26/12 01:45 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Mike here are the apps I use..

SqueezePad for iPad .... http://www.squeezepad.com/

IPeng for iPhone .... http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-the-iphone-skin-for-squeezecenter/#comments

Squeezepad does not have an app for the iPhone so that is why I use the different controllers, I do have both SqueezePad and IPeng controllers on my iPad but prefer using the SqueezePad.

Rick
Our Room

smile
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616