Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
This stinking squeeze box is really pissing me off
#378640 06/16/12 04:33 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I'm done with this stupid thing. I have the Duet, and it's been a love / hate relationship from day one. Sporadic connectivity issues (regardless if it's wired, wireless or hybrid) that always happen when guests are over, it doesn't play with Rhapsody well at all, the damn battery is good for about 15 minutes off the charging cradle.... It's outta here. I'm round filing the SOB.

I'm looking around for something to replace it with. It looks like the Sonos or "cough" Logitech Touch are my choices. Are there any other options for me to consider??? Anyone have the Touch for a while now that can vouch for it? Rick, you have one right??

I do not have an Ipad or Iphone, and I am not about to get either....

I have all my music on a HP Smartmedia Server. I want to keep it on this server. I just need something to talk to the server for my music collection that's all FLAC, and the Internet for Pandora / Rhapsody, then send that data to my pre-amp.

Re: This stinking squeeze box is really pissing me off
michael_d #378641 06/16/12 04:45 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Mike send that Duet to me, I'll be more than happy to throw it in the pool for you ... I love doing that, my wife thinks I'm nuts but it sure is a tension reliver.

I have both a Classic and a Touch for about a year or so now and love them both, never had an issue with either. I'm using Vortexbox appliance for storage, the Logitechs and the VBA makes for a great combination. I was looking at the Duet a while back and if the old brain can remember correctly I believe I read some not so favorable reviews.

Rick
Our Room

smile
michael_d #378646 06/16/12 11:48 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M

Do you stream Rhapsody Rick? That has been hit / miss, always. Pandora works all the time. I actually like the controller that comes with the Touch more than the Sonos, so I'd prefer to go that route, but not if it isn't any more stable that this stupid Duet. Glad to hear it's working for you, that's encouraging.

michael_d #378647 06/17/12 12:07 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Mike I do not stream Rhapsody, only because I forgot to sign up and keep forgetting to sign up. I do have all of our collection ripped in FLAC also and let my Pandora subscription laspe because if I'm we're not listening to our own music we usually have one of thousands of Internet stations playing and just wasn't listening to Pandora much at all.

Both my wife and I have the Squeezebox remote apps for our iPads as well as our iPhones so as of right now I can't tell you what the Touch and Classic remotes even look like ... does the Touch even have a remote? We absolutely love the setup and the Vortexbox has worked flawlessly and effortlessly so far. I believe Tom uses either the Touch or Classic (maybe both?) and uses his iPad as a remote as well, I'm almost sure that what he uses. He'll chime in I'm sure.

Rick
Our Room

smile
michael_d #378648 06/17/12 01:17 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
You guys and your Ipads.... I may just have to cave and get one. Thanks for the feedback..

michael_d #378651 06/17/12 01:58 AM
shareholder in the making
Mike, it won't hurt a bit.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
michael_d #378663 06/17/12 05:32 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I scarrrreedddd Ken... The dark side beckons..

michael_d #378664 06/17/12 06:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
mike, apple is the side of enlightenment brotha. you will see, when you buy your new ipad...

P.S., All joking aside. I have been using a Mac since 98, back then i had a powerbook laptop. It was 1/2 as fast as my Dual processor windows machine at the time. However, i enjoyed using the laptop more.. As far as their computers go, i enjoy not having to clean out the registry on a somewhat regular basis.. I will admit the last PC i owned was back in 2003, so maybe dealing with corrupt registries due to crap you pickup online are a thing of the past. I have Never had a problem with any of my Mac's, i turn them on and they work Every time.

Honestly, all of the viruses ect are one of the motivating forces for me to switch. The Mac OS does crash from time to time, however from time to time is more like 1 or 2 times a year..

Anyhow, i do not want to continue on as a "fan boy". I like their products for a specific reason, the damn things just work. grin

Last edited by dakkon; 06/17/12 06:21 PM.
michael_d #378682 06/18/12 11:39 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Some quick thoughts:

Sad to hear of a dislike for the Squeezebox since I love mine so much. Of course, I have an older model that starting to look archaic until iPod/IPad, remote control integration turned it into a high tech. toy again.

Sonos seems to be the popular choice for dedicated units these days and the multi-room ability is a bit more refined. The price is still hard to swallow though.

Maybe now that receivers are maturing through the streaming world, investigating some solutions for a new receiver might be worth a look as well.

I like the mental bump of being able to send FLAC as a pure digital source all the way through my house right to the receiver but if I had to start over, I'd be torn.

Also, with laptops becoming so cheap, you can pick up a dedicated music library/player for almost next to nothing these days. Get something with a touch screen for the flare factor or just add a Bluetooth remote to operate it from across the room.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #378686 06/18/12 12:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Murph
I have an older model that starting to look archaic

Do you have one of the original wood-fired models? grin

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic