Re: This stinking squeeze box is really pissing me off
michael_d #378821 06/20/12 04:02 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I ordered a Touch.

How do you give something a static IP address??

michael_d #378823 06/20/12 04:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I think you'll really like the Touch Mike, I set my static IP address on the Votexbox settings but I don't see how to do it with Squeezebox. I'm not too terribly bright regarding all things geeky so I don't know if and whenever you set up the static IP address on your HP server if it automatically carries the address over to the Squeezebox or not ... my guess, pulled completely outta my ass says yes it will? Looks like it did just that with my Vortexbox.

Speaking of which...

I do remember having a hell of a time trying to get things to mesh whenever I was first setting all of our stuff up and it seems whenever I set a static IP up all of the troubles went away.

Good luck with it amigo!

Rick
Our Room

smile
michael_d #378827 06/20/12 06:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: michael_d
I ordered a Touch.
How do you give something a static IP address??

That's very tough to answer because it depends entirely on the uniqueness of your individual network and what gear is used.

In short and without intending the sarcasm that this will undoubtedly sound like..... If you have to ask, it's probably better if you stick with the automated method. However, I'd be happy to help out if you decide to dive in. I'll try to summarize the high level but it's impossible to give a step by step without knowing all your individual details.

Any networked device generally has two options somewhere in its setup.
1. It can be assigned a static IP that never changes or
2. You enable it's DHCP client that goes out looking for a DHCP server to give it a number every time you turn it on.

Where you change this depends on the device and/or it's operating system.

Generally, in a home network, it is the Internet router that is set up as a DHCP server to assign addresses to anything that asks for one. It will have lots of settings as well but again, they will differ from model to model. In more complex networks, another PC may be utilized as a DHCP server.

In the above common home environment, to assign a static IP to a particular device, you need to know how to do two things.

1. How to go into that device's network settings to turn off the DHCP client and assign it a usable IP number (and other associated information.) You also need to understand subnets (how ranges of IP numbers work) in order to assign it a valid one.

2. How to go into your DHCP server and "reserve" that number so it never assigns that particular number to another computer. If two devices end up with the same IP, that is bad and neither usually work.

Another scenario is that in the DHCP server, you reserve an IP for a particular device based on its MAC address. The MAC Address is the device's network 'serial number'. It is unique, assigned by the manufacturer and normally never changes. When the device boots up and goes searching for a DHCP server to assign it a number, the server checks it's MAC address and realizes that there is a 'reservation' listed for that address,. It then always assigns the chosen IP for that device.

More complexity.
DHCP also takes care of a bunch of other things for you that you need. Not only does it automate getting an IP address but it also dishes out other important pieces of information like the default gateway, subnet mask, DNS addresses and other important settings. If you manually set an IP, you have to enter in all these yourself. Again leading back to my first point, which I hope you now realize was not sarcasm.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
michael_d #378828 06/20/12 06:55 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I think you'll be happy, I purchased a Touch recently to stream Rhapsody and it works perfectly, with the exception of the occasional hiccup caused by the wireless router, which for some reason once in a while assigns the same IP address to two devices (Netgear WNDR4500 N900 Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Router). I went with the Touch after finally giving up on the Denon 3808ci when the Denon rep told me I would have to revert to factory default settings and see if that helped multiple internet connectivity issues that were essentially random; I was quite skeptical since the amp would only stream Rhapsody once in a blue moon, and then would freeze or shut down without cause mid session.

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."
michael_d #378842 06/20/12 09:16 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Mike, I got a touch. It seems fine. I still have to reboot it about once a week, though.

Murph, I thought you had a touch, also.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
michael_d #378856 06/21/12 12:44 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Murph, thanks for the informative response. I have a LAN throughout the house, and can utilize that if needed. I have a Liksys E3000 router and two Linksys ten port switches in the office hub where the Internet router is. That is also where all the LAN cables are routed to a 12 port LAN patch block. From the block, I have patch cables to the two switches and the router. I can then just plug a patch cable into the the patch block as needed in the different rooms throughout the house. I obviously use wireless as well, for some things like my laptop. This hub is also where all my cable and phone lines tie together. The phone is a 110 block, cable is a mess of different ported hubs. I did the installation and terminations myself, with the help of a comm tech friend of mine and a case of beer.....

At both rooms where I have audio gear, I have a four port switch that plugs into the LAN. The devices on the EQ racks then plug into the switches. I have them set up this way, as they all get firmware updates via Internet, or they have Internet functionality of some sort.

I have my HP Media Server plugged into the network as well.

I am running Widows 7 on all my computers, and I used the homegroup set up wizard for each, with a set up key.

I do have odd network issues. Sometimes I can not access a computer from a different computer, although I have set each up to allow unlimited access on the network. Between Nortons and all the other shit I don't understand, I'm sure this problem is my own doing. I should just pay someone to come over and fix this, but I hate not knowing how to do something myself, so I tend to fumble around and make things worse, then ask the Axiom forum to fix my mistakes...LOL>

michael_d #378876 06/21/12 04:36 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: michael_d
so I tend to fumble around and make things worse, then ask the Axiom forum to fix my mistakes...LOL>

Michael, this was my favoriate sentence of your post. Just though i would share wink.

michael_d #378881 06/21/12 11:43 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Tom,
Nope. I hardly ever get a Touch. Sad really.
Also, I have the old LCD screened Squeezebox with the IR, buttoned remote. However, I use iPeng on my iPod Touch as a wireless, touch interface. It was like getting the latest, greatest Squeezebox for just $6.99 which is what the app cost.

Michael,
Ya, home networks can be finicky. Businesses spend a lot of time, dollars and energy to lock them down and work out the bugs but with home networks, we just want to be able to just turn stuff on and have it work. It usually does 95% of the time but the other 5% can be a bitch.

Doesn't sound like you have anything unusual there. Unfortunately, it's very hard to work the bugs out of someone else's set up without being there to view it and play around. You may be on the right track for odd ball connection problems on the "Norton's and all the other shit" angle. The Windows 7 networking tools seem to do a pretty good job but remember that you only need one firewall running on a PC. Two will not only slow it down but often cause issues as well.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
michael_d #379063 06/25/12 05:59 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Got the Touch hooked up yesterday. Took about five minutes. Everything synced, it's working perfectly so far. One thing I really like, is that it has usb. I can hook my server up to it via usb, verse the network. My network is a mess. I need to hire someone to fix it.

michael_d #379070 06/25/12 08:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Glad the Touch is working out for you Mike, how does it compare to the Duet remote wise?

Rick
Our Room

smile
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616