Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Cable service provider, who do you have?
dakkon #379957 07/13/12 07:33 AM
shareholder in the making
Alex, whether any sort of U-verse service is available now can be checked online at www.att.com/u-verse/availability/. A representative should be available during regular business hours for more details.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

dakkon #379958 07/13/12 11:37 AM
No, Verizon was the only major provider of fiber-to-the-premesis. AT&T is trying to cheap out with U-Verse.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
dakkon #379969 07/13/12 06:16 PM
dakkon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Ken,

Do you think DSL has enough bandwidth to provide all of the services that they advertise? historically DSL has always been a bit slower than Cable modem, and of course would be MUCH slower than Fiber to the house.

dakkon #379970 07/13/12 06:20 PM
It's ADSL2, and it's within a few miles of the fiber drop, afaik. ADSL2 has pretty high bandwidth. I'd say if they're not providing what they're advertising, the internet would have been up in arms about it.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
dakkon #379972 07/13/12 08:28 PM
H
aficionado
aficionado
H
Originally Posted By: dakkon
Right now I have Time Warner. We have a "bundle" cable/internet/phone.. The cable package we have is the basic HD.. The reason i bring this up, is that our bill is 195$ a month...

Verizon Fios isn't an option, due to no availability in my neighborhood.

My other option is AT&T Uverse.

So, my question is. How reliable is has the AT&T service proven to be for those of you that have chosen to go that route.

If i switch to AT&T, i can easily get more channels and the same internet speed and phone for equal to my current monthly cost, or less.

Thanks.

Have you looked at the "whole home signature dvr" service?
You get 50Mbps/5Mbps Internet, two DVRs, and phone service. I got that.

But when FIOS comes here, I'll get the phone and internet service from FiOS. The upload speed of FiOS is much better than anyone else - download speed is a nobrainer...FiOS wins hands down. On the TV side, although FiOS is better in terms of picture quality (they don' compress the signals because they have BW to spare), they don't have as many HD channels as TWC.

In NYC area, $195 is the cost of whole home signature service.

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers
dakkon #379978 07/13/12 10:57 PM
dakkon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Hansang, no i hadn't even thought of that... I called time warner and talked to them about the signature service. They have a special department setup for their signature service. After talking to a rep for a while, he said that the signature service "is more expensive, but you get a lot more". After hearing him out i would agree. One point that i appreciated was signature techs are level 3 techs that have been selected to be a signature tech. So, if there are any problems the first tech out should be able to fix it.. This was a sticking point for me, due to a phone/internet issue i had earlier this year that required 3 different techs to come out, the last one being a level 3 tech...

Also, the "more expensive" part, well for the basic signature service it was 10$ a month more... Which gives a decent amount more options due to a much better DVR, it also includes a 50meg internet connection... i currently have a 10meg connection... So, the extra benefits for 10$, that alone would have been worth it...

However, there was another "even more expensive" option... This option for me was 17$.. This option included everything else, in addition to every movie channel they offer... Normally it would have been a bit more, but since i have been a customer for greater than 2 years, i was eligible for a discount...

So, i went with the 17$ option grin. One of the other large factors that helped me make my decision was the quality of customer service that Time Warner has provided.. Granted i did have one issue, but everyone tried to help. With the signature service, the guy said that one of the areas that they are focusing on is a higher level of customer service due to the extra cost, which really isn't that much more... Actually it's less expensive than buying all of the services through a normal package....

Also, they gave me an exact time for the tech to show up to install the new equipment, not a 4 hour window..!!!

Last edited by dakkon; 07/13/12 11:24 PM.
dakkon #380201 07/17/12 04:36 PM
aficionado
aficionado
That's too bad about your lengthy wait for a service rep. We switched from Time Warner to U-verse about four years ago and have not had any problems with billing or customer service since. I had a folder just to keep up with calls that I made to Time Warner and bills that were incorrect. I don't know that you will save a great deal of money by switching but for me the better service was worth it. Good luck!

dakkon #380458 07/20/12 07:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Cox cable, phone, cable TV and internet.

I think their service is great.

Download per auditmypc.com 30.57 mb, upload 1.6

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
dakkon #380461 07/20/12 09:55 PM
dakkon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
The new service was installed today..

Right now i am getting 46.7mb down, and 5.1mb up.

using http://www.speedtest.net/

The menu screen on the cable box is horrible though.. The menu on the previous box was much more intuitive. Also, on the other box you could filter stations by HD only.. The new box does not have any filtering options at all, the tech said that this was the v1.0 of the menu, and that he was going to start beta testing the next version of the menu next month.. He said that he is one of the local beta testers for the signature service... He also gave me his cell number, and said that i could call/txt him with any questions as he is my "dedicated" tech, so for any issues he will always be the one helping. Which is fine with me, as we B.S.ed about audio/video stuff for a good 30-45min prior to his leaving.

There was absolutely no rush at all, this was the first time that i have experienced a tech that wasn't under a time constraint, it was quite nice.

dakkon #380465 07/20/12 11:45 PM
devotee
devotee
25.73 download & 2.48 upload i've got the medium speed package from Cox Cable

hope they follow suit with fios & comcast who are doubling their users speeds without any extra charge

i'm happy with the speed i get, but, double this speed at no charge would be nice! if they did that, i'd pay to move up to the premium speed package which would have been 50 but doubled up to 100. so far, i haven't heard anything from the cable company; i'll just have to wait and see. hopefully, to not lose customers, they will match them!

SonySXRD55"
Marantz AV7702MKII pre-amp
Emotiva XPA-5,UPA-2amps,
14 Speakers, All Axiom
Oppo 105D&93
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945