Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: SS Cookware?
michael_d #382060 08/24/12 07:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Michael

This is the set of SS cook that i bought

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Ano...95/product.html

It isn't ridiculously priced and is good quality.. I would say "near" to what All-clad is. The Sur la table stuff is nice as well, i have a couple pieces from them also. For the money, i think the set i got from overstock is one of the best values. The handel's are riveted on, which you said you would rather not have. However, i have never had an issue cleaning them they don't take any more time to clean than my other cookware.. Actually in some regards SS is easier.. If something gets baked on.. you can just use some SS buffing compound and it "magically" disappears. The handles are also big enough that they feel good in ones hands.

I have had the above cookware for 7 years now, and they are still in very good condition. I think for the price i got a heck of a deal... While they are admittedly not quite as good as all-clad, i would say they are 80-90% of the quality of all-clad, at a MUCH lower price point...

michael_d #382061 08/24/12 07:39 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I keep reading the title and thinking of stuff like this: http://alexkap.com/node/1

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #382068 08/25/12 12:11 AM
axiomite
axiomite
20 years ago, there was a huge difference between the cheap and expensive ss cookware. Not so now. I have had an inexpensive Meyer set for 7 years now and it is waaaay better than the expensive Italian stuff we got as a wedding gift 25 years ago.

I would also suggest that cookware technology has moved beyond ss. I've had a Greenpan ceramic coated aluminum frying pan for a year now. This stuff is tough, heats much more quickly than the expensive ss/aluminum stuff, heats very evenly and cleans better than any of the other no stick stuff. It also handles much higher temperatures than any other no stick type.

When I need more pots or pans, I will go to Greenpan. They have expensive and cheap options. For the ones I have seen, the difference seems to be a plastic vs stainless handle. The pots and pans themselves are the same.

Last edited by fredk; 08/25/12 12:13 AM.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
michael_d #382087 08/25/12 09:04 PM
D
old hand
old hand
D
Originally Posted By: michael_d

I don't like rivets in pans either. I just don't have the patience required to clean all around the damn things.

The Paderno Classic Series have welded handles. We have some 20+ year old pots that still in great shape.

Dundas #382135 08/26/12 04:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Dundas
Originally Posted By: michael_d

I don't like rivets in pans either. I just don't have the patience required to clean all around the damn things.

The Paderno Classic Series have welded handles. We have some 20+ year old pots that still in great shape.

Padernos are solid pots.
Nice no drip lip edge for pouring liquids.
Solid base of aluminum for heat transfer.
Until they eventually get pitted over time, they are very smooth on the surface making it no stick with a bit of oil or butter.

Started in Canada out on the island.
https://paderno.com/can/corporate.php

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
medic8r #382136 08/26/12 04:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: medic8r
No more eating Teflon chips.

Another good point.
Don't buy Teflon coated items.
Any halogenated compound i've seen over the years in manufacturing comes back to haunt humans in about 10 to 20.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetrafluoroethylene

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #382137 08/26/12 04:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Cool link Chess. I did not know Paderno was Canadian.

I'm telling you guys, with the new ceramic no stick coatings, there is no reason to ever go near teflon again. I still think they make a good replacement for ss as well.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
michael_d #382149 08/26/12 08:30 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I checked out the Paderno. Not too sure about the handles. Are they comfortable enough??

My obsession with rivets (not) may have to be put aside. Welded handles appears to be a bit of a novelty feature that not very many offer. I'm also wondering just how robust the welds are too. They look like they are spot welded. They definately are not welded with filler metal.

I know I'd prefer an edge for pouring, more so than no rivets. We tend to cook larger portions when we do cook, so we have a few left over's during the week. We don't have much time in the evenings, so we usually just cook on the weekends. After buying a pot with a rolled edge for pouring, I now know that is an important feature.

I'm deliberating between the Mauviel M'cook S/S line and the Demeyere Industry 5 line that Sur la Table sells. I was about ready to buy Sur la Table's one line of SS cookware but they don't have rolled edges.
I'm also thinking I probably do not want shiny SS. I'm betting it's hard to keep clean and scratches easier than a brushed SS would.

I have some non-stick pans, but after using SS, I prefer it over non-stick. It's probably just how I cook (mostly wrong), but it seams to me that SS sears meat better.

If taste were the only consideration, I'd stick with good ol' cast iron. I love the way food tastes cooked in cast iron, but I just don't have the patience to deal with it. I've tried and tried, but it's a pain to clean and store. And it's heavy as hell.

What a PITA this is.... I spend less time picking out AV gear than this.

medic8r #382165 08/27/12 11:03 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: medic8r
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
We got lucky (20 years ago) and bought a set of All-Clad clone stuff at Costco. Still have it.

We got the same thing a year or two ago and love it. Like Ken said, cleanup is easy. I was stumped by some discoloration until my wife told me about Bar Keepers Friend.

Have a good amount of all-clad (3-ply) and love it. Handle angle identical to all the other cookware we have, so not an issue here. The key to making it semi-non-stick is to heat the pan, THEN put the oil on and cook at a slightly lower temp than before the oil went in.

Another vote for Barkeeps - great stuff - removes all discoloration.
We buy a set of teflon non-stick at Sam's (No Costco yet, but coming soon!) every other year about the time when the teflon flakes start to show up.

Scott

My HT
michael_d #382168 08/27/12 12:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
We have Paderno as well. The annual factory sale here was a regular event for us until we had all we needed. Our first ones were wedding gifts 17 years ago and those items are still as good as new.

Very good heat transfer. We were used to cheaper pots before that and had to get used to the fact that you need not (nor should you) turn the heat up as high. For a couple of days we were disappointed as we mistakenly though they were bad for sticking but we quickly realized it was our fault. Once we stopped turning the burners to Max all the time, they were great.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters