Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: SS Cookware?
michael_d #382169 08/27/12 12:43 PM
shareholder in the making
Scott, I'm always afraid I'll warp the pan if i do that. Hearing that someone else does makes me more comfortable.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #382174 08/27/12 01:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm not talking red hot or anything close, but 400-450F for sure.

Scott

My HT
Murph #382176 08/27/12 02:01 PM
S
aficionado
aficionado
S
We have Lagostina SS cookware and they have no rivets. We have had them around twenty years and they still are my favorite.

michael_d #382180 08/27/12 03:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: michael_d
I checked out the Paderno. Not too sure about the handles. Are they comfortable enough??

You definitely have something for handles i see...
smile
I can't say i've ever used any pot that had handles so comfortable that i could flip flapjacks all day long.
That being said, the Paderno have a slightly curved but otherwise flat metal handle. If carrying a pot of boiling water over to the sink for dumping as an example, i would say the Paderno are not the most comfortable.
Maybe, 7 out of 10?

My obsession with rivets (not) may have to be put aside. Welded handles appears to be a bit of a novelty feature that not very many offer. I'm also wondering just how robust the welds are too. They look like they are spot welded. They definitely are not welded with filler metal.

The Paderno handles won't break.
I saw a show once on "how that's made" where they had the Paderno pots.
The welds are tested at pretty high strengths.

Quote:
I know I'd prefer an edge for pouring, more so than no rivets.

The Paderno have an amazing edge for this. Best i've seen.

Quote:
If taste were the only consideration, I'd stick with good ol' cast iron. I love the way food tastes cooked in cast iron, but I just don't have the patience to deal with it. I've tried and tried, but it's a pain to clean and store. And it's heavy as hell.

We have a few.
Use them a few times a month, but not daily. Too heavy and cleaning is more of a pain.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
michael_d #382181 08/27/12 03:06 PM
I use my cast iron pretty much weekly. Cleaning is no problem at all if they're properly seasoned and you have a scrubby pad.

Ken.C #382184 08/27/12 03:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
I use my cast iron pretty much weekly. Cleaning is no problem at all if they're properly seasoned and you have a scrubby pad.

We don't scrub ours.
Just wipe it out with a damp dish rag. Lightly re-oil with a paper towel and veg oil.
No rust. Blackens over time.
The last pan i bought was pre-seasoned so already pretty black. We don't' have to do much oiling with it after a wiping out.
The same process applies for our wok. It was not pre-seasoned though so we have to oil it more or it does rust around some edges.

Note that stainless steel DOES rust. It is a common misconception that it doesn't.
Stainless steel doesn't STAIN (very easily).
That being said, some grades of SS rust faster than others.
Aluminum doesn't rust.
Many SS pots have an aluminum or chromium oxide finish (i.e. a nonrusting metal blend; also good for heat transfer), but it is hard to tell exactly what the mix and blends are such that some pots could rust under simple conditions (like our wok which is SS but not oxide coated) yet others do not (like our Paderno).

michael_d #382185 08/27/12 03:29 PM
Ah, cast iron, it's like religion.

I normally just wipe it out, but if there's a little stuck on, a little elbow grease with an abrasive pad (no soap!) and then rinse it out, stick it on the stove on low heat, then after a little bit wipe it down with oil.

michael_d #382187 08/27/12 03:37 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Most 400 series SS alloys have a carbon component. There is also a duplex SS which is a high bread alloy with a high carbon percentage used when the strength of carbon is needed, but corrosion resistance of SS is also needed.

So not ALL SS variants rust, only those with a carbon component in the brew.

michael_d #382189 08/27/12 04:16 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Most 400 series SS alloys have a carbon component. There is also a duplex SS which is a high bread alloy with a high carbon percentage used when the strength of carbon is needed, but corrosion resistance of SS is also needed.

So not ALL SS variants rust, only those with a carbon component in the brew.

And kids, never try to clean carbon steel with acid.

Just saying...
smile

Ken.C #382193 08/27/12 04:51 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
Ah, cast iron, it's like religion.

I normally just wipe it out, but if there's a little stuck on, a little elbow grease with an abrasive pad (no soap!) and then rinse it out, stick it on the stove on low heat, then after a little bit wipe it down with oil.

That seems like a lot of work. My parents use a huge, cast iron frying pan that they have owned for as long as I have memories. My Dad refuses to use anything else. He even heats cans of soup in it rather than using a pot. He says it heats it up quicker when it's spread across the wider, heated surface area. He has a point there but it still looks funny.

I am quiet sure they have never applied any oils to it that were not a result of bacon frying or butter for cooking. They also wash it with dish soap every time. I know nothing about curing pots so I must assume that it is just yet another miracle of bacon.

Last edited by Murph; 08/27/12 04:54 PM. Reason: frying soup expansion

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters