Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DVD or dedicated CD players?
#3822 06/20/02 03:45 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Which has better sound for music?
The new DVDs and DACs? or new CD players with new DACs?
or older cd players with that 'classic' sound?

Care to list your fav cd playback machine? I'm curious to see what combos or separate components everyone is using with their home Axiom setups.

Hmm, when i get the time this weekend maybe i'll turn this post into an actual poll. I think i saw coding for that somewhere in the faqs

Last edited by chesseroo; 06/20/02 03:46 AM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Re: DVD or dedicated CD players?
#3823 06/21/02 12:20 AM
local
local
Im still a newb but ive heard from several people that cd players still sound better than dvd players; just because they are dedicated to cds. I myself use a craporific Sony hifi system to play back my plastic I heard that the Rotel RCD 971 is a very good cd player for the money

1xAxiom ax 1.2 2xPolk Audio R30 2xMordaunt-Short 3.0 H/K AVR 225 Paradigm PDR-10 Sub HTR MX-500
#3824 06/22/02 11:31 PM
buff
buff
I"m useing a JVC 7-disc progressive scan, dvd,dvd-audio,cd,mp3 player with a Onkyo 787 receiver driving a pair of m-80's,a vp150 center a rava 12" sub up front with a pair of DCM bookshelfs and a JBL rear center with a powered 10" JBL sub in the back and I'm pretty happy.I will be upgradeing the rears to qs8's soon.the only drawback to useing one player for everything is cleaning the lens more often.

#3825 07/04/02 02:48 AM
regular
regular
It is an interesting question. I would believe all the bits on the music CD are read (as opposed to an algorithm that selectively ignores some as redundant) whether the reading device is a CD player or a DVD player. Also both would employ similar error correction logic. Given this, it is a relatively simple exercise to recreate the analog equivalent although I would believe DVD players would use a separate DAC path for processing the audio signals (in relation to the video signals) if only because this obviates the need to design a DAC filter section that straddles the entire spectrum from audio frequencies to the video frequencies which would be a rather challenging design objective.

If this is true, playing a CD on a DVD player should not really make a difference. I only have a DVD player which I use for both CDs and DVDs and in my experience CDs play at a louder volume than DVDs containing the same music. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has both (preferably based on comparable technologies and running through a same receiver) if the CDs sound different on a DVD player than in a CD player.

Prem
#3826 07/04/02 04:29 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Prem, as I said about a week ago on another thread, there's no technical reason for a CD/DVD player not to handle both equally well. Modern players have dual laser arrangements, one optimized for CDs the other for DVDs. It isn't unusual for a player to have a different voltage output for the two types of discs, but this can be "corrected" merely with a small change in the volume control. Other than possibly this small difference in output which should be no problem, there should be no difference. Possibly you're talking about something more than this, but bear in mind that even very small variations in volume, which aren't apparent as such, can be perceived as qualitative rather than quantitative differences.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#3827 07/04/02 09:16 AM
veteran
veteran
Prem

Basicly, I tend to agree with your assessment (bits is bits, etc) and DVD players should be as good as CD players for playing music. However, just like CD players, amplifiers, receivers, and speakers - all DVD players are not created equal. Some have "better" (subjective analysis - but at least "different") DACs, components, power supplies, etc. All of those different parts could/should have an effect on the overall sound produced. So in theory, some CD only players could at least sound "different" (or perhaps better - again subjective) than a DVD/CD player.

Not trying to kick your butt here - just pointing out some possibilities to consider.

Randyman

#3828 07/04/02 01:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Randyman, JohnK, and Prem,

You're all correct, and in my comparisons so far, I've not detected audible differences that couldn't be attributed to the analog output sections of DVD or CD players. When I switched to the coaxial or optical feed to my receiver's D/A converter, I heard no differences whatsoever between the CD and the DVD players.

By the way, our acoustic memory for audible nuances is extremely short. To make really valid comparisons, you must run duplicate CDs on the DVD and CD players, sync them up, and switch instantaneously between the two machines.

If you do that, I'll think you'll find that most alleged "differences" in sound between players using musical programming disappear. Incidentally, it IS possible to hear minute differences in DACs with test signals and test discs, listening at extemely high levels with headphones. Once you play music, any differences disappear (except occasional frequency-response errors in analog stages. . .).

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#3829 07/04/02 07:14 PM
buff
buff
I ran a test of this about six months ago. I had an optical cable connected to the DVD input on the receiver and an analog pair connected to the CD input. I played a Dream Theater song, I foget the title at the moment, and switch back an forth between the DVD and CD inputs using the remote. I must've done the switch 50 times. I could hear absolutely no differece in highs and mids but I thought I could hear and feel a difference in the low bass notes. I pulled out the sound meter and was suprised to consistently get lower bass volume levels, about 1.5 dB, with the analog cables than with the optical cable.

I spent about two hours testing this with other similar sounding CD's and got the same result every time. The drop in mid to low bass response was about 1-1.5 dB. I have a feeling that it probably was a difference in the DAC's. As far as a difference between DVD player and dedicated CD player sound, I haven't tried that but I honestly cannot see how it could or would be different when using the same outputs/inputs. A bit is a bit is a bit. I'm not going to go out and buy a CD player but I will be using the optical output for playing CD's.

#3830 07/04/02 09:56 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
And what Alan described is exactly what i did the past 2 weeks. I set up the dvd or cd players via analog or optical connections and ran 2 identical music test discs in tandem and switched between the vid1 and vid2 on my receiver that the players were hooked into.
The differences were very hard to notice but in playing back a 4 second clip of audio on each player quickly and listening to both, it was possible to pick out a difference. Two of the players were identical and i could not differentiate between them at all but i had no problems discerning the newer models from my old Technics player.
Incidentally, i found a huge difference between the optical and analog connections in that the optical channels when selected, played the music several dB louder than when using the analog channels. This is not saying the quality was necessarily different but for some reason the sensitivity i guess you could say, was different.
Since that point in time we've discussed how the optical connections circumvent the DAC onboard the player and instead the DAC onboard the receiver is the primarily digital to anaolog decompiler. Hence my perceived difference is most likely due to the fact i was either listening to the player or i was listening to my receivers' version of the encoding/decoding process.
I do believe you can hear differences between DACs however they are still VERY minute as Alan states. In the end, it was the features of the dvd player that won me out more than the sound quality.
My general impression is that most of today's typical consumer DACs are all pretty high quality (24bit/192khz) and very close in quality (ie. all 24bit/94-192khz) but this topic was originated to get some other people's thoughts on using their dvd players for music rather than 'dedicated' cd players. Some diehards believe that this axiom (pardon the pun) holds true and i wanted to test it for myself. So i did.

Geez, you would think i do enough research at work. Why the heck do i keep bringing it home?

ARgghhh.

Last edited by chesseroo; 07/04/02 10:02 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#3831 07/09/02 04:26 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
I do all my music listening on a Heart CD6000 (a Marantz CD6000 with a tube output stage). In my system, its timbre is spot on and there's a sense of life to the midrange and a smoothness to the treble that nicely fleshes out the sound in comparison to the Pioneer DV333 that I use for movie watching. Of course, since it costs a little over three times as much as the Pioneer, it better damn well sound better...

And I have to agree that most differences in sound quality between CD/DVD players can attributed to the analog output section. After all, the CD6000 uses 16-bit/8x oversampling DACs...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters