Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I am looking for some archery guidance.
#382190 08/27/12 04:20 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
My 13 year old daughter is really interested in archery, but I don’t know squat about it.

We’ve found some shops in town and some places to shoot, but the advice on what she should get for a bow seems to be catered towards whatever make/model of bows the different places sell.
I know that there are a lot of variables out there, but she is looking for a compound bow for just target shooting (no hunting), and non in camo color, although she thought that the pink camo was OK.

She is a tall 13 year old (at somewhere around 5’ 7” if I had to guess, but not super strong at all, so the pull weight would be somewhat low, but she might need some draw length. How does someone determine what is good?

Looking for something that is better than “toy” class, but not really expensive. I was hoping to be in the $100 - $200 range, but it seems that there is a jump from the sub-$100 little kid stuff, to about $300 for the next step up.

For something that she may or may not stick with, I want to keep the investment low, but not be complete junk either.

Any assistance would be great.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Re: I am looking for some archery guidance.
nickbuol #382204 08/27/12 07:10 PM
M
aficionado
aficionado
M
Nick, this bow might be just the ticket, assuming she is righthanded. Not too pricey, low poundage, no let off, so it is like a recurve, in that there is no need to have a set draw length. Almost anyone can pick it up and shoot it. Plus,for a few extra greenbacks, you can get it in pink! wink

Hope this helps.

http://www.amazon.com/Genesis-Bow-Right-...ews+genesis+bow

M80's(2), VP150, QS8's(2), M3's(4)
nickbuol #382205 08/27/12 07:22 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
That is one of them that she was wondering about too, but wasn't sure about the no let off. Of course, this isn't for hunting, so it isn't like she needs to have it drawn for extended periods of time.

Then, of course, she likes the pink/white one which costs more.

Then, if you add a site and such, the price keeps going up.

We were also looking at the Diamond Archery Atomic Bow (pink of course) but it is $200

Just don't know where to target our research.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #382207 08/27/12 07:28 PM
M
aficionado
aficionado
M
That looks like a good deal to me. I see it is on back order right now.

Yep, nothing comes cheap, that is for sure. Sights, quiver, arrows, release, etc.

Do any of your shops near by have either of the two bows, so she could try them without having to commit to buying one first?

M80's(2), VP150, QS8's(2), M3's(4)
nickbuol #382209 08/27/12 07:46 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Both are out of stock everywhere local. Might be a reason for it if they are decent entry level models.

I made another call today and found out that just over a week ago, there was some regional shoot going on and most of the places got "cleaned out" of bows in the sub-$300 price range.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #382213 08/27/12 08:52 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
So I asked someone at work too, and when I mentioned the genesis bow, it was like a lightbulb went on. He hunts, but knows people with some kids that are state champs and depending on what competition they are at, they are required to use the "Original Genesis" models since they are very standard and level the field from an equipment point of view. Maybe that IS a good way to start. It is funny that even the MSRP of the pink one is higher than the other colors. I might have to try to convince her to get a red or blue one for resale value as well as the lower price.

Still need to research some more, but it is nice hearing from 2 people that the Genesis may be the ticket.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #382231 08/28/12 03:12 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Shouldn't have let her watch The Hunger Games movie.

nickbuol #382232 08/28/12 03:56 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
No kidding... She was interested in archery after reading the first book, then she saw the movie in theaters, and has been hooked. Now with it out on blu-ray, it is even more reinforced as something that she wants to try. She also got to shoot a Genesis bow at the Iowa State Fair this year, so it all keeps coming up.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #382256 08/28/12 01:28 PM
S
veteran
veteran
S
Nick,

I have been into archery for over 30 years. Started shooting competitively at age 13. I was State Champion in Indiana at age fifteen.

Most compounds are adjustable in draw weight and draw length to adjust to different size people. If she is serious about shooting, you are better off to put a little more money into a good compound bow. You can have it set up to fit her. Have her draw length measured and you can dial the poundage down until she gets stronger. Determine if she wants to shoot with fingers or release and go from there. She will be able to use the bow for a longer period of time and will not outgrow it. The breakover point on a compound helps a weaker person hold the bow drawn for a longer period of time to steady the shot.

PSE, Martin, Bear all make good bows. You can spend about as much as you want. I started with a Jennings as a young kid and used the bow for years. Sold it to my brother in law and have had a PSE for years now. I shot indoor competitively as a kid and hunted as I got older. Now I just shoot for fun. Have always loved the sport and yes, The Hunger Games, have made the sport explode.

Hope this helps some.

merchman #382257 08/28/12 01:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
+1 on the Genesis.

My (11 years old at the time) kid started with a $20 el-cheapo recurve set from the local sporting goods store and got really good really fast and outgrew the small recurve quickly. SO we went shopping both tot he local archery store and on line. The local store had a range and he tried many different bows, the Genesis not being one of them. All the bows we looked at were in the 300+ range and I was thinking thats a lot of money... So we found the Genesis and it had good reviews so we took a chance. And a good one it was. It took him a little while to get used to the compound aspect of it, but after a month he was staying within a 12" circle from across our acre yard - a good 170 feet!!

Scott

My HT
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082