Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Indiana Jones or Batman in IMAX next week?
spiffnme #382706 09/11/12 04:02 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: spiffnme
...not really. That multi-screen presentation idea was a flop, and the founders gave up on it in order to pursue the giant screen format.

Bah, heretic! I've got a couple of real Imax's an hour's drive away that I will go to in the future. Around here, we don't really have any good theaters any more.

How close to functioning are those laser projection systems? Sounds cool in principal.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
nickbuol #382707 09/11/12 04:30 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I no longer have the inside scoop on everything there, but from what I've heard - 2013.

Done right = 6K (or better yet, 8K), 4:3 aspect ratio chip. I know there were talks (they may have never gone any further than that) of doing an anamorphic lens, so that they could pack a squeezed 6K (or 8K) image onto the entire 4:3 chip and unsqueeze it optically.

If it's 4K they're done before they even start.

nickbuol #382712 09/11/12 05:05 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
Good info on IMAX theaters here. I had no idea they had done that to their brand. I would have liked to have seen The Dark Knight Rises in IMAX in Spokane, but the person I was with didn't want to watch it.

nickbuol #382714 09/11/12 05:41 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
So..... Well, I went to The Dark Knight Rises anyway. Just got back to the hotel (1:30am). The screen, as expected, was huge. But it was really noticeable during previews of what might be in store. The sound was horribly harsh, with no bass, and while I like thins loud, this was too much. The image during the preview stuff was clearly lower quality (at least for the size) digital. They showed The Hobbit trailer and when Bilbo pulls the sword, Sting, out, it is blocky along the edges.

So, I am tired, but I will tell part of the story. The previews are done and the main movie is about to start... Up comes the Paramount logo... Wait.. Since when is Batsman a Paramount flick? Then the logo goes to real life imagery and is real grainy... Who is that? Yup, Indiana Jones. REALLY?!? I swear that the other 8 people in the theater were dumbfounded and must have been thinking it was a long preview or something. I knew better and talked to the idiots working there who were telling me (including the manager) that they weren't running The Dark Knight in IMAX. Well, mky ticket says that they are, their web site says they are, Fandango says that they are, and the marquee in the place says that they are. So I go back in and just as Indiana is about to run from.the giant stone ball, they cut it... Then we get the joy of watching a whole set of previews again. Some duplicated of course.

The sound was much better for the movie including some much enjoyed bass, and the picture actually wasn't bad. It was plenty bright and no noticeable blocks or pixels. Still could tell it wasn't "real IMAX film", but it is far from bad. So I guess for $18.50 instead of $12.00, I got a shot of Indiana Jones to convince me NOT to see it in IMAX due to the graininess of the film, and I got to experience a killer sound system and really large visual experience. Now if I could just fall asleep....

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #382716 09/11/12 06:34 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:
and I got to experience a killer sound system and really large visual experience.

You had me confused by the start of your post until I realized it was about the previews. I was really impressed by the sound system in the LieMax. It was far superior to anything I had heard in a normal theater. Par of that would, of course, be a nod to the sound engineers for Batman. They did it right.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters