Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: DVD-A / SACD player
#38270 03/26/04 01:44 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Kos, the problem isn't technological, it's legal. Regular 75 ohm coaxial cable has no problem with the slightly higher bit data transfer rates involved in DVD-A and SACD as compared to CD. The problem is copyrights and efforts to provide copy protection for them. The fear, whether paranoid or realistic, is that if the DVD-A or SACD digital data could be fed into recorders using standard connections, there would be almost unlimited piracy. Therefore the data comes out through only analog outputs, except where special connections and special equipment(not including recorders)are used.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#38271 03/26/04 03:22 AM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

Is the Denon one yet another relabeling of Firewire? I know that Firewire is also under consideration for this purpose.

Ken, I believe you're correct (at least if you're not, there's an uncanny resemblance between firewire and Denon Link that someone needs to explain. There's some more info here: 1394 Trade Association. Also some interesting articles comparing Firewire to DVI here.

"Chickens don't clap."
#38272 03/26/04 05:59 AM
axiomite
axiomite
spiff,
I have set my speakers to large in the dvda-p that i own. With my sub crossover already setup for use at 50Hz with my mains, this works perfect.
Hence, as much as some like to push the "80Hz and speakers to small" guideline on some ppl, it creates this bass management issue with the dvda or sacd players. This problem of bass management is non-existent for my setup since i do not use the 80Hz point in the Onkyo.

Incidentally, i also had to tinker with the dvda-p settings until the right combination came to be such that all channels were firing. The manual was useless in this regard.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#38273 03/26/04 07:39 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I listened to a bit more tonight...more of the Billy Joel disk and the first few tracks of Peter Gabriel's "Up" cd. Good stuff.

I had a bit of a scare watching a dvd tonight though. Part of the way through 'The Wedding Singer' the disc started to freeze up. I took the disc out and cleaned it and it played fine the rest of the way through, but it wasn't very dirty at all. I had never had that problem with my 656a. Let's hope that's not a bad omen.

#38274 03/26/04 02:50 PM
veteran
veteran
Not to freak you out too much, but there have been lots of threads going around about playback problems with the 563. I hadn't really experienced playback problems with mine, but I returned it pretty quickly for the Denon 2200 anyway. But I think there have been discussions of hopes for a firmware fix from Pioneer. Good luck--the 563 is a nice player for the price.

#38275 03/26/04 04:31 PM
veteran
veteran
Chess, on DVD-A, what happens with the bass for your VP-150 and QS-8s? Are they set to large also, or do you set them (and can you set them) variably at a higher level crossover with your DVD-A players bass mgt? Where do you set the bass mgt -- receiver, player, other?

Birdman

Last edited by austinbirdman; 03/26/04 04:32 PM.

"These go to eleven."
#38276 03/26/04 05:11 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Austinbman,
To answer your first question, yes, i believe i can set all the speakers in my dvda-p to 'large' such that its internal crossover is not used at all. I think the crossover used in my dvda-p is 120Hz but i would have to double check.

I believe it was soncfox who once picked up on a possible drawback of setting up the speakers in this fashion. What happens to the surrounds and centre channel? I believe the question had basically asked, "In using a 50Hz crossover on the subwoofer with the mains set to large, is there a dropout in the frequency response then between the subwoofer and centre and surround channels?"
The answer is yes, of course.
Does this matter?
No, it does not.
There are two reasons why not using an 80Hz receiver cross (or the dvda-p crossover) does not matter.
First, conside the rolloff point of frequency response for most centre channels and surround speakers. Let us take the VP150 and QS8s as an example (and incidentally they are what i own). The VP150 has a rolloff above 80Hz (Axiom specs 85hz) as do the QS8s ( 95Hz). Using an 80Hz crossover from the receiver with these speakers set to small or large, would not change much of anything. Both units are down in dB by the point 80Hz is reached anyway. Setting one's receiver to handle the crossover at 80Hz and allowing the subwoofer to start picking up sound around that range will still result in a 'dropout' with a frequency sweep.

Second, why would anyone want their centre channel and surround speakers to perform bass duties under the 80Hz mark? These speakers were not designed for such a purpose and i highly doubt any sound mixes alot of those bass notes in that range specifically for the centre or surrounds to playback. That is what your subwoofer and main speakers are supposed to handle. If someone ever tries (and i have) using a lower frequency tone with their VP150 or QS8 you will see what i mean.

In playing around with frequency sweeps with all channels driven (or listening to music), there is no audible loss or dropout across the 100Hz and less range with the way my system is setup. INDIVIDUALLY if you listen to each speaker vs. the sub and depending on crossover settings, you may always have a hole in the range if you use any crossover under the speaker's lower frequency limit.
So for those concerned about the dvda-p bass management, if you own towers and you can change the dvda-p speaker settings to large, then that is the way i would recommend to go. Forget about the limited 120Hz or up cross those things have. A subwoofer playing bass up that high to me sounds like someone thumping a 15' drum under water.

Last edited by chesseroo; 03/26/04 05:17 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#38277 03/26/04 08:26 PM
old hand
old hand
I have a Denon 2900 and love it! It's not only incredible for DVD-A and SACD, but redbook CDs sound VERY good. The video is also amazing on my HDTV that's been ISF calibrated.

David

#38278 03/26/04 09:59 PM
veteran
veteran
That's really cool. Bass mgt has been holding me back on getting a cheap DVD-A (panasonic f95) or universal (the pioneer 563a), but I like this solution. Very informative post, and argued with the precise reasoning of a 12th century monastic discussing scholastic philosophy.

Birdman

"These go to eleven."
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082