Rate Thread
Page 49 of 58 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 57 58
Re: Stunning Recordings
Mojo #380354 07/19/12 05:33 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
Purists often irritate me, not only in music but in other things as well.

How they can slam Cameron for being somewhat flashy (personally I don't think he is based on the videos that I've seen) & not playing those pieces exactly the way that the composer intended?

How do they know how the composer would have performed them? The masters have been gone for centuries & there are no recordings of the original works. I give credit to any artist who does their own thing, within reason of course.

Look what Eric Clapton did with Robert Johnson's wonderful blues compositions from the 1930s. Listen to RJ's original acoustic recordings then EC's modern electric adaptations. Although I appreciate RJ's original performances, I know what I prefer to listen to...

TAM

Last edited by exlabdriver; 07/19/12 05:34 PM.
Mojo #380363 07/19/12 06:17 PM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
that brings to mind Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring conducted by the composer himself.
it was the worst i've ever heard.

the best one i heard was played by students at a university's music school in Toronto in the late 70s. it was a year end show. By the time i could get up and applaud, the musicians were leaving...

as the french (in France) say: c'était le délire!

exlabdriver #380378 07/19/12 08:43 PM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
Originally Posted By: exlabdriver
Purists often irritate me, not only in music but in other things as well.

How they can slam Cameron for being somewhat flashy (personally I don't think he is based on the videos that I've seen) & not playing those pieces exactly the way that the composer intended?

How do they know how the composer would have performed them? The masters have been gone for centuries & there are no recordings of the original works. I give credit to any artist who does their own thing, within reason of course.

Look what Eric Clapton did with Robert Johnson's wonderful blues compositions from the 1930s. Listen to RJ's original acoustic recordings then EC's modern electric adaptations. Although I appreciate RJ's original performances, I know what I prefer to listen to...

TAM

not only the composers have long been dead, but since then, the instruments have evolved, as also mentality and tastes.

Mojo #380415 07/20/12 11:43 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Agreed. Music is as subject to style and period as readily as any other art form. A purist who discounts this is showing a lack of musical education, not endorsing their selves as they may think that they are.

It would be wonderful to have opportunity to hear classical pieces or any song exactly as they were composed. We can often enjoy this now, on newer works, since the age of modern recording began. However, I imagine that if everyone insisted that they hold perfectly true to the original, then many of the classics would be lost over time as people would simply lose interest in hearing them.

Style refreshes, inspires discussion and renews interest over the generations. The 'Purists' have their place to help preserve the originals where possible but to insist that this is 'the only way,' shows a shallowness that lowers their staure in my books, rather than raises it.

Just my own uneducated opinion.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Mojo #380545 07/22/12 10:37 PM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
Ooooh Boy! WOW squared ! isn't this Cameron Carpenter's Revolutionary SACD impressive !!!
I just listened to the first 2 pieces, played at movie Reference Level (which is the "realistic" level for this recording).

The recording quality is excellent, crystal clear, with natural acoustics from the church - it images very well, as if you were really in the church; it is well balanced and enveloping, with low tones seemingly coming from ground level, and highs up there, in the gallery, at different places.
it is all so impressive and so full of beauty and grandeur.
It is a very moving recording.

if you listen to it, and you have a good audio system, please try it at movie Reference Level. It's quite a treat you won't soon forget; it will show to their full advantage the quality of Axiom speakers.

Last edited by J. B.; 07/22/12 11:04 PM.
Mojo #380602 07/24/12 01:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
John, hide your eyes for a minute. wink

Last night a friend brought over a BR of Metallica's "Français Pour Une Nuit". It is their concert held in The Arena of Nimes in France.

The superb production quality in both sound and the video is definitely as good as it gets for an outdoor venue. Any venue actually! The performers display what 31 years of playing together gets you... effortlessly demonstrating why they always gain universal respect for their musicianship, even from non-metal critics.

I was so impressed, I immediately went online to buy it but it is out of print and now going from used sellers for hundreds of dollars. However, if you are looking for demo material to impress your metalhead friends, this BR is THE ONE.
No reference to "The One" intended but it is a good segway for a clip. Although Youtube can hardly compare to the BR quality.

OK, you can open them again, John.
Actually, from a musical standpoint, Metallica has some very interesting and often complex music (when they were not in their thrash phase.) Some of these songs have been covered by orchestra and other classical artists, like these rather famous, classical 'retires' that I'll submit as you may be interested in listening to it as an "experiment." Nothing Else Matters

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #380616 07/24/12 07:17 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I am looking forward to the Metallica show in Vancouver, August 24th. They are evidently filming (3D movie) both nights. They are bringing back the monster stage which fills the floor of the arena. Should be a sonic and visual feast!

Mojo #381265 08/09/12 02:22 PM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
a group i've been listening to for a while now and find that they're extraordinary is Madredeus:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madredeus

try this one (O Paraiso) on YouTube to get an idea if you never heard them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPnAXCrQY2o&feature=related

if anyone wants to listen to their "best", you should get their album titled "Antologia".
for best sound, it should be played with Dolby PLIIx Music at around room filling volume. you'll bathe in voluptuous sound when you've found the right vol. level.

the recording engineer has done an excellent job on this.

Last edited by J. B.; 08/09/12 02:23 PM.
Mojo #381911 08/21/12 10:56 AM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
anyone likes Brass bands?

this group here is the tops, have a listen to Boban Markovic Orkestar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4iin8-IPVk

playing them on your system at home is quite an event.

for more info about the man and the group:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boban_Markovic

Last edited by J. B.; 08/21/12 10:57 AM.
Mojo #382827 09/14/12 01:38 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
My two favorite Dvorak Symphonies, the 7th and 8th, full of wonderful Slavic melodies, are performed here by the superlative Cleveland Orchestra in great sound. Available from Amazon sellers from about $8.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 49 of 58 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 57 58

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082