Page 1 of 2 1 2
Smart Phone input?
#383887 10/09/12 09:21 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
My employer mandates that that anyone in a leadership roll carry a cell phone with email capability. I have over the past few years refused to carry two phones, so I've just carried the phone they give me, which is a Blackberry. As it is tied into the company's network, all the "smart" features are under lock down. Our IT department is quite restrictive. Heck, we still run IE 5 and Windows XP. Fighting this is pointless.

Well after a recent business trip with some other employees who are not at my level in the organization who have personal smart phones, I want one..... I was constantly asking someone else to use their phones to get us "un lost" or search for a restaurant or a golf course, and other things. All of these things I could not do with my "dumb" phone. It was quite irritating to say the least.

I was told by some of the others (who thought my predicament was quite comical) that I can get an App that would work with an IPhone that would access the company email system, and I could just have my company provided cell phone number forwarded to the I phone. - I refuse to carry two phones.

I figured I'd just get one of the IPhones, but the service provider I'd rather go with (better coverage) does not sell IPhones. All they have is a Samsung Galaxy Sii. The local competitor has the new IPhone 5, but like I mention, their coverage is not as good. (I need nation wide coverage).

Another option I suppose is to just buy a phone out right and get a plan, but damn these phones are expensive...

Reviews on the net are all over the place. Seams like there is bias in the reviews, just like speakers. I'd appreciate some unbiased thoughts / opinions on phones. Figured you guys and gals would be a great place to start. I really do not know much about these phones. Battery life is pretty important though, as I have to charge my BB every night.

Re: Smart Phone input?
michael_d #383889 10/09/12 09:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
We're still using XP, and if we don't have a cell phone, we have to carry a beeper.

CatBrat #383891 10/09/12 10:51 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
We're still using XP, and if we don't have a cell phone, we have to carry a beeper.

I was expecting you to say your company is so cheap they're still on Windows 98. grin

IMO, unless you need the cool factor, I would go with a phone one generation back. There is no need to get locked into an expensive contract just to have the latest. There are Android mail apps out there for integrating with various corporate email solutions.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
michael_d #383892 10/09/12 10:54 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Mike, you crack me up.

You have stumbled onto an increasingly relevant conundrum - BYOD - Bring Your Own Device.

I think you have to know "more" about how your organization deals with email on the server side. I'm not the uber geek around here, but it sounds like your employer's reticence to evolve might mean that you're just screwed. Do they allow other devices on their network? i.e. are they issuing ANYTHING except Blackberries to anyone?

The Samsung devices seem to be well received. I have a Motorola Droid Razr. It is VERY capable. It rarely pisses me off. You'd probably hate it. wink

Seriously, I'm surprised that you're still on Blackberry. I think they are dead within the year.

I really do wish I could help. Really. I know how frustrating this stuff is.

Good luck. Going to my room, now.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
michael_d #383899 10/10/12 12:19 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Michael,

This is a pretty good question. I would say that the Iphone is definitely one of the better built phones from a materials point of view. However, there are some good android phones as well.

This is a recent video comparing the Iphone 5 and the Galaxy Siii...
(real world drop test)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M5q5TRuAsY

One other benefit to the Iphone, is the closed echo system.. So, you are MUCH MUCH less likely to download a malicious application.

However, ios 6's map application is freaking horrible!! horrible, terrible.... The GPS works ok, if you have the address, but finding a location of interest... POINTLESS.... ok, so you know how i feel on that one... I downloaded the mapquest app and try not to use the apple map application.. Hopefully they will fix it pretty damn quick.

The Galaxy Siii is probably one of the best android phones. However, as you will see in the video, the build quality is not as good as the Iphone 5... I do not know if you care about build quality or not, but from reading your posts through out the years, i would suspect that this would be a semi important variable to you.

I would also like say, i have been following the Iphone since before it was released, back when it was just a rumor... Samsung isn't playing around though, their phones have as good of, as well as more options than the iphone.

You may want to wait until the next Nokia comes out, it will be a windows backed phone.. Nokia have "been around forever", and i think they are due for a winning product, my pervious phone prior to owning an iphone was a Nokia..

Last edited by dakkon; 10/10/12 12:20 AM.
michael_d #383900 10/10/12 12:23 AM
devotee
devotee
Mike, your timing is good. About three weeks back the Mrs. and I finally broke down and got smart phones with data plans for the first time. Loving them. The convenience is fantastic.

We got last generation Samsungs very inexpensively. She got the Note. It's big, but she wanted it, mostly for her not so great vision. It's a fantastic phone.

I got the Galaxy S2 HD. Again, larger than most phones, but it's got a great screen. Both run Android Ice Cream Sandwich. Got to love those OS names.

Heck, even having those hi-res camera components is going to be very convenient in the same package. A quick aside: I couldn't believe how easy it was to take great panorama style pics with these things. Gorgeous and practical.

Battery life has been OK, but we've been using WiFi at home on them and that eats power pretty good. YMMV. Nightly charging is probably just a good habit in this day and age for such things anyway.

I've been using iOS apps on my iPod for a long time and considered going iPhone instead, but it sounds like you're already fairly familiar with the Samsung comments. They're great products. Highly recommended, based on our admittedly short run so far.

I even just today added a 32GB micro SD card to hers for all of $30. Try doing that with an iPhone. grin

BTW, we have LTE cell service and it really is amazingly fast. This was my first exposure to it and I was shocked.

Best of luck with your decision.

michael_d #383904 10/10/12 01:02 AM
devotee
devotee
I'll throw some of my thoughts into the mix for you. I'm a recent convert to smart phones, and like you I resisted the force until about a year ago. I was more than happy with my work-issue Motorola flip phone. It made phone calls and was indestructible.

I finally succumbed and got the first gen Samsung Galaxy and was immediately smitten! The biggest factor vs. an iPhone was the freedom from the will of Apple. My wife had an iPhone and it was a constant battle with iTunes keeping the phone synced, downloading apps and music and updating. I'm a bit of a computer geek, and iTunes just absolutely drove me insane.

Granted, Android-based phones require a bit more hands on tech savvy than Apple phones. If you want something simple, elegant and intuitive, iPhones have that market cornered. If you want to be in control of your phone, Android is the way to go. We recently upgraded my wife's iPhone to the Samsung Galaxy S2. It took her a couple of weeks to adapt, but she'd never go back now. The S2 is a great phone. With the S3 out now, we got the S2 from AT&T for $30.

Compared to my old Motorola tank (and your Blackberry), these phones feel a little "dainty". While they can tolerate some abuse, I'd strongly recommend a hard shell case. Otter Box is top of the line and well worth the money, but there are other brands that do the job also.

Ditch the BB and come into the light!

I started out with nothing & I've still got most of it left
M60 VP160 QS8 EP350
M22 VP100
Algonquins
Joe_in_SC #383907 10/10/12 02:25 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Originally Posted By: Joe_in_SC
...the freedom from the will of Apple.
Otter Box is top of the line and well worth the money

Good post, Joe. I just wanted to underscore those two items. I have an iPad (which is GREAT) and an Android phone (also GREAT). I'm not really sure I would want an iPhone.

And, yeah, Otter Box, ftw.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
michael_d #383909 10/10/12 02:31 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
As expected, excellent input! Well, all but Thomas anyway....:)

So in a nutshell, you basically have two systems these phones run on, Apple and Android, right?? Kinda like the Mac or PC conundrum I suppose.

I HATE ITunes. Absolutely hate it. If it were not for my IPod that resides in my truck at all times, I would not have ITunes. Genius my ass... It should be named imbecile.

Yes Dak, build quality is important to me. I do not buy junk. I'd rather spend extra for quality ONCE, verse junk several times. It pays in the end I've found.

And no, to whoever asked, my employer will not, under any circumstances, allow any device to access its network that has not been issued by the IT department. They like to make us feel like felons.

michael_d #383910 10/10/12 02:37 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I'll second the Otter Box recommendation. Well worth it.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020