Page 1 of 2 1 2
In-wall/On-wall discontinued?
#384685 10/25/12 02:28 PM
S
regular
OP Offline
regular
S
Does anyone have any information on why the in-wall/on-wall speakers are being discontinued? I was really close to pulling the trigger on a pair of m22s and a vp100. The sale price is a nice surprise, but now I am worried that they are being discontinued.

Re: In-wall/On-wall discontinued?
Stsalomon90 #384687 10/25/12 02:43 PM
devotee
devotee
if i had to guess, i'd say that since the line of on-wall and the other line of in wall are staying there was or is no real need for the combination on-wall/in-wall speakers.

i suspect that the two seperate lines were selling better than the combination line was.

that's what i think.

SonySXRD55"
Marantz AV7702MKII pre-amp
Emotiva XPA-5,UPA-2amps,
14 Speakers, All Axiom
Oppo 105D&93
Stsalomon90 #384688 10/25/12 02:45 PM
devotee
devotee
Originally Posted By: Stsalomon90
Does anyone have any information on why the in-wall/on-wall speakers are being discontinued? I was really close to pulling the trigger on a pair of m22s and a vp100. The sale price is a nice surprise, but now I am worried that they are being discontinued.

Sorry about my manners, blush Welcome to the Axiom Forum!

SonySXRD55"
Emotiva XPA-5,UPA-2amps,
14 Speakers, All Axiom
Oppo 105D&93
Stsalomon90 #384689 10/25/12 02:48 PM
devotee
devotee

as long as you know what your need is, you can still get what you want in the M22 either an on-wall or an in-wall...just not in a combo.

best of luck, keep us posted whatever you choose to do.

SonySXRD55"
Emotiva XPA-5,UPA-2amps,
14 Speakers, All Axiom
Oppo 105D&93
Stsalomon90 #384693 10/25/12 04:52 PM
axiomite
axiomite

Worried about what exactly?
Axiom will back the products for quality and parts for some time.
Take the deal and smile!

In re: to discontinuation, i suspect they weren't selling as well compared to their other offerings for in walls or on walls such that the hybrid specific unit wasn't required.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #384699 10/25/12 05:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The explanation was in the latest Axiom newsletter. I have copy and pasted from my email below:

Clearance on End-of-Line Products!

After nearly a 10-year run, it's time to phase out the in-wall / on-wall hybrid speaker. The in-wall / on-wall was our first entry into the Architectural speaker family and they got rave reviews (read excerpt below) but our more recent separate in-wall and on-wall versions have made the original hybrid somewhat redundant.

"Unlike loudspeakers for which much is promised, but that end up being little more than patchwork designs, Axiom's M22 On-Wall/In-Wall is an extremely well-thought-out speaker that gives you Axiom's trademark sound quality in a package much more convenient and spacing-saving than the norm. . . . dead-simple to install. . . .a unique solution for the audiophile who wants it all, but wants it on -- and in -- the wall." -- Doug Schneider, SoundStage.com

While supplies last, the in-wall / on-wall hybrid line is on sale at a deep discount of 20% off. Perfect for that home theater renovation you're planning this winter! The slim profile fits in beautifully with today's flat-screen displays, and the innovative wall mount makes installation easy. Check out the complete in-wall / on-wall line here.

And to add to what Chesseroo said, nothing to worry about - they use the same parts as the M22's, so replacement parts will be available for a long time. If it's a style that works for you it is a good time to get them and save some $$.

Cheers,
Dan

Dan
On-Wall M5HP LCR, QS8 & EP500 in 7.1
cb919 #384701 10/25/12 05:20 PM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
Stsalomon90 #384704 10/25/12 05:35 PM
S
regular
OP Offline
regular
S
Thanks everyone for the welcome and the responses. I guess I was worried they were being discontinued because they had some problem or were inferior.

From a conversation I had with an Axiom employee it sounds like the inwall/onwall combo provide a bit more low end then the standard on wall speakers. I'm coming from an old crummy $150 5.1 yamaha speaker set so I am not even sure I would hear the difference. The slightly better specs appealed to me, however if it is not something I would be likely to notice my wife would probably rather me not cut holes in the wall.

If the performance is a moot point it it has now turned into a question of whether we want to spend a bit more money to save my wife the anxiety attack she will have when I break out the drywall saw. smile

Stsalomon90 #384706 10/25/12 05:45 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I think it is true that the hybrids have better extension than the onwalls due to the slightly bigger enclosure.

However, the IN-WALL models have even better extension and - once you're cutting holes in the drywall, anyway - just require a slightly bigger hole while also providing a stealthier appearance.

It costs Axiom "something" to keep models with a completely different form-factor in production. I think their decision makes a lot of sense.

I wouldn't worry about quality at all.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Stsalomon90 #384713 10/25/12 07:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm coming from an old crummy $150 5.1 yamaha speaker set so I am not even sure I would hear the difference. The slightly better specs appealed to me, however if it is not something I would be likely to notice my wife would probably rather me not cut holes in the wall.

If the performance is a moot point it it has now turned into a question of whether we want to spend a bit more money to save my wife the anxiety attack she will have when I break out the drywall saw. smile

Buying any quality speaker over those tiny sets will be a huge improvement.
A friend of mine had a Sony 5.1 setup for a few years and was always happy with the bass and general surround performance, until he came to hear our Axiom 5.1 setup (in stereo to start!) and that was it.
He couldn't go back to his Sony.
He ended up going with a Tannoy system, but the point still being that any company making the effort to make a good speaker will surpass the quality of the truly low end junk that infests the marketplace IMO.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020