Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
That band/album/song makes me think of…
#385113 11/05/12 07:48 PM
pmbuko Offline OP
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
You probably have a song/band/album that is so firmly entrenched in your memory that whenever you hear it you are instantly taken back to a specific time or place whenever you hear it. I've got a few.

Ray Lynch - Deep Breakfast
I have a few songs from this album in my library because they always bring up good memories from my childhood. My parents bought this album on cassette and it was one of the few we took with us to Venezuela, where we lived for four months in late 1985. I can still picture the little boom box we took with us, too. (Hey, I found some pictures of it online!)

Yanni (DON'T LAUGH AT ME)
My uncle gave my dad a Yanni mix tape and he played it at home occasionally, but what really made Yanni stick in my memory was that we brought it on a 1991 road trip from Southern California to Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. You can imagine how many times I heard that tape during the drive. The melodic orchestral style really fit the landscape well, though. I do not have any of Yanni's music in my library. Make of that what you will.

Days of the New
Their first studio album, in particular, takes me back to the living room of the house I rented in college, with the dingy off-white couch arranged diagonally across the room from the TV and sound system, all on an equally-but-perhaps-more dingy brown carpet. Ken (kcarlile) and I lived together then, and he had these speakers he'd upgraded with Radio Shack-sourced components attached to some ancient Marantz receiver. We played this album often, and loudly.

EDIT: Last minute addition.

How could I forget Yes - Union
My sister had this tape (which she dubbed off our uncle's CD) in her gray Mazda for many months (along with They Might Be Giant's Flood -- but that album's so ubiquitous it isn't associated with any particular memory). She was a senior when I was a freshman in high school, and she often gave me a ride to school.

So, tell me what's on your instamemory music list.

Re: That band/album/song makes me think of…
pmbuko #385114 11/05/12 08:07 PM
axiomite
axiomite
This 1960's Magnavox portable stereo was my first audio unit. Probably the album I remember the most playing on this was the Beatles, "Magical Mystery Tour".

CatBrat #385121 11/05/12 11:02 PM
axiomite
axiomite
WOW! Too many to even accurately remember. BUT, the first thing that popped into my head was the first Crosby, Stills, and Nash album. Takes me instantly back to Vietnam. Still love that album.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
pmbuko #385122 11/05/12 11:31 PM
Jack, do you have a favorite album from the War of 1812?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
pmbuko #385125 11/05/12 11:55 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I'm not sure I have many that I would care to divulge.

We chose the jazz standard Time After Time by Sammy Cahn and Jule Styne to be sung at our wedding by Julie's roommate, who was in the Choir of the West. It was a lovely moment, and I treasure that memory.

I spent a lot of time listening to Led Zeppelin III when I was a freshman in college. My (still close) friends across the hall had speakers that were hopelessly too big for a dorm room. It rains a lot in Washington, and we would sit in the grey afternoon light, smelling the leaves and the rain from outside, and revel in the sounds of Jimmy's fingers on the strings. The music wasn't new, but a deepened exploration of it was new and revelatory to us. Regrettably, I have fewer moments of discovery, now.

20-some years ago, a dear friend (my kids' "Uncle Kevin" despite no blood connection) was in a sometimes-working rock band. In this iteration, he sang and played sax, with some other very talented musician/friends. They reinterpreted and rearranged many songs to suit their style, some of which I quite preferred over the originals. I cannot hear Fool for Your Stockings without thinking that it needs a sax solo. And one more guitar solo.

Anything from the first two Tragically Hip albums takes me back to a bouncy, sweating, frantic show at Seattle's tiny Offramp Cafe. It may be my favorite rock and roll memory.

Frick, I'm old. I mean, not like Jack or anything, but still. Thanks a lot, Peter. You'll pay for this.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Ajax #385129 11/06/12 01:39 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Ajax
WOW! Too many to even accurately remember. BUT, the first thing that popped into my head was the first Crosby, Stills, and Nash album. Takes me instantly back to Vietnam. Still love that album.

Amazing album!! I need to put it on my list to re-acquire. Déjà Vu brings back a lot of memories (also happens to be the first album I owned). It inspired my love of music and convinced me to pick up the guitar. Helpless was the most powerful song to me.

fredk #385131 11/06/12 02:07 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I think Deja Vu (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young) is generally considered to be the better album and I love that one too. But, Crosby, Stills & Nash was the first one I heard and I have a greater affection for it.

Jack

pmbuko #385132 11/06/12 02:58 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Way back in high school, I went on vacation with my best friend and his family to spend a couple weeks on a houseboat on Lake Powell (yes, where they filmed parts of "Planet of the Apes"). It was summer and warm so us kids slept outside on top of the houseboat which offered a supremely awesome view of the night sky and the "billions and billions of stars" that would occasionally wink out due to bats flying overhead and obscuring bits and pieces.

Every morning, as the sun came up, without fail, my best friend's grandfather would wake us up by blasting Zamfir's "The Lonely Shepherd" over the top deck loudspeakers. We moaned and groaned over such uncool music, but inside, secretly, I dug it and thought it was pretty cool. And very apropos music to watch the sun come up over the lake.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
pmbuko #385133 11/06/12 03:38 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
The Cranberries, with their second album, No Need to Argue, were pretty much my musical awakening. Sure, I listened to music before, but not so much for myself, where I would really seek it out. I couldn't get enough.

Cake always makes me think of driving somewhere, since they really can't be topped for singing along to in a vehicle.

My sister listened to a lot of George Michael's Faith at once point, and that was at a point that I was playing a lot of Dragon Warrior for the NES, so I always associate the two.

I didn't listen to The Proclaimers much until I heard their song, "Over and Done With," in Wes Anderson's first movie, Bottle Rocket. It makes me think of going to Crazy Mike's to rent movies, which isn't around anymore, and which I don't do anymore. Video rental stores are on the way to becoming a strange idea. Anyway, I'm sure there are a ton of songs that everyone can think of which are used to great effect in the movies or TV shows they've seen. How about the great use of XTC's "No Language In Our Lungs" in Freaks and Geeks, which is another piece of entertainment that shaped me.

Johnny Horton makes me think of my dad's inability to sing. Great music, so my dad shouldn't be singing along and ruining it. Oh, wow, I guess today is the anniversary of his death.

Sinéad O'Connor makes me think of listening to music on headphones, since she recommends using them to listen to her album, Universal Mother, in its liner notes. I also went to bed listening to I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got quite a few times with my headphones on.

Björk really made me appreciate music videos. She's had such a high quantity of memorable music videos. I remember my nephew, when he was much, much younger, dancing along to her moves in "Big Time Sensuality."

Weezer makes me think of mix tapes. I made mix tapes of a lot of artists, but the cover I made for the one that was all Weezer songs sticks out in my mind, for some reason. What a hassle that technology was compared to how easily music is shared now, but of course I remember it fondly.

Anyway, that's some of mine.

MarkSJohnson #385134 11/06/12 04:12 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Jack, do you have a favorite album from the War of 1812?

Kiss my grits you whippersnapper.

wink

Jack

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452