Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 33 of 95 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 94 95
Re: Maybe I should start a v4.0 build thread somewhere
nickbuol #367794 02/24/12 02:49 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I think you should start off with "Strange Brew". They are after all Canadian speakers and you want them to be happy.

M3 and
M80
nickbuol #367804 02/24/12 04:15 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
"Strange Brew"... LOL. Now THERE is great HT demo material. laugh

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #367813 02/24/12 05:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I used my bro-in-law's drywall drill/bit. I have no idea the brand but it worked fine for me in my current basement project as well as the basement remodel in my old house. That said when we had more people screwing than had drills I didn't mind just using my reg cordless... just have to be a bit more careful to stop screwing when its at the right height/depth.

nickbuol #367815 02/24/12 05:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The dedicated drywall drill guns seem to work good. Maybe they have to build them better since you can't change the bit and your paying for the whole powertool.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
nickbuol #367868 02/25/12 12:57 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Well, I passed the inspection with flying colors... Yea!!!

I think that I will do some cleanup down there tonight, take a picture of two of the drywall pile, and maybe a quick video.

Those of you that commented about how the last video's sound changed so much (more dead) when I walked into the theater might be shocked at how "live" the room is now with the drywall up. That is normal and will be improved with carpet, furniture, and acoustical treatments later on. I will try to post some stuff yet tonight.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #367885 02/25/12 03:19 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Alright. Some quick pictures of "stuff"... No, not the rooms, the "stuff"....

First up... Drywall scraps. Yes, those pieces that you wish could be recycled back into a full sheet (or 10) and returned to the drywall supply store. I've got to load these up yet tonight (won't have a vehicle that they fit into until about 10:30 pm. That is going to suck. I need to get these to the landfill and be back home by 8:00 am tomorrow too. Won't that be fun?

I also picked up the requested amount of mud too. Six 5-gallon buckets, and 11 boxes. Oh, and a case of corner-bead (63 piece in a case). None of this was light to move.

I did have an ingenious idea (after I had already carried the buckets and case of cornerbead in). We got snow last night...my kids have a sled that never made it into the attic yet...the basement door is "downhill" from the street where I parked the van. YES. 3 boxes WILL fit on the sled. Hurray!

Still sucked...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #367904 02/25/12 02:08 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
OK. Here is the video from last night...

Drywall Update #3

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #368074 02/27/12 05:19 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That's a lot of mud! I think you're basement is using just a little less than twice as much mud as mine did. Granted I didn't drywall my ceiling.

Here's an experiment for ya... get that spray rubber that seems to be all the rage right now, why I'm not sure. Anyway spray it all over your HT room to see if it removed that echo. laugh

nickbuol #368078 02/27/12 05:36 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
LOL. Spray rubber. "Sounds" crazy.

No, it was expected to sound that way. It will all be good in the end.

So I spent a TON of time yesterday and today marking and setting all of the screws. What an utter PITA, and I am not talking about a type of bread. I also caulked the seems and edges in the theater. I was working on the wall/floor edge, but ran out of the acoustical caulk and I am heading out to New York and Atlanta for work this week (need to be up in 4 hours). So I will have to tackle the rest of that when I get back. Everything got cleaned up from the basement, and all other small pieces are done. I will tell you this. Fishing for the surround speaker wires in the walls (even with the walls marked) was also a PITA... I ended up cutting multiple holes (yes, into my nice DD+GG wall to access them. Anyway, I got them out and filled the holes with a lot of mud. The holes were only 3/4" around, but still. We also picked up the paint today for the basement. That is usually a horrible process trying to pick colors, but we managed somehow to do it in a decent amount of time.

I think that we ended up with something like 14 gallons once factoring in the white for the ceilings, a special white for the bath ceiling (long story), the 2 colors for the home theater, the color for the bath, and the color for the rest of the basement (all 5 gallons of that alone). Plus it will take all of the 10 gallons of primer, and we might still be short a gallon or two there.

With all of that paint, I need to decide how to apply it. I like the idea of spraying it, but I have never sprayed a ceiling before. Heck, I've never sprayed an interior before. I used a commercial grade sprayer to spray the outside of a house, and it worked really well. All of the time is in the prep work of masking. The primer will go on everything, so that seems like a no-brainer. The bathroom would probably just get rolled for paint just because it is relatively small and I don't want to have to clean those 2 unique colors out of the sprayer for such a small space. Maybe spray the primer, then spray the white ceilings everywhere but the theater and bath. Then spray the 5 gallons of common wall color, and then figure out what to do in the theater. Probably spray it too since there is a good amount there.

Hopefully we aren't off too much in our quantity.

I also got the green light to order the seats. We changed things up a few times on the style and color. I thought for sure that we would end up with black, but we aren't.

In case you hadn't noticed, I've kept the colors out of the conversation. You all will have to wait and see.

Oh, and the mudders come tomorrow. I have a couple of days off coming up after this work trip, but I am going to try to tackle replacing the vanity/sink in the kid's bathroom. It needs the update badly, plus it will be nice to have a taller sink and a faucet that doesn't drip. Gotta take advantage of the time off and not being able to work in the basement to get other things off of the project list.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #368146 02/28/12 04:48 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I used my brother in laws professional sprayer in my previous houses basement remodel. You are right, all the work is in the prep as the spraying is very fast. I do like the look of sprayed trim a lot. The downsides are you will use a LOT more paint than rolling. Also rolling helps bind the paint to the wall a bit better. It will resist chipping a bit more. Also spraying the walls will reveal any drywall/mudding imperfections more than rolling since it leaves a smooth finish. I have read contractors sometimes spray the walls then roll them while its still wet. But I've also read how thats a ton of wasted work.

Overall it's nearly a 50/50 decision for me... after spraying our last project I opted to just roll everything this time. I kinda wish I would have spent the time to prep everything to spray our doors and trim this time but I would still just roll the walls.

Page 33 of 95 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 94 95

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters