Re: Christmas Ideas for Vinyl Lovers
aaaaaaaaaaaaa #385858 11/19/12 05:24 PM
A
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A
100% agree.

It's definitely a lifestyle oriented way of enjoying your music. Vinyl for me is a treat that I use when I have time to relax and kick back for a while.

For younger enthusiasts like me I think the vinyl resurgence in popularity over the last few years is definitely due to a backlash against the organic part of music delivery being erroded away. There is something to be said for holding music in your hand, preparing it and then sharing it with friends over drinks and laughs.

Its kinda silly, but I enjoy that feeling of being the custodian of something delicate and fleeting. Especially since lots of used vinyl out there came from estate sales at some point; or at the very least someone's youth. There is reverance in appreciating something that was cared for and loved in someone's past. Geez, what a hippie eh?

aaaaaaaaaaaaa #385860 11/19/12 06:42 PM
veteran
veteran
I have one of these and they work great .

http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/nagaoka_cleaner_e.html

XPA-3
VP-180v3
M80v3
Svs PC-12 Plus
SVS SSS-2
PS-3
Sharp 60" LED
OPPO BDP-93
Anthem MRX500
alan #385862 11/19/12 07:03 PM
Axiom Engineer
devotee
Axiom Engineer
devotee
Originally Posted By: alan
Very true, Mark. Setting aside the time and going through the rituals meant you were going to sit down and enjoy the playback. And I admit I have a certain nostalgia for those times.

I still live in that world! Call it nostalgia or whatever, vinyl playback in my system with a good LP can still trounce my digital front end. But you CAN live in both worlds.
Most of the time, when I just want to play something for background, while cooking, or whatever, I stream from a music server to a Roku player connected to my system. It's fast, convenient, and sounds good. But when I want to listen for pure enjoyment, or to a particular rendition of a classical work, I always reach for an LP. It does help that my vinyl collection is seven times that of my CD collection.

A few items for the list:

A good quality spirit level. This is one of the most important, and many times overlooked, aspects of setting up a turntable. I'm not a fan of the cross-point or circular levels as they are not very accurate.

A good quality record and stylus brush. I'm a fan of the old Decca and Hunt brushes from the UK, but there are a number of excellent carbon bristle brushes on the market. Lyra makes an excellent stylus brush that comes with their cleaner.

The Disc Doctor cleaning system. Simply the best brushes and fluid I have ever used for really deep cleaning an LP.

Finally, if you have the scratch, the biggest improvement you can make to your record collection is a vacuum cleaning machine. They are expensive, starting at around $600, but they make a world of difference! I'm a fan of the smallest, auto rotating Nitty Gritty model (1.5?) which I've used for over 20 years with no issues, other than replacing the cleaning pads from time to time. The VPI 16.5 is also excellent and runs around the same price as the Nitty Gritty.

Enough! I could talk about this all day, but I have work to do! smile

Andrew #385875 11/20/12 01:49 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Andrew

Just document the time as "customer service" well vouch for you. laugh

aaaaaaaaaaaaa #385903 11/20/12 03:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey hellcommute,

Far out, man. Nice thoughts of yours on vinyl and the place it holds in one's life. Although I hardly ever play vinyl, I can't bring myself to get rid of the hundreds of LPs I own. I can pull one out and tell you where I got it, what age I was, etc. There is something organic about the big LP jackets and the graphic impact.

With rare exception, I hold no such affection for any of the many CDs I've acquired (except for the sound quality and freedom from distortion). The graphics are annoyingly tiny.
However, there is one CD I bought in Germany while on a press trip before CDs were released in Canada. It's a gorgeous performance of the Brahms Liebeslieder waltzes by an excellent German male & female chorus with piano accompaniment, still the best version I've found.

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
aaaaaaaaaaaaa #385906 11/20/12 05:12 PM
veteran
veteran
Having grown up collecting and listening to vinyl, I don't miss it at all. I vividly remember all the scratches, warped records, feedback from bass, wow and flutter (having said that in a while), accidental bumps of the tone arm… I had hundreds of albums and got rid of them all except for 1 box of about 50 I still keep in storage for the kids who may be able to sell them for a tidy profit one day.

Sure brings back memories…

Last edited by Boltron; 11/20/12 05:13 PM.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert.
dakkon #385908 11/20/12 05:43 PM
Axiom Engineer
devotee
Axiom Engineer
devotee
Originally Posted By: dakkon
Originally Posted By: Andrew

Just document the time as "customer service" well vouch for you. laugh

Noted!

Boltron #385910 11/20/12 05:50 PM
Axiom Engineer
devotee
Axiom Engineer
devotee
Originally Posted By: Boltron
Having grown up collecting and listening to vinyl, I don't miss it at all. I vividly remember all the scratches, warped records, feedback from bass, wow and flutter (having said that in a while), accidental bumps of the tone arm… I had hundreds of albums and got rid of them all except for 1 box of about 50 I still keep in storage for the kids who may be able to sell them for a tidy profit one day.

Sure brings back memories…

My biggest issue with vinyl, and you rightly point out a number of equally valid examples, is that there is a very high cost threshold that you need to cross to get at the best a good LP can offer. People that hear my system regularly ask how an LP can be so quiet, and "If I buy a turntable will it sound like this?". Unfortunately the answer is no unless you are willing to invest time and serious money into both the playback equipment AND the records and cleaning methods that go with it.

aaaaaaaaaaaaa #385911 11/20/12 06:41 PM
axiomite
axiomite
One funny story about vinyl is in the town I grew up in, there was a woman that ran a record shop, the only record shop in town, other than department stores. We always thought of her as a witch. I remember buying a Beach Boy's album from her. When I tried to play it on my cheap turntable, it was so warped that it kept knocking the needle out of the grooves. I took it back for an exchange. But she was trying to convince me that there was nothing wrong with it, by placing it on her turntable, which was much smaller in diameter and playing it. It played successfully on hers, but still warbled up and down. She almost got mad when I refused to go away without a refund or exchange. This is when I ended up with my first Vanilla Fudge album.

That was my first and last trip to her record shop.

aaaaaaaaaaaaa #385914 11/20/12 07:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Witch eh?
Did she float like tiny pebbles?

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters