Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Front PJ vs. Plasma TV
#386385 12/01/12 03:27 AM
GregM Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I finally got around to watching the final two Harry Potter movies and thought the movies were awfully dark. This is based on viewing from my Epson 8350 front PJ. I have dynamic iris off and after just now calibrating it with DV Essentials, believe contrast and brightness are about as good as this projector is capable of.

So I watched portions of Deathly Hallows Part II on my 1 year old 50" Panasonic Vierra plasma tv and the darker areas showed a lot more detail.

So I have to ask myself are front PJ's ever going to get a contrast black level anywhere near a plasma tv? I know DLP projectors have better contrast and black levels but I can't remember how my old X-1 fared in this regard and have not seen any of the newer DLP units to compare to.

I am very certain my Epson 8350 is setup properly or very near to it and for movies not as dark I really enjoy it. Of course maybe I just need to spend $4,000 on a projector as opposed to the $1,200 this one cost.

As plasma tv's get bigger and bigger is anyone here considering abandoning the projector?

Greg

Re: Front PJ vs. Plasma TV
GregM #386388 12/01/12 03:38 AM
GregM Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I just ran my calibration disc on the Pansonic and what a difference.

I won't buy another front projector until I find one that has black levels and contrast on par with my tv.

Anyone know how much you have to spend to make this happen?

Greg

GregM #386389 12/01/12 03:38 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I am..

I have a 720p projector that i used for years... I am pretty sure that i will be buying a plasma, or LED and most likely never use the projector again.. Unless i have a dedicated room, with complete control of the lighting in said room...

Like you said, flat panel TV's are getting bigger and bigger as well as more affordable... As they approach the 90+" size the advantage (huge picture) of a projector diminishes. I think currently as the 80+" flat panels sell for just over 5k$, there will be more and more people shifting away from projectors, especially when the price drops below 5k$..

dakkon #386396 12/01/12 04:15 AM
GregM Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Well said.

But before I make my final decision I'll have to compare a $5k tv to a 5k projector. That may level the field, especially with a DLP but that remains to be seen.

Greg

Originally Posted By: dakkon
I am..

I have a 720p projector that i used for years... I am pretty sure that i will be buying a plasma, or LED and most likely never use the projector again.. Unless i have a dedicated room, with complete control of the lighting in said room...

Like you said, flat panel TV's are getting bigger and bigger as well as more affordable... As they approach the 90+" size the advantage (huge picture) of a projector diminishes. I think currently as the 80+" flat panels sell for just over 5k$, there will be more and more people shifting away from projectors, especially when the price drops below 5k$..

GregM #386398 12/01/12 05:20 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: GregM

As plasma tv's get bigger and bigger is anyone here considering abandoning the projector?

Greg

Considering the recent release of 90" Sharp LED, the upcoming OLED and the general plethora of 60-75" large screen tvs out there now for prices that are within reach of the common man, we have completely abandoned any idea of getting a front projection set (bulb change cost, heat and noise in the room, additional drop down screen,...).
I just don't see the point anymore unless you want that more 'movie room' effect and/or a much larger thrown screen than 75-90".
Our room is limited to about 75" before i run out of space for the speakers and neck craning so a flat screen large screen just makes more sense now.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
GregM #386399 12/01/12 06:38 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm not an expert on projection but from what I've seen I don't see any reason to go that route unless you want 90-100+ sizes. My buddies new projection setup is pretty sweet but the picture on my Panasonic Plasma is better.

chesseroo #386407 12/01/12 02:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: chesseroo
the upcoming OLED

This is exactly what i am waiting for...

An OLED will be the perfect display, from what i have seen and read... however, i am waiting to see what the actual street price is.

GregM #386416 12/01/12 04:06 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Sorry, but with regards to video quality, you do get what you pay for. Best advise I can give you is to find someone with a HT that utilizes a mid-high end projector set up, light controlled room and properly calibrated. Only you can determine what looks good to you, much like audio.

The picture my Sony VPL 95 throws up on a 96" wide 2.35 screen is better than my 55" panny plasma, by far. But, it is in a light controlled room and I calibrate it with a meter and software. There's no way you can compare the calibration you get from a DVD and basic display controls than what you get using software and a meter to get a nice flat grey scale, gamma and gamut. I use a DVDO Edge for the Plasma and a Lumagen XS for the projector, and I have calibrated both. The XS definitely has an advantage over the Edge as well.

It always baffles me how some folks can justify spending upwards of twenty grand (or more) on audio in a tiny living room, with massive speakers and subs dwarfing a little TV, then go on to whine about spending five grand on the video portion of their A/V system.

michael_d #386417 12/01/12 04:26 PM
GregM Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
What does that Sony PJ run?

I did mention I would need to do a dollars for dollars comparison. I know comparing a $1,000 PJ to a $1,000 tv isn't fair. I don't agree on your calibration as I used the same calibration tool for both my tv and pj and think the real issue is needing to spend at least 3k if not 5k to get a better quality image in the 106" range.

I tend to think a person should spent the same amount of money on sound as they do with picture so I basically agree with that argument.

Greg

Originally Posted By: michael_d
Sorry, but with regards to video quality, you do get what you pay for. Best advise I can give you is to find someone with a HT that utilizes a mid-high end projector set up, light controlled room and properly calibrated. Only you can determine what looks good to you, much like audio.

The picture my Sony VPL 95 throws up on a 96" wide 2.35 screen is better than my 55" panny plasma, by far. But, it is in a light controlled room and I calibrate it with a meter and software. There's no way you can compare the calibration you get from a DVD and basic display controls than what you get using software and a meter to get a nice flat grey scale, gamma and gamut. I use a DVDO Edge for the Plasma and a Lumagen XS for the projector, and I have calibrated both. The XS definitely has an advantage over the Edge as well.

It always baffles me how some folks can justify spending upwards of twenty grand (or more) on audio in a tiny living room, with massive speakers and subs dwarfing a little TV, then go on to whine about spending five grand on the video portion of their A/V system.

GregM #386419 12/01/12 04:40 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Hey Greg,

I own the canadian futureshop equivalent (epson 8345)and I too notice it doesn't have the same level of detail in dark scenes as my panny plasma (TH-42PX600U.)

However, my panny plasma was considered flagship PQ at the time (2006) and the epson 8350 is considered a budget projector that is a great performer for the price. I would agree with Michael_d that you have to compare apples to apples and try a midrange projection with a matched screen to get optimal results.

Projectors for the time being are still far and away the best bang for buck once you get over 70" or so. Friends never say wow when watching the plasma. The projector however....

Plus, you can officially say you have a home theater with a PJ. wink

Last edited by Hellcommute; 12/01/12 04:43 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters