Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Is this topic app-propriate?
#386808 12/10/12 12:46 PM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
Hey guys- Google searching is getting me nowhere.

I just replaced my Blackberry with a Droid (V4.1.1) and have what I thought would be a simple question:

My BB had the ability for me to custom-set notifications and rings. As an example, I could mute email and text notifications, but allow phone calls and alarms... all at varying volumes. I found it very helpful when my Dad was ill to be able to receive a phone call in the middle of the night without emails waking me every 20 minutes.

It sounds so basic and obvious, but I'm not seeing that capability built-in to the phone nor any apps to do this. Searches just bring me to ringtone apps to Beiber-ize my phone or EQ apps for music listening....even a stupid sound meter app! wink

I must be missing something...(?)

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Re: Is this topic app-propriate?
MarkSJohnson #386810 12/10/12 01:37 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Hey Mark. I almost didn't answer due to the horrid pun but since it is you, I will.

I don't have one, but I remember digging into a friends to set his. The trick is that you can't do it from the general settings area. You have to do it from the settings within each individual section.

For instance to set a distinct sound for email, you wouldn't go into the phones main settings. You would go into gmail, then look under the email specific settings for gmail for notification settings or something like that. Doing it here will change it only for gmail.

I think we also had to download custom ring tones/tunes and remember what folder they went under as well. Can't recall if we had to use custom ones or if he just wanted new ones.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
MarkSJohnson #386811 12/10/12 03:20 PM
OP Offline
Thanks, Murph, for taking the time to respond. I AM aware that I can, for instance, set a different ring tone for different email accounts, etc. by changing them individually.

What I'm looking for is the ability to set...and save... different "profiles" so I can make quick changes.

For instance, using the example above:

- A "daytime" profile where everything is at a high volume.

- An "Emergency Overnight" profile where the phone would ring in case someone needs me, but emails and texts would remain silent so those wouldn't wake me. And my Alarm wouldn't be silenced so I can get up in the morning!

- A "Client" mode for when I'm with a customer. Maybe this would allow phone calls at a medium volume, appt. reminders at a louder volume, and texts to be silent so I'm not interrupting
my customer time with JP texting me with what he had for lunch.....

Having this capability allows me to globally change many different types of notification volumes with one selection choice.

I think using the terms "Notification Profiles" really gets at what I want to do.

I would think that if this is standard with Blackberries, someone would have incorporated this into Droids or at least developed an app to enable these capabilities.

MarkSJohnson #386812 12/10/12 03:31 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Sorry, I missed the profile piece. Thanks for taking the time to thank me for taking the time to be useless.

In my efforts to redeem myself, a quick search of androidcentral.com came up with this recommendation.

Ring Leader

Never used it but it sounds like what you are looking for.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
MarkSJohnson #386813 12/10/12 03:35 PM
OP Offline
Thanks, Murph! I'll check it out!

Using the word "profiles" in my app search has turned up some choices that I think will work for me. So far, many of them seem like they will also change WiFi mode, screen brightness, GPS mode, etc.... and a whole host of other things I didn't care about. But it DOES seem like they enable you to change notification sounds under that profile.

It all came down to using the word "profile" to both explain what I wanted to do and to provide accurate searches! smile

MarkSJohnson #386814 12/10/12 06:55 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Mark, try Smart Actions.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
MarkSJohnson #386816 12/10/12 08:38 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Leftover Chinese food. Szechuan chicken, to be exact.

Now, get back to work!

In response to:

Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
... so I'm not interrupting my customer time with JP texting me with what he had for lunch.....

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters