Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Just bought my "full on" Hobbit movie ticket
nickbuol #386876 12/13/12 03:19 PM
axiomite
axiomite
If I eat much more Olive Garden, then I'll be a walrus soon enough.

Would that mean that we could have epic battles with big tusks and stuff? Because that'd be awesome.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
nickbuol #386877 12/13/12 03:34 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Epic Rap Battles?

Now I need to decide if I really want to get my geeek on tonight and be one of the first 500 in line (remember, I have a reserved seat, so line waiting isn't needed) to get a shirt that says:
The Hobbit on the front
and
I Heard it in Dolby Atmos on the back...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #386879 12/13/12 03:48 PM
shareholder in the making
Well, I don't care about the Hobbit aspect, but the back of the shirt would make me want to wait in line to get one!

What else are you going to do while traveling in a strange city? smile

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
nickbuol #386880 12/13/12 05:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Shop for Green Lantern shirts, of course.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
nickbuol #386892 12/14/12 01:11 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Got my free shirt tonight. I met up with a cousin of mine that lives in the area and we were eating dinner right across the highway from the theater.

I stopped over at the Cinemark theater(6 hours before the show starts) and got my printed pre-paid ticket to avoid any lines tonight. Since my seat is reserved, I thought I would ask what time I needed to be here tonight to get the shirt. 3 people later, and a General Manager for Cinemark (their HQ being right across the parking lot) looked in a small storage room, and sure enough, boxes and boxes of shirts. He asked what size, and I was out the door with my shirt. Love it.

He said that technically I was already there "in line" and could have a shirt. I wasn't going expecting to get the shirt 6 hours early, but it is nice since I can now show up 15 minutes before the show and not have to worry about the shirt or not having a seat since it is reserved.

When you work in a support environment, you appreciate it when others do something simple and easy just to make a customer happy.

Go in asking when to be there to get a shirt, walk out with the shirt, that is great.

Now I need to crash for a couple of hours so that I compensate for the lack of sleep tonight, LOL.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #386899 12/14/12 09:39 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Back at the hotel at 3:25 am. Movie was great.

The picture color and resolution was great. I believe that the theater I saw it at has 4K projection. The big image was really nice too. The Dolby Atmos was impressive (not as amazing of sound as when I saw Brave this summer at the El Capitan theater in Hollywood which clearly was calibrated and played at reference levels). There were 10 "speakers" on each side, and two "arrays" of 10 more on the ceiling running front to back. Wind and other ambient sounds were really cool, HOWEVER, with THAT many speakers in that many channels, if you weren't smack dab in the middle of the theater, some things are overly loud because you were too close to the side speakers. I would say that it would be "natural" if the action was happening in those surround channels only, but it would be at times of dialog and you wouldn't be able to hear from time to time what was being said. Overall, still really cool though.

BUT...
48 fps sucks! Peter Jackson and James Cameron can keep it. With the next Hobbit and Avatar films come out, I will opt for the 24 fps. It was like watching a movie on a TV with too much of that "smooth motion" crap. Any non-action seen was fine, but as soon as there was a slightly elevated level of motion, and I am not talking just about action or running scenes either, it was WAY too artificial looking and seemed "sped up" although some would argue that *technically* it was slowed down because you were seeing more frames to represent the same amount of time. Whatever, it was stupid!

Oh, and the theater was PACKED. It held just around 500 people and 100% of the seats for this particular experience was sold out. I heard that most of the other showings (regular 3D and 2D without 48 fps or the big screen or Dolby Atmos) were sold out as well.

I saw several hobbits in the crowd and we even had our own Gandalf live and in person with a staff with a glowing stone on the top. Not as many people dressed up as like when Star Wars Ep1, 2, and 3 came out, or even the latter Harry Potter movies, but still some creative costumes.

I scored another shirt, and two Hobbit posters plus one Les Miserables poster, just to realize that there is no real way to get them home on the plan unless I hold them the entire flights or fold them. Bummer. I will find someone who wants them before I go, and if not, I will put them in my suitcase against the "back" of it (bottom of it when you are backing it that becomes the "back" when it is standing upright).

Anyway, if you liked the other movies, give this one a shot for sure. Just remember that if you don't like the look of the "clear motion" or whatever it is called on a TV like me, and watch stuff at "normal" speeds, then do NOT see the movie in 48fps. I am sure that at some point they will get it polished a bit so that it doesn't seem so quirky like characters seeming superimposed over a background even when they aren't, but until then, I am staying away from it.

Oh, and I scored some AWESOME green Real3D glasses that are stamped "The Hobbit" on the side.

Ok, so they are nothing different from the normal black Real3D ones, but whatever. :-)

Now to get a couple of hours of sleep before I need to get up and head to the airport to fly home.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #386901 12/14/12 01:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks for the review Nick. I always enjoy hearing a personal review vs. the paid critics. Critics often try to hard to "relevant," if you know what I mean.

I find your description of the effect of 48 fps interesting. I understand why it may create increased motion sickness but it is hard to grasp that increasing the amount of data sent to our brain in an effort to increase realistic motion, would make things appear faster. After all, we are already processing motion in real time. Then again, how many theories that "make sense" in the world are proven wrong eventually.

Of course, I lack the slightest bit of knowledge into this bit of physiology so I'll believe you. It would be interesting to attend a movie center that had a 48 fps showing and 24 fps in it's smaller theaters. One could walk from one to the other to see if that was indeed the difference.

This is the first time anybody hybridized the Red Epic cemeras by pairing them together for 3D and running at 48 fps, so I suspect you are probably right. The concept of additional frames may be sound but the equipment use needs to be perfected.

It's a 4.5 hour drive including a $40 bridge toll just to get to the nearest theater that can do 48fps for me, so I guess I won't have to worry. I would have been interested to experience it though.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #386903 12/14/12 01:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Murph
It's a 4.5 hour drive including a $40 bridge toll just to get to the nearest theater that can do 48fps for me

That's like, 75 cents and a 6 minute ride in Americuhn, right?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
nickbuol #386904 12/14/12 01:41 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
It is hard to explain, but it seemed faster action, like things were sped to at a goofy speed. Just the brain's interpretation I guess. It was certainly smooth though without the 24fps motion blur, it again, it was really different than anything we are used to seeing.

The implementation of the (30ish) pairs or RED cameras is pretty neat. Peter Jackson has a YouTube channel with a number of behind the scenes "blog" videos that are cool.

Oh, and I saw a gaff in the movie. The cave tunnels are all in removable pieces so that they can take out a piece of the cave and put cameras at whatever angle.they want. Anyway, towards the end of the movie the dwarves are trying to escape from recently being captured and one of them bumps into the cave wall, and it splits open about an inch or so. Enough to be caught on camera. I mainly spotted it because it went from rough rock, to rough rock with a straight vertical cut in it that was that 1-2" wide split when bumped into. It was onscreen probably 1full second is all.

Lastly, yes I am awake. I went to bed at 4:30 and have been up since 6:30 with killer heartburn. I need to just stop getting popcorn in theaters. It does this to me every time. Popcorn in my movie theater style popper at home never does that to me. It is now 7:40 am and I've fill the last 70 minutes with the watching of crazy Russian driver and car crash videos on YouTube. Need to be up in 35 minutes to get ready to head to the airport.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #386930 12/15/12 03:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I know what you mean about the fast Motion thing... I watched an action movie with one of those motion gimmicks on his tv some time ago and it made my head hurt.

-David
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020