Rate Thread
no audio from pc using HDMI
#386969 12/16/12 06:15 PM
D
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
D
Hello, I'm here to ask the audio gods for a bit of help. I just picked up a few HDMI cables w redmere technology from monoprice, to connect my PC to my tv and ruduce cable clutter in my system. Thought it would be simple, but I can't seem to get an audio signal through my Denon 3808. I am using my Acer Aspire's HDMI port and connecting to HDMI 2 port on my Sony Bravia. HDMI 1 goes from Denon monitor to HDMI 1 port on TV. HDMI 3 from Denon TV port to Sony HDMI 3 port. Denon GIU assign TV is set to HDMI 1. Any help getting things straightened out would be greatly appreciated.

Demetrios
Re: no audio from pc using HDMI
demetman #386970 12/16/12 08:13 PM
shareholder in the making
You're going to need to give us a lot more info than that. What model of Aspire? Which OS? Some computers do not have a version of HDMI that outputs audio.

Do you see HDMI as an available audio out in the Sound Control Panel?

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #386971 12/16/12 09:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
Do you see HDMI as an available audio out in the Sound Control Panel?

This. I ended up going optical out.

In order to do HDMI audio, you need to have hardware that supports a protected path specifically for audio. When I set up my computer, such a beast did not exist at all. If you have a relatively new computer the hardware should be there.

Edit: This is assuming you are on a flavour of windows. The Digital HDMI out will be where ken pointed out.

Last edited by fredk; 12/16/12 09:30 PM.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
demetman #386974 12/16/12 10:35 PM
D
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
D
Thanks for the responces, guys. Spent my whole day trying to figure this out. The model of my pc is Acer Aspire X3400. In sounds and settings, I see NVIDIA hi def audio via HDMI. My pc uses windows 7 home premium. My tv is a 40" Sony Bravia xbr5. Denon 3808 reciever and Axiom 7.1 set up. I picked up the monoprice redmere HDMI's to simplify my set up and rid the clutter of bulky RCA's. I just grabbed the Oppo BDP 103 and I'm hoping not to need the comcast cable box anymore. I do have a toslink cable, but I was under the imression, sound would degrate using it. But what do I know.

If it makes a difference, I hooked up my Dell Inspiron 580S and also couldn't get any audio using an HDMI cable. It operates with windows 7 service pack 1. Thanks for any ideas.

Demetrios
demetman #386978 12/17/12 12:18 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Sounds like you have the ability to do audio through HDMI. Now all you need to do is some sleuthing to find the setting that is preventing this.

This is probably a silly question, but is the Nvidia HDMI out selected as the default? Also look at your windows audio settings to see what is in there.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
demetman #386982 12/17/12 04:39 AM
D
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
D
After diging around in my pc sound settings I found NVIDIA HDMI out info. Max number of channels supported:2
HDCP: supported
Bit depth: 16 bit, 24bit.
I don't see an option to change from HDMI audio,which leads me to believe HDMI is default for audio and video. I actually spent the past few days tearing apart my wall to remove the plethra of unused and oversized cables I had burried in the studs bays a few years back. Things are much cleaner and I added an access panel to easily fish wires to and fro my audio components. If I could only figure this sound issue out, I'd be a happy camper.

Demetrios
demetman #386986 12/17/12 08:10 AM
J
J
Which Nvidia did you get with your laptop? Do you have a bluray player in it as well? I suspect that little part about supported channels - 2, might not allow more than the stereo audio out of the computer.

Sound won't degrade using a toslink unless you are referring to not being able to use the high def audio rather than the usual DD or DTS.

I also noticed you have the laptop hooked up to your tv and not to the Denon. Is this just a temporary setup to test for audio out of the laptop via HDMI? Is the TV set to HDMI 2 which is your laptop input. Are the TV speakers turned off? Why do you have HDMI 3 set up the way you do? Is your TV capable of sending a signal out on HDMI 3 which would then go into the Denon? Or are you attempting to use the ARC portion of HDMi 1.4 spec? The Denon is not capable of using this, it is only HDMI 1.3.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
demetman #386998 12/17/12 06:41 PM
D
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
D
Jakewash, I think your suspicion of the NDVIA HDMI 2 channel support is correct and the audio via 5.1 is not possible. I tried every configuration and setting with no success.

The only way I can get video on my tv is by going directly to my tv from the pc via HDMI. Not sure why, but this is the case. Now I have a new can of worms to deal with. Last night I ran a toslink cable from tv to denon in port. Sound and video work great. I was very pleased with the sound quality. When I removed the cable from the Denon to fish it through my wall and tidy up my entertainment are, the "door" on toslink port snapped off and I lost sound to all my toslink inputs. The pin in the port is bent and I think it needs replacement. This is crazy! You know how many cables, wires and such are involved in these receivers. Now I'm super bummed and I don't know what I should do. A local Denon repair shop charges $100 to walk in the door plus parts and labor! For the time being, I ran component audio cables from TV to Denon comp in and the sound is HORRID! Any other ideas?

Demetrios
demetman #387001 12/17/12 08:17 PM
D
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
D
Update! The gods have spoken! I removed all HDMI cables and methodically reconnected them, as well as adjusted denon settings. I ran a Redmere HDMI from pc to Denon HDMI3(TV)input, then from Denon(monitor)out to tv HDMI3 input. I have successfully transmitted audio and video signal via HDMI! Since the redmere HDMI cables are one directional, I think the signal path was not correct. Nevertheless, the sound is incredible and I'm happy, despite the broken optical port. Thanks for all that took the time and interest in responding. Happy holidays!

Demetrios
demetman #387007 12/18/12 07:39 AM
J
J
Originally Posted By: demetman
I think the signal path was not correct.

That was what I thought from your description. You can tell from my ramblings in my last post, something didn't sound right in that wire set up. Glad you figured it out.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16