Print Thread
Rate Thread
Rear speakers
#3868 06/22/02 05:57 PM
Steve_C Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I currently own a pair of M40's and a VP100. I would like to finish my HT but I cannot decide between another pair of M40's or a pair of Qs4's on stands.

My Ht is in my living room, not a separate room. I generally listen to music in two channel but if DVD-A takes off I could see getting into it.

What I like (or think I have learned) about the QS4:

Ease of placement
Envelopment of sound; I like the movie theater experience

What worries me:
Limited freq. response (on small my receiver sends below 90 to my sub).
Do they really timbre match my M40's (Different tweeter's and woofer's)
Any good with music??

What I like about the M40's:

Exact match- full frequency

What worries me:
Difficult placement: Moving furniture; Pulling up carpeting
Directional

Could you give me some insight on the Qs4's especially in regard to match?

Could the M40's be placed on side walls facing each other?

Thanks,

Steve

Re: Rear speakers
#3869 06/22/02 09:38 PM
veteran
veteran
Steve,

Alan has posted several pieces of info regarding the advantages of the quad-polar design for rear channels (i.e. QS4 and QS8) and that Dolby labs actually recommend the "rear" channels be placed more to the sides in the back than the actual rear of the listening area.

Try going to the "main index" and search for some keywords that seem logical to your question and see what you can find.

My personal opinion, based on your post, is that you should go with the QS4s. I don't know you LR layout - but I think you would have the easiest time finding a suitable location for the high dispersion design of the QS4s. The timbre match would be (for the most part) perfect.

As for music - most people (like you - and me) prefer to listen to music in the normal 2 channel mode. If you choose to use a matrix decoding/ambience (Dolby PL, etc.) effect so that sound does come from the rear, it is usually extracted to give you a sense of depth (i.e. artifical room size) in the form of reverb and such - and in this case the overall frequency response of the speaker (i.e. lack of bass) is not as critical as the front channels.

If you don't have a powered sub, I highly recommend you get one to (really) complete your system.

Good Luck,

Randyman

#3870 06/23/02 07:42 PM
buff
buff
Hey Steve,
I have the same set-up you do: M40's and a VP100. I had a pair of M3's as mains, but those are going up as surrounds, as soon as Axiom releases their "FULL METAL BRACKET" (shameless plug). Right now I have my trusty JBL N24's as surrounds.
Unless you're sure you're going to get into DVD-A or SACD you don't NEED full-range speakers. If you do get into multi-channel music though, because of the bass-managment problem in most receivers, then you'll NEED full-range speakers. Putting M40's as surrounds in a typical (DD & dts) 5.1 set-up would be a waste IMHO.
Unless you're really set on the QS4's, assuming you don't get the M40's, I'd suggest getting a pair of M3's. They have the same tweeter and woofer as the M40's so timbre-matching wouldn't be a problem. I have no experience with any QS' but I know the M3's are good MAIN speakers, they should be superb as surrounds.

Big L
#3871 06/23/02 09:11 PM
buff
buff
My .02!
I have the M22/VP150/QS8 set up and in my limited experience with DVD-A, it is quite impressive. The QS series has the ability localize instruments and the such. It is a great little speaker and I would not hesitate to recommend going with the QS8 or even the QS4.
Of course all the speakers share the same drivers!

Last edited by KurtisJ; 06/23/02 09:12 PM.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044