Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The reason I did what I did!
#38773 03/27/04 02:24 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Good evening, folks!

This is my first post. It is also the first time in five years that I'm making an upgrade to a five year old, and very inexpensive, system. I just got off the phone with Joe, from Axiom, and placed an order for some M3's. He was most helpful1!

As I said to Joe' "A lot of companies spend a lot money on ads for their products that are designed to make you feel all warm and fuzzy. But Axiom has done that (for me) by creating these message boards."

I went to a LOT of websites, did a lot of research, read a lot of reviews and shopped around. But, it wasn't until I came upon these forums that I made my decision. I thought, "Gee! It seems like Axioms are owned by a really nice (and smart) bunch of people." And since I consider myself a nice person (even though I am NOT an audiophile)I think I should own some, too!

And THAT'S the reason I did what I did! Thank you all for helping me to make up my mind. I was told my speakers should arrive by next Wednesday. I will let you know what happens next.

Re: The reason I did what I did!
#38774 03/27/04 09:00 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
That's great to hear, pewterman! Nothing like adding another nice person to the fold. Welcome, and be sure to let us know what you think of the M3s. I wouldn't be surprised if they arrive Tuesday.

#38775 03/27/04 09:13 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

"Gee! It seems like Axioms are owned by a really nice (and smart) bunch of people."

Actually, I'm not usually one for forums and message boards but there's definately a caring and sharing attitude here and I hate to stereotype, but I think the average Axiom owner is a little older, more refined and has passed the "dood - turn up the loud" point in their life.

I was worried at first that, yes, everyone here seems to really like their Axioms but, is it actually because it's a great product or are they just justifying their expenditure? So after my order I decided to give them a hard listen and find a reason to hate them, and if I couldn't, I'd get my brother to have a listen (after all, he believes he was born with a golden ear, but I'm sure I've seen some rust developing on it! )

The closest either of us came to a drawback was that he thought they were just a bit bright, and I was sold - as a bassist anything above 100Hz falls into the realm of "wheedly" for him.

Bren R.

#38776 03/27/04 12:45 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Welcome to the forums pewterman. You are correct; this board does have an above average number of nice people. It's a great place to come and be informed and entertained.

Your hobby sounds interesting, I've always liked the "look" but sadly haven't a clue.

Keep us posted on the M3's.

getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/ep350/m60/m2200s
#38777 03/27/04 01:13 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Hey, Bren! I'm not usually one for boards, either. And I was a bit wary of the overwhelming number of positives I saw here. So I went to a couple of other sites in search of more "balanced" opinions and even some negative ones for comparisons sake. I couldn't really find any truly bad reports!!

As for justifying expenditures, it would seem to be a lot easier to do when you're spending in excess of $1,000 for a pair of speakers; you SHOULD be finding quality at that level more easily. But searching at this price point is more of a challenge--and I enjoy a challenge!!

So, hopefully, my leap of faith will be well rewarded. More later.....

#38778 03/27/04 01:21 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Good point pewterman! Good (and lousy) speakers can be found at every price point. But, I think it's trickier to find good speakers at the lower price points than it is at the higher ones. Welcome, and I hope you're pleased with your M3s.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#38779 03/27/04 04:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

I think the average Axiom owner is a little older, more refined and has passed the "dood - turn up the loud" point in their life.

How many younger ppl (lets say 21 and under) do you know even have the money to afford a full set of $3400 Axioms 5.1 system along with $1000 in electronics and cables to go with it?
Most ppl at that age are still trying to afford a car or get through school/college/university. Of all the housemates i had, only two had stereo systems which consisted of $500 Dynaudio? speakers and a $300 Pioneer receiver while the second system had Yamaha speakers and a Yamaha receiver. Those boys thought their systems were just the cat's ass especially at parties.
The "dood turn up the loud" still applied. Critically listening and general music enjoyment was far less important than attempting feebly to impress the set of 5 single women in the townhouse next door by playing loud music and throwing keg parties. Personally i thought flowers and a nice dinner were far more effective.

I believe one of them now has the Paradigm Reference line mains and a newer receiver (still Yamaha) while the other added some Energy surrounds and centre and bought an Outlaw receiver.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#38780 03/27/04 04:49 PM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
Some of us are way older, still like to crank it up, and cannot afford to pay $3400 for a 5.1 setup. That's why we are doing it slowly, one piece at a time.

#38781 03/27/04 07:39 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Chess -- I'm 20, and paying my way through college. But I still appreciate the sound Axiom's provide, paired with my HSU sub. Granted, I own a POS car, but that's the trade-off.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy your speakers, pewterman.

Anyways, congr

#38782 03/27/04 08:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Roffels, there are always some lucky few.

While in residence, my dorm neighbor had a lovely NAD all components setup and some Mission speakers which were at the time selling for about $2k a pair.
He was the only person i had met during my undergraduate tenure that actually had 'hifi' type equipment (not big box store bought items). He also drove a brand new Volkswagon Jetta. Needless to say his parents had some cash.
Had we known about Axiom at that time, i'm sure my roomates would have considered them for their systems given the great prices. Since the internet was still far the from in-house common appliance it is today, i'm not sure how they would have ever even found out about Axiom.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,046 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup