Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
AVR choices for a Technicphobe
#388001 01/09/13 07:02 AM
C
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
C
Hello All: I've visited this forum for a few years now. It has been informative and enlightening and I enjoy reading the postings and learning. But many respondents on this forum have technical and specific demands for equipment well beyond my own.

I've been debating with myself for many months which AVR to buy. I've gone from considering Arcams, B&K's, NADs, Rotels, Cambridge's to Denons, Pioneers and now I am looking at the Marantz 5007. I am not technical and have little interest in the intricacies, bells and whistles associated with setting up and listening to anything near a cinema-house quality theatre in my home. I do not listen to music at reference levels, the M80's sound just fine at the volume I set and I can compensate for the lack of bass at lower listening levels by adjusting my old but decent subwoofer. I would just like to set up a decent 5.1 system. I have enough other speakers for now that will suffice to create the 5.1 system. My first investment in this new venture commenced about two years ago when I bought a pair of M80v3's. I am very happy with them. My next task is to buy a surround receiver, but after reading so much on the subject here and on other forums I've been "gun shy" with all the technical issues that could arise. It is not like the old days which were more "plug 'n play" like my present 1980's vintage Denon stereo receiver which I am using with fine results @ 55 watts per channel.

OK, long story to set the context. I am coming to you my friends, to suggest a surround AVR with about 80-100 watts per channel (driven simultaneously) that is simple in set-up (or at least user friendly). Most of my use for the system will be for music...about 90%. I do wish to have the ability to watch movies and have the benefit of their effects. I suppose I could buy an older receiver that would probably be simpler to set up and sound very well, but I do wish to have some up-to-date decoding software (my present DVD has very little to offer in this respect). I have no gadgets or games of any kind I wish to plug into the receiver. I do expect that the receiver will have options I won't use, that isn't a problem, I expect that. I am willing to pay up to $800. Also I only have a 23" Samsung HD TV for now. I will be buying a new TV as well, probably Plasma...about 55"-60". It may or may not be 3D, price and quality will determine the kind of purchase I will make. I don't think 3D pass-through is necessary unless it just comes with the receiver suggested.

Which surround receiver do you suggest for simplicity of set-up with the power I desire? I am completely open to any suggestions and certainly can change my mind to the parameters I've set for my projected system based on any feedback given. Be kind...I'm a simple man looking for the right fit for me. Thanks to you all.

Last edited by Captain4105; 01/09/13 07:06 AM.
Re: AVR choices for a Technicphobe
Captain4105 #388002 01/09/13 08:33 AM
axiomite
axiomite
That's a tough one. I've used both Pioneer and Denon mid to upper range in price units, and they both are complicated to understand at times. I see your delima. I don't know of any Home Theater in a Box solutions where you supply your own speakers. If there isn't such a thing, perhaps there should be. So hopefully, someone else would know more on this subject than I do.

I had purchased an ultra cheap Sony 100 watt per channel receiver as my first one for $150 online from Newegg.com about 4 years ago to drive my M22's I had then. This was a mistake because the components in this thing were so cheap that effectually, it probably was only about 40 watts and could barely drive the smaller speakers, but it was the least complicated of few I've used.

One other option is perhaps to get someone to set it up for you. Using a Harmony remote. With these remotes, you can set up activities, such as watch TV, play DVD (and blu-ray), Listen to radio. Then when things get out of whack, cycling everything down and back up will usually take care of it. At the extreme, manually turn everything off, unplug if necessary. Remove battery, then reinsert into remote, and you should be good to go again.

Hope this helps, and good luck to you.

Captain4105 #388007 01/09/13 10:39 AM
shareholder in the making
Captain, I understand your frustrations. Between poorly-written manuals, codec changes and a zillion settings, most AVRs have become something that you need to sit down and study. I've been thinking for a long time that if someone adds some simple products to their line until the day comes when these units are intelligent to REALLY auto-setup, they would sell well.

It's a bit above your price range, but I think I have a good solution for you: Outlaw Audio just came out with a simpler processor that can be combined with an outboard amp for a combo price of $1100.

I haven't used, nor heard this combo, but the processor is getting some good press (it just came out, though, so you won't find a ton of reviews yet).

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Captain4105 #388009 01/09/13 11:01 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Looks like basically a receiver with tone controls instead of advanced sound processor.

Captain4105 #388011 01/09/13 01:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Another solution is

Step 1. Find the local techno-geek in your office/workplace/circle of friends/family. They don't tend to hide like they used to so they should be easy to spot.

Step 2. Purchase a receiver that serves your needs and a really good universal remote like a Harmony or a URC. Not a generic universal remote like you might find at Wallmart but spend a little extra for one of the a fore mentioned. Trust me, it's worth it.

Step 3. Apply Tom Sawyer logic to trick them into thinking that setting up your receiver and programming your remote would be fun. Bribe with beer/wine/chocolate/comic books or whatever seems most likely to work, if necessary. It's more than likely they will do it for free because they would think it's fun (until they are halfway through the job, then it's too late.)

The result. You will have a great system that will be so simple that a press of one single button will turn on and auto configure every device and make them ready to go for any task.

You would be surprised how easy it is to accomplish step number 3. In fact, I've fallen for this a few times myself. Indeed a lab mouse learns quicker than I do about such a traps.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Captain4105 #388012 01/09/13 01:37 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Hmmm use a harmony remote.. It seems like I've heard that one before.

Captain4105 #388014 01/09/13 03:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Comic books?! Where?!! Can I see them? Cool, a new receiver! What's that? You can't figure it out? Well, I could help you with that! I love audio equipment almost as much as computer networking and Dr. Who an -- SQUIRREL!!!

Last edited by medic8r; 01/09/13 03:08 PM. Reason: I saw a squirrel!

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
Captain4105 #388017 01/09/13 03:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Emotiva has recently added a new Processor the UMC 200 (on sale ATM ) which was described by a reviewer as very easy and logical to set up. If you don't need network connectivity or airplay it sounds like a good option. Rotel also advertises that their recievers have everything you need and nothing you don't, may be worth looking at.From the reviews I have read on the rotel they are very user friendly though I am not too sure about the pricing.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Captain4105 #388019 01/09/13 03:44 PM
Yes, as one of those people who thinks those things are cool/fun, I enjoy working for free.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
medic8r #388026 01/09/13 05:21 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: medic8r
Comic books?! Where?!! Can I see them? Cool, a new receiver! What's that? You can't figure it out? Well, I could help you with that! I love audio equipment almost as much as computer networking and Dr. Who an -- SQUIRREL!!!

I laughed twice when I read your edit reason.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters