Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Thinking of a dorm-friendly Axiom 5.1 PC setup?
#3887 06/25/02 10:27 PM
Gluegun Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello, I am considering buying a 5.1 setup to connect to my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, for 5.1 DVD's, 4.1 gaming, and 2.1 music. Axiom looks nice cause it's internet-direct, and the M2ti's seem to be a pretty dorm-friendly set of speakers, and the EP175, with it's thinness, looks like it would be nice to set under a desk. So, I browsed the Axiom website, and the EP175, two sets of M2ti's (I would want directional rear speakers for gaming purposes, and the ability to place them more easily), and a VP50 comes to 1028. Now, chances are, I wouldn't really be buying this thing *any* time that is *REMOTELY* soon (I might have to wait a few years until I get into an apartment, and out of a dorm, for example), but this looks like a good starter setup. Now, what about a reciever? I would want something somewhat small, relatively inexpensive, and I would want to get something with very tweakable bass management for the 6-channel analog inputs, to better help speakers that might not go down to 80hz with a whole lot of authority. Also, to what frequency is the port in the M2ti's tuned to? If the speakers have to be placed very near a wall, I would want the crossover to be a bit above the point that the port frequency is tuned to, to make placement a bit easier. Thanks!

BTW, if I do manage to get this soon (which is fairly unlikely), I would probably just get the M2ti's, a reciever, and the sub in the meantime. What is a good reciever that would go with that, and that I could keep for a long time? Someone suggested the HK AVR-520, but that seems a little oversized/overpriced/overfeatured for me. What would give me the bass management and size that I need, inexpensively? Thanks!

"Eep!"
Re: Thinking of a dorm-friendly Axiom 5.1 PC setup?
#3888 06/25/02 10:31 PM
Gluegun Offline OP
OP Offline
Also, in such a setup, I wouldn't be going for a WHOLE LOT of accuracy, but I would want it to be pretty nice. Would there be any problems with placing the EP175 under my desk, at my feet? I was considering the Adire Rava, but that seems to be a lot more difficult to place in such a location (being bigger). What do you all think?

"Eep!"
Re: Thinking of a dorm-friendly Axiom 5.1 PC setup
#3889 06/26/02 02:40 AM
axiomite
axiomite
You've got some good thoughts on what to buy for a small dorm system so i can't add much to your speaker choices. I think they sound pretty good. I wish i had known about axiom back 10 years ago when i had $1500 to spend one term.

As for receivers, cheap is always a hard thing to find when looking at quality receivers but if you absolutely need to keep costs low, then at least get a good brand name. Offhand i don't know tons but i've used/heard extensively onkyo, denon, yamaha and pioneer before. I would recommend any of the first three over the Pioneers though.

good luck, keep buying those lotto tickets

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020