Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Logitech Rant
oldskoolboarder #389031 01/31/13 03:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I think the thing about URC is that it has whatever you program it to do. It has always done "activities", if you set it up to do so. For instance....

If I hit the button on my main screen with the picture of the DVD player, it correctly activates my HDMI switch, BR player, receiver, TV etc and also sets the receiver to accept the audio signal type being sent from the BR player, typically a standard or HD 5.1 format. The 'TV on' part of the macro includes the 'manual double click trick' to ensure the TV is actually turned on, not off, because I still have yet to look up it's discrete code for this. (luckily the trick programmed for my old TV still works with my new model)

Finally, it takes me to a screen where I have programmed buttons for all my other custom tasks that I might do when watching a DVD. These tasks are not device specific to the BR player. For instance, I have a button to bump up the center channel 1.5 db and another to reset it back.

In contrast,
If I press the button showing a CD, it activates all the same gear but locks the sound format to 'stereo with sub,' which is currently my preference for stereo recorded music. It completes with taking me to another set of screens with CD listening specific tasks. For instance, I have a button to return from 'stereo' back to a 'Dolby surround mode,' just in case JohnK is knocking at my door. I don't want to get caught in stereo.....

Whatever you choose to call it, both products have always done 'activities'. It's just how you set them up that differs.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
oldskoolboarder #389035 01/31/13 05:11 PM
shareholder in the making
What about the volume control and directional arrows, which might be used by two different devices during one session? IE, volume controls must control the receiver, but directional buttons must control the DVD player?

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #389039 01/31/13 05:54 PM
devotee
devotee
In the manual for my MX-500 they refer to this as "punch through", which I always found to be a bit odd. Often it's referred to as "volume lock" or "channel lock" so that the respective buttons are locked to one device, such as the receiver for volume controls, and the DVR for channel controls.

I've always liked how I'm in charge of everything in terms of configuration AND custom functionality of the remote, and that once you've learned how, you can make significant modifications quickly and easily.

RF would be nice though. It was way too expensive at the time that I bought the MX-500 for $200.

Ken.C #389040 01/31/13 06:05 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Ken - Murph's answer is right on for your first questions. The Harmony does "activities" by extrapolating commands from the devices you load. With the URC, this function is called a macro and you program the remote (with any simple or complex steps you choose.

As to your second question:
"What about the volume control and directional arrows, which might be used by two different devices during one session? IE, volume controls must control the receiver, but directional buttons must control the DVD player?"

Once you set up your DVD device, the remote has all of the commands & buttons of that model. Additionally, you can program a "punch through" that allows you to control the volume/mute functions of the receiver or TV, depending on how you are hooked up. Then you can add additional commands - my example above of the SUB+ and SUB- controls. You can also add the receiver commands for audio - stereo, Dolby Digital, DTS, Cinema, Music, etc.

If you have a 2 zone or 3 zone receiver, you can set up a device for them as well. Or a Receiver device, a CD device, or APPLTV/iTunes device for each zone.

Said another way, with any device you create (Satellite, DVD, TV, etc.), you can add any other command from any other device (via drag & drop) to any device you have. For example, I have a POWER device where I have the discrete ON and OFF commands for all of my other devices. I use it to build macros. On the main OFF button, I have a macro that cycles through all of my device OFF commands when I am done so that I am sure everything is turned off.

On an MX-900, the LCD screen has 6 entries per page and can go 21 pages deep. You can drag & drop to arrange the commands anywhere you want ( I put the most-used commands on the first & last page - easy to toggle). This is in addition to the standard hard button commands.

As I said, the Harmony stuff is pretty good, but the URC remotes just get to a whole different level.

To be sure, you need to buy the URC remotes from an authorized dealer so you can get the software for programming it. Jack & I have been using (and referring folks to) Mike at surfremotecontrol.com. Great prices, extremely helpful AND authorized dealer.

Ray3 #389042 01/31/13 06:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Yeah I posted the following in Catbrat's thread:

Anyone considering a URC (Universal Remote Control) remote should check the prices at Surf Remote Control. Just give them them a call and ask what the current discount price is for the remote in which you are interested. They are authorized dealers, have great prices, and are super nice folks to deal with.

It may be possible to find a better price, but you should definitely check with them before buying.

P.S. Just be sure that the vendor is an authorized dealer or you won't get the software and warranty.

Obviously, if you choose to go with a URC remote, you will have lots of support from Ray, Murph, and me.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #389043 01/31/13 06:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Ajax
Obviously, if you choose to go with a URC remote, you will have lots of support from Ray, Murph, and me.

Pfffft. Neither of you have made any house calls.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
oldskoolboarder #389046 01/31/13 07:43 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I have two MX 980's. The things you can program these remotes to do is seemingly endless. This is good and bad. Good for folks who like to tweak. Bad for folks who are impatient, as the learning curve is pretty steep. One gripe I've always had with URC is their database. Half of my stuff is not in their IR database, so I have to use the "learn" function. Whenever you use the learn function, there will always be problems.

MarkSJohnson #389047 01/31/13 07:48 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson

Hey unfair, my remote spent some time in your house.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
oldskoolboarder #389051 01/31/13 08:14 PM
Well, that's true.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Murph #389062 02/01/13 01:15 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Originally Posted By: Murph
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson

Hey unfair, my remote spent some time in your house.

And, of course, we would actually need to be INVITED, ya know, to come to your house.

Just sayin.

grin

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082