JohnK #391849 04/10/13 03:10 AM
D
Dduval Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
D
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Dana, enjoyed reading your review. You used the term "dynamics" several times and I'm curious as to what you mean as to that criterion. My own usage is that the dynamics in a musical recording are an inherent characteristic of the source material and that any quality speaker has to accurately reproduce that range, neither more nor less.

Fair question John. What I'm referring to is musical powerfulness and energetics. Your definition is spot on however. Us former musicians (rock bands), we use the term to explain perceived swings in volume, notes, piano plucks, crack of the snare, or guitar runs where the guitar player is manipulating the volume of a sustain note with his hands/fingers, and that "volume shift" sounding "dynamic" to us. May sound strange, but the best way I describe it when listening to a piano where the pianist is pressing the keys softer and then harder...with the Def's, that difference in volume, soft to hard press of the keys is more noticeable and stands out more than the axioms. Doesn't mean the axioms don't or can't produce that, of course they can. Just it's more "in your face" forceful or vigorous on the Def's.

Last edited by Dduval; 04/10/13 03:13 AM.

M80's, QS8's, M22's, CHT SHO-10, Dual CHT SS-18.1's, Onkyo NR3008, Mitsubishi WD-73740
Re: M80's vs Omen Def MK1-B's...
Dduval #391852 04/10/13 04:46 AM
shareholder in the making
Okay, I'm not really grasping the audible difference in the "dynamics", since as my previous comment implies, I'm of the view that accurately reproducing the dynamic range in a recording is a minimum requirement for a quality speaker, and that two quality speakers with overall sound differences should be essentially identical in the dynamics aspect.

Be that as it may, another point you mentioned was speaker "efficiency"(sensitivity is maybe a better term since even that 100dB/1 watt number equates to only about 9% efficiency). Why so much emphasis on a speaker that could do even the loudest peaks with a 10 watt amplifier, when units rated around 100 clean watts are readily available at modest cost?

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #391853 04/10/13 10:56 AM
D
Dduval Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
D
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Why so much emphasis on a speaker that could do even the loudest peaks with a 10 watt amplifier, when units rated around 100 clean watts are readily available at modest cost?

Forgive me John, but you'll have to expand on that question, no idea what you mean...you mean why I like high sensitivity speakers?

M80's, QS8's, M22's, CHT SHO-10, Dual CHT SS-18.1's, Onkyo NR3008, Mitsubishi WD-73740
Dduval #391861 04/10/13 04:05 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Very interesting review, however, it would seem that "mid-range" difference may come in the form of the crossover setting and its emphasis much like the mid-range/high emphasis in a tube guitar amplifier(I am an old player). I would suspect here the natural response would be that because this portion of the music came across "louder" in that frequency range, the music seems more forward and "live" in its response. I suppose the bulk of us here are "Axiomites" and we have our favourites, however, you bring up a couple of good points in your review that no matter what, would certainly make me strongly NOT consider the purchase of the Omen Defs.

Since I would imagine the majority of us here would have a combined A/V set-up in which we would be listening and watching both movies and music within the same system, the very size of these speakers and in order to "max out" their response especially at the low end and the somewhat greater sensitivity to placement, would be a turn-off for me. The fact that the cabinet is so much bigger yet the laws of physics don't seem to come in to play here. If I was buying these speakers brand new from the company itself, along with the larger driver size and a significantly larger cabinet, for the money spent, I would have expected a noticeably greater bass response. To me, this excellent review and comparison maybe just shows how really good the Axiom design is.

I believe most of us or for that matter, any audiophile who listens to music, prefers the "across the board" smoother neutral sound, especially when it comes to music.

Over the years, I have had and disposed of many models in various forms and sizes and, I suppose I am showing my loyalty here, but the M80's turned out to be the equal or best of the lot, especially for the money. Just my two cents anyway.

casey01 #391862 04/10/13 04:29 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Originally Posted By: casey01
If I was buying these speakers brand new from the company itself, along with the larger driver size and a significantly larger cabinet, for the money spent, I would have expected a noticeably greater bass response.

I was thinking the same thing, Casey. It is apparently a very different - perhaps even unique - approach to bass enclosures. I haven't spent enough time trying to study it, but I am intrigued. I thought that - between horns, acoustic reflex (sealed), ported and transmission-line - there wasn't anything new under the sun relative to tuning boxes for bass response. I am constantly amazed by other people's creativity.

There seems to be a whole sub-culture of folks (mostly tube-heads?) seeking extraordinarily efficient speakers. Likewise, there are a lot of folks who believe that single, full-range drivers have a lot to offer relative to phase coherence and imaging. The Zu designs seem to execute both of these ideas. Sometimes, I do wish I both had the money and felt comfortable spending it on such things.

I had quite an epiphany a few years ago when I heard Salk speakers for the first time. Likewise, hearing Sean's Odyssey Lorelei's was a wonderful revelation regarding just how good a two-channel music system can sound.

I do sometimes wonder whether two-channel is really "better sounding" than multichannel reproduction, or whether it's just more amazing to create such a big sonic image with so few drivers.

At any rate, Dana, thanks very much for the good review. I enjoyed reading it and especially learning from you. So glad that you have some new excitement in your listening routine. Enjoy!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Dduval #391866 04/10/13 07:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Excellent review, always good to hear an unbiased account, about another set of speakers in relation to the M80. It would be nice to be able to try other speakers, even if only for comparison. Just like a car, no one keeps the same one forever, and seldom do they buy the same car twice. The omens seem to have a nice flat frequency response and an interesting driver array for sure. So called experts would poo poo crossing a 10" full range over to a small tweeter let alone run 3 tweeters shocked like the tekton pedragon . Fortunately for you , you picked them up at well below suggested retail. Enjoy your new toys.

Richard

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Dduval #391867 04/10/13 07:51 PM
D
Dduval Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
D
Casey, Tom, Richard,

Thanks for the kind words, it so refreshing to see how axiom owners have such an open mind about other types of speakers. Very rarely would someone see such positive responses with no backlash at all when someone comes to an owners forum and posts about other speakers. Thank you all for that...a true testament to just how great this forum and the community here is!

I wish I could get these things out into the room more, about 3-4 feet away from the walls, but that means I would need a new house!

Dduval #391875 04/11/13 01:43 AM
Sure, Dana; just wondering why such an emphasis on speaker sensitivity(even dropping a fine average sensitivity Philharmonic from consideration)when these days amplifier power is so plentiful and relatively inexpensive.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Dduval #391876 04/11/13 02:02 AM
J
J
Originally Posted By: Dduval
I used my SPL meter to calibrate to 85db for each speaker. I was quite shocked at how much louder the Def's were at the same volume level.

SPL is SPL they shouldn't sound louder, perhaps you meant to say something else, perhaps more detailed, stronger/more distinct bass? If they were truly louder then the SPL was not the same. I would say there was obviously a much different sound from what you are used to with the M80s and you enjoyed this new sound which is what it is all about.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Dduval #391879 04/11/13 02:06 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
No worries casey, you are still an axiomoe LOLz . I am starting my build on a set of Seas / Thor floorstanders. I am not unhappy with my M80's ,just want to try something different. I totally get it,your a music lover and this is an addictive hobby .

Richard

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020