Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 31 of 95 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 94 95
Re: Maybe I should start a v4.0 build thread somewhere
nickbuol #366485 02/13/12 04:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
And then you paint it to make the rooms seem smaller again.

laugh

nickbuol #366508 02/13/12 08:38 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Then add furniture and it looks bigger again...

I think that it is all about a point of reference.

We don't live in homes without wall coverings (drywall, plaster, logs, whatever) so our brains don't process the space correctly. We also don't live in houses without furniture, so without a size reference, we have a difficult time seeing what can fit. I mean, the pictures make the room still seem small, but when I lay out how much space will be used by the seats and such, I end up with a good amount of space left over, so I know that in the end it will be a nice size.

Paint, now that is debatable. Some argue that it can make a room look larger...
Brighter paint on the walls and darker trim "feels" bigger than darker (not just dark) walls with light colored trim.

I've read that soft tones of blue and green maximize the "larger feeling" effect.

Of course, this is a theater. The shades will be a little darker, and the trim will be just a couple of shades darker than the white trim in the rest of the house (against the darker walls, it will have the contrast illusion of being white without being "too" white)...

Who cares though. I mean, as long as the screen looks big enough, the seats are comfy, and the sound is amazing, I don't care too much.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
MarkSJohnson #366542 02/14/12 04:36 AM
J
shareholder in the making
J
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Jason, please take this in the non-mean spirit that is intended:

So, what you're saying, if I got this right, is that it's amazing how walls define the shape of the room? grin

Well ya, solid walls vs. see through 2x4 walls.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
nickbuol #366815 02/16/12 04:48 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
So after a couple of nights of nothing happening in the theater (due to kids' stuff going on), I got some time in the theater tonight. The problem is that I had about 29 sheets is 12 foot long, 5/8" thick drywall to move. The last remaining side wall (for the first layer of drywall anyway), is where the drywall delivery guys stacked the drywall for the room. So it all needed to be moved. Can't put it in the middle of the room, or I will never have a place for the drywall jack, so it went on to the far wall that already had a layer of drywall on it.

My wife came down to help (after I was a little bit into it) and that was a huge help. We got down to about 10 sheets and she said, "Why don't we just put some up on the ceiling instead of moving it across the room?" Sounds good to me. I rarely get any help, and the ceiling I was going to need some help for sure to get the sheets on the lift.

Now, I'd like to say that I got a full layer of drywall up there, but I didn't. I did get 4 almost full length (one needed to be trimmed about 10 inches) of drywall up. I also started in the equipment rack area.

Tomorrow we are super busy again, but Friday night, if I have help, I will get the rest of the first layer up on the ceiling, and if I don't have help, I will get the remaining wall done and the last piece in the equipment rack area.

Saturday we will be out of town (more kids' stuff), but Sunday and Monday are fair game since I have Monday off for President's Day. Who knows, I might start Green Gluing sooner than I thought.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #367406 02/20/12 06:33 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
No pictures but I just finished up caulking the seams for the first layer of drywall in the theater. What a pain, but it should be worth it in the end.

It was hard convincing my wife and kids that 1 layer wasn't "good enough" and that more work needed to be done... I think that they hate me, but I am moving forward.

Tomorrow (or today rather) is a holiday for all of us from work and school (my first time getting President's Day off of work) and my father-in-law is coming over around noon to help out. I am going to try to have some of the sheets cut and ready for Green Glue and attaching. I am actually thinking about using him to help me with the upper walls instead of the ceiling. My wife and kids can help me load sheets on to the drywall lift for the ceiling, but the upper walls takes pure strength to do. I guess that is me anyway, but maybe we can get my wife to at least put the starter screws in while my father-in-law and I hold them into position.

More to come...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #367478 02/21/12 03:59 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
OK. I am really sore tonight. My father-in-law came over and we cranked out some 2nd layer drywall magic. By that, I mean that we got the walls done (top and bottom sheets) and all but an 8" x 11' (yes, 8 inches by 11 feet) piece for the ceiling, and then one of the "columns" where the movie storage is. That is a LOT more than I thought that we would get done.

I do still need to do the 2nd layer on the soffets, but those too are very manageable. I am anticipating being done with all of it tomorrow (Tuesday), although it will be a full evening to do so. On Wednesday, I will caulk up the inside corners and under the bottom sheets along the floor. That is per instruction from the guys at The Soundproofing Company.

Calls are in to some drywallers to see who will have a reasonable bid for the mudding and taping. I REALLY hope that they aren't too expensive because I really don't want to do it with all of those edges...

Pictures will come once I get the final layer up on the areas mentioned above. I am so happy that the heaviest piece of drywall I will have to work with will be about 15-20 pounds. Yeah!

PS. Green Glue has now been dubbed "the goop" around here. Even when it doesn't get all over the place, it gets all over the place. If you've never used it (we got the 5 gallon pails) then it is hard to explain. Whenever we had a sheet dry-fitted, one of us would hollar, "this one is ready for goop" or "...ready to be gooped". Green Glue has an odd smell. It isn't horribly strong, or even real nasty, just has a smell to it that I wasn't expecting.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #367479 02/21/12 04:07 AM
Originally Posted By: nickbuol
It isn't horribly strong, or even real nasty, just has a smell to it that I wasn't expecting.

This sentence just needed to stand on its own, devoid of context.

My work is done here.

nickbuol #367481 02/21/12 04:15 AM
Originally Posted By: nickbuol
It isn't horribly strong, or even real nasty, just has a smell to it that I wasn't expecting.

This sentence needed to be pulled out of context.

My work is done here.

nickbuol #367483 02/21/12 04:30 AM
Twice, even!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
nickbuol #367535 02/21/12 05:15 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Nick, the meticulousness of your efforts have basically ensured that I will never attempt something like this. You clearly are incapable of embracing the mantra of "close enough". I'm sure the results will be very satisfying; perhaps even good enough for your wife and kids to hate you somewhat less.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 31 of 95 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 94 95

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020