D
Dduval Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
D
Originally Posted By: jakewash
Originally Posted By: Dduval
I used my SPL meter to calibrate to 85db for each speaker. I was quite shocked at how much louder the Def's were at the same volume level.

SPL is SPL they shouldn't sound louder, perhaps you meant to say something else, perhaps more detailed, stronger/more distinct bass? If they were truly louder then the SPL was not the same. I would say there was obviously a much different sound from what you are used to with the M80s and you enjoyed this new sound which is what it is all about.

Lol!, yea... I meant the Def's were so much louder with the volume "dial" at the same level. Had to turn it down to get to 85db...

M80's, QS8's, M22's, CHT SHO-10, Dual CHT SS-18.1's, Onkyo NR3008, Mitsubishi WD-73740
Re: M80's vs Omen Def MK1-B's...
JohnK #391883 04/11/13 02:25 AM
D
Dduval Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
D
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Sure, Dana; just wondering why such an emphasis on speaker sensitivity(even dropping a fine average sensitivity Philharmonic from consideration)when these days amplifier power is so plentiful and relatively inexpensive.

Actually, I asked Dennis Murphy (designer of the Phil 2's) about the Phil's being a match to my listening practices. I do like it loud at times and mostly rock and progressive rock is what i listen to. Dennis has the same amp that I had, a Marsh a400s...even Dennis recommended to me the Phil's were not the best match for louder rock music. Who am I to question the designer of Salk (crossovers) and the Phil speakers...Dennis is a stand up guy and would never try to sell you something if he didn't think it was a fit for you. He actually suggested for me to look at something more sensitive.

So, yea, I guess there is something to be said for high sensitivity speakers, at least for me anyways, and that was what peaked my interest to begin with. So the fact that I do, at times, like to crank up to above 107db for brief periods of time of course (risk hearing damage I know), my emphasis on high sensitivity speakers is "in my mind" warranted.

M80's, QS8's, M22's, CHT SHO-10, Dual CHT SS-18.1's, Onkyo NR3008, Mitsubishi WD-73740
Dduval #391891 04/11/13 03:05 AM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
At the same time with amp technology relatively cheap you can achieve those same SPL levels with more amperage to "overcome" a lack of speaker sensitivity; ~$2000 gets you a pretty powerful amp. Your next purchase.....waiting for that review. smile

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Dduval #391907 04/11/13 07:08 PM
devotee
devotee
Now the Tekton Pens and Lore's have been getting some reviews that quite honestly seemed too good to be true. But most disturbing was Eric's (one man show and founder of Tekton Design) horrendously long lead times. Some folks waited for 6 months to get Eric's speakers, I just couldn't do that no matter how good they sound.

I ordered a pair of Pendragons 5 weeks ago! I sure hope I don't have to wait 6 months. But from what I understand, they are well worth the wait.

I'm doing the same thing as you, putting together dedicated 2 channel, full range system (no subwoofer!) and definitely not HT amp powered. I just bought the PrimaLuna Premium Integrated and it rocks. It easily de-bunks the myth that "all amps sound the same". Just perfect mix of modern slam and tube magic. A bargain at twice the price.

I also got a Schiit Gungir DAC for cds/music server. It's pretty amazing also. Although it has only too well pointed out the fallacy that all digital is the same! I get vastly different sound via different transports and even switching between coaxial and toslink on the same machine. I thought digital was perfect all the time?

Now for analog goodness... I'm gonna top off all this off with a VPI Classic 3. An early Christmas present for me and my gal.

'Cause I love my records and she loves to boogie... smile

Nice to see that I'm not alone on the journey to find 2 channel bliss.

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa

audiosavant #391911 04/11/13 07:32 PM
D
Dduval Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
D
Originally Posted By: audiosavant
Now the Tekton Pens and Lore's have been getting some reviews that quite honestly seemed too good to be true. But most disturbing was Eric's (one man show and founder of Tekton Design) horrendously long lead times. Some folks waited for 6 months to get Eric's speakers, I just couldn't do that no matter how good they sound.

I ordered a pair of Pendragons 5 weeks ago! I sure hope I don't have to wait 6 months. But from what I understand, they are well worth the wait.

I'm doing the same thing as you, putting together dedicated 2 channel, full range system (no subwoofer!) and definitely not HT amp powered. I just bought the PrimaLuna Premium Integrated and it rocks. It easily de-bunks the myth that "all amps sound the same". Just perfect mix of modern slam and tube magic. A bargain at twice the price.

I also got a Schiit Gungir DAC for cds/music server. It's pretty amazing also. Although it has only too well pointed out the fallacy that all digital is the same! I get vastly different sound via different transports and even switching between coaxial and toslink on the same machine. I thought digital was perfect all the time?

Now for analog goodness... I'm gonna top off all this off with a VPI Classic 3. An early Christmas present for me and my gal.

'Cause I love my records and she loves to boogie... smile

Nice to see that I'm not alone on the journey to find 2 channel bliss.

Very Nice Terry!

WOW! Congrats man, you will be in sonic bliss when those pens come in. You need to stay on Eric every week relentlessly. Some have threaten to cancel their order after 8 weeks and low and behold, Eric ships them like 2 days later...

Those Pens are freaking gargantuan! I hear the low end is killer once you get the placement right.

I bet that primaluna is sweet, can't imagine that with the pens...we will need pics and full review when you get the pens! Looking forward to the outcome... wink

Oh man, now you got me thinking about getting a integrated tube amp. smile

Dana

Dduval #391934 04/12/13 04:10 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Wow, thanks so much for the review, Dana. Really enjoyed reading about your findings. Glad you found a speaker that offers you a little different variation and brings joy to your listening experience.

With the high efficiency of the Zu speakers, you might even look at low powered powered options like OTL or SET amps?

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Dduval #391936 04/12/13 10:58 AM
D
Dduval Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
D
^^^ Yes, maybe my next purchase...SET or I'm thinking about a hybrid amp as well...Tube Head, Tube Head... smile

Dana

Last edited by Dduval; 04/12/13 10:58 AM.

Dduval #392064 04/16/13 12:00 PM
old hand
old hand
Very nice review; thank you for taking the time.

M80 v3, 2 x Emotiva UPA-1 Monoblocks, XPA-5, UMC-1 PrePro
Pro-Ject RPM Genie, Carver C2 Phono Preamp
Dduval #392350 04/23/13 11:03 PM
old hand
old hand
The discussion about sensitivity and SPL and what-not put me in mind of my first stereo adventures, back in the 70s. My first "serious" stereo was powered by a Sansui amp with Infinity speakers. The speakers had those wonderful EMIT tweeters that sounded glorious but were delicate and inefficient. Unfortunately, in those days I wanted my rock to really kick and I kept blowing those tweeters to smithereens.

So, I changed tactics, sold the Infinities and bought a pair of pro audio speakers from Carvin. They were big, heavy, indestructible, and sported a sensitivity rating of 105 db @ 1 watt @ 1 meter. I hooked 'em up to my 85 watt per channel Sansui and I could rock a gymnasium!

They were by no means audiophile, but they really fit my needs at the time. Sometimes there's just no substitute for volume.

P.S. - I still have the Carvins. I crank them up about once a year to blow the dust out and remind myself of my misspent youth.

Music is the best -- FZ
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020