Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Got him to buy Axioms!
nickbuol #394014 06/11/13 10:28 PM
shareholder in the making
Oh, I know...I was just talking about I referred you to this guy, lol...trying to pull a fast one on Amy.

Things are so different now in my setup since I enclosed the room, I've GOT to post new pics.. smile

I think the guy that came over was from Pella or something like that...some of his tunes I think were ripped on low compression as I remember hearing some screaching highs. smile The next week a guy came over a played Michael Jackson... he he

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

nickbuol #394028 06/12/13 01:03 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I am not a huge fan of MJ but his recordings were top notch. The few songs I do like sound fantastic and would great music to demo speakers.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
nickbuol #394035 06/12/13 01:59 AM
Good show, Nick!

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

nickbuol #394101 06/13/13 07:08 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
He told me that his Axioms shipped yesterday. I told him that if they show up tomorrow that I would like to see them so that I have a visual in my head of physical size, etc. We'll see...

We spent a few hours last night trying to wiring things up. I swear I should have just bought everything and done it myself and had him pay me for materials. He bought 1/2" ID blue Smurf tube and wanted to put three sets of 14 gauge wire with extra outside sheathing AND a wire for an IR repeater though that stuff. WAY too small, and I told him that ahead of time that if he was getting smurf tube to go at least 3/4" ID and get the wire without the extra sheathing.

Needless to say, the most that we could get through was 2 sets of wires and the wire for the IR repeater. The 3rd set wouldn't go at all.

So after some choice words on his part, we left (it was also starting to get too dark in the basement to work since there is no live electrical yet), and he went to the closest home improvement store and bought some larger Smurf tube just for the section that needed the 3 sets of speaker wire and the one IR repeater wire. He is playing sick this afternoon and going to get that run.

Then he needs to run the Smurf tube to the side and rear surrounds. The 1/2" ID stuff should work since the most he will put in is 2 sets in each tube (side surrounds paired up and rear surrounds paired up).

He also found out that his hard conduit for his HDMI for the projector was too small for the cable to make any bends.

Poor guy. I told him to use the big stuff because it is hidden anyway and the increased cost was minimal. I guess he forgot.

Here is what I meant by the wire had an extra layer of sheathing that added just too much bulk.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #394103 06/13/13 07:38 PM
Originally Posted By: nickbuol
Here is what I meant by the wire had an extra layer of sheathing that added just too much bulk.

That's to be expected when you buy bulk wire.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
nickbuol #394104 06/13/13 08:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
If you are using normal shipping, it'll take about 5-7 days to get there.

MarkSJohnson #394111 06/13/13 11:14 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Originally Posted By: nickbuol

That's to be expected when you buy bulk wire.

I see what you did there. LOL

Farewell - June 4, 2020
CatBrat #394112 06/13/13 11:15 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
If you are using normal shipping, it'll take about 5-7 days to get there.

Ah... Back when I bought my Axioms, it took something like 2 days. It was crazy fast. I guess I haven't seen the shipping info in a while.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #394114 06/13/13 11:41 PM
E
connoisseur
connoisseur
E
My EP400 shipped last Thurs, 06 Jun & arrived here yesterday, Wed 13 Jun - 7 days. That's from Ontario to Vancouver Island, BC.

FEDEX tracking was a little weak as there were no updates from the first day in Mississauga, ON until Vancouver, BC; however, they arrived exactly as initially predicted...

TAM

nickbuol #398065 10/22/13 02:00 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
So 4 months plus about a week and I finally was invited over to calibrate his audio (and thus Axioms). As expected, their house wasn't done (heck, still isn't "done" yet) so a delay was expected.

Anyway, he was already pretty excited about the way that his Axioms sound.

From the first post, he has:
(2) M2 v3 In-Wall Front L/R
(1) VP100 v3 In-Wall Center
(4) QS4 v3 Surrounds
And some small powered sub. I would have to ask him the model (I didn't look close enough last night). It is 10" at best if not 8" and in about a 1.5cuft box (if that).

Anyway, you already see the weakest link, but let's not go there yet.

The space is massive. A huge open space that flows into a big wet bar area, and other space (kind of dead space that I would have re-purposed if it was my house) and a large opening going upstairs.

So ok, we have a LOT of cuft of air to fill with sound.

First things first, we play a few demo clips from the blu-ray demo discs that I brought to get a "before" experience...

Then I start with the basic Audyssey MultEQ XT calibration to 8 mic locations per spec from an Audyssey "expert how-to" forum thread elsewhere on the 'net. This is just to 1) see what the room correction does, 2) shows him how to do it himself and 3) might be a quick and easy way to get a sound improvement.

Going through the setup, and everything on the right side of the room is listed as being about twice as far away from the initial mic location as it really is. This must be because the left side of the space is walled off, and the right side is open to that "dead space" and to the upstairs. We fix that as this impacts the audio delay of each channel and we want it to be correct. Then, we bump up the center channel 3.0db per his request (and common practice). And then we start putting in some demo material. We hit up some of my blu-ray demo discs and start with clips that focus on surround effects and he was blown away at how much better it sounded. I too agreed that the sound image of the surround channels was excellent. In the one Transformers battle scene, you could pinpoint the locations of just about every bullet and energy weapon blast throughout the surround channels.

Next up, the LFE section. I am worried about his little sub. We had to turn it up A LOT to get it to the "pre-Audyssey setup level" of 75db. First clip, from Iron Man, the Jericho missile scene. The "thump" of the launch is fine, and then it all goes into the crapper. It just can't handle the LFE of when the missile splits into smaller projectiles, or the explosion. It just sounded like crap. We adjusted that down quite a bit to get at least fairly clean bass.

Then we played some of the music samples on the blu-ray discs. the Eagles' "Hotel California", John Mayer's "Waiting on the World to Change", and REO Speedwagon's "Take it on the Run." They all sounded great in his space.

There were significant issues though that I couldn't get past. The space still had some echo to it which impacted intelligibility, but he won't be doing anything that will help that at all, which is understandable since the space is a shared family room/wet bar/etc. Also, the elephant in the room was that little sub. The one that he said he didn't want to upgrade when he bought his Axioms. I mean, the M2 and VP100 in-walls do very well despite the size of the space, but there is a distinct sound gap, no a sound hole below 80Hz because the sub just doesn't do much. It made things, though clean and clear for mids/highs, just sound "empty" overall.

I was telling him that he should let me bring over my DIY sub for a day and let him use that to see what he is missing. I told him that this would be a great way to see what a bigger and better sub would do for him. I mentioned that it wouldn't have to be as big as what I built, but something with a 12" woofer, few hundred clean watts of power, and in a little bit larger box and it would be a world of difference.

We will see if he takes me up on the offer.

All-in-all though, the littler Axiom speakers did very well. I was totally impressed with them. I still love my M60/VP180 front combo with QS8 surrounds, but the smaller speakers impressed me for a room with a lot more cuft of air than what I have. Just needs that lower end coverage from a good sub and his space will really impress the family and friends.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020