High on M60
#39477 04/02/04 04:28 AM
H
heavyd Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
H
I just got my M60 and been listening to them for several hours. I was excited because of all the review here before they arrived. However, after listening, I notice the high is a little harsh. Everyting else is clear and good so far. Have any noticed this and what's your advice on get "over" it? I really don't want to hassle of returning these. Thanks.

Re: High on M60
#39478 04/02/04 04:37 AM
old hand
old hand
give'm some time to break-in. they grow smoother as you listen.

#39479 04/02/04 04:59 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I've noticed the same thing with my 22s. I can't speak to your situation, but here's what I think is going on in my case.

First, I have a side wall which seems to reflect the highs considerably. I have two large movie posters on that wall in frames with glass, and I think they add to this bounce. I'm thinking of hanging a tapestry, or something absorbing to minimize the reflection. Be sure you're not getting some additional bounce from the room itself.

Secondly, these are VERY accurate speakers. I think a lot of music material is mixed with a boost in the highs and/or mids to offset average speakers which are slightly deficient in these areas. I've talked to recording engineers who say they mix through small speakers because that is what most people listen to at home and in the car. What is on the disk is what you hear with these speakers. I believe this is a factor because I don't experience this "harshness" from every source. I never experience it with DVDs, and only some CDs.

You might try turning the volume down just a little. I was accustomed to cranking the volume to get the best of the mids and highs from my old speakers. I don't have to do that with the Axioms. I can listen at lower volume and still be amazed by the clarity and spaciousness of these speakers.

Be sure you've properly calibrated your speaker setup.

Give yourself a little time to get used to these remarkable speakers. They aren't perfect, but they are well worth the money.

Good luck.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#39480 04/02/04 05:11 AM
devotee
devotee
Mine do that when I put them in the wrong place in my room. Move them a few inches.

I've had them for a while now. I know of 2 places in my room where I can not put my M60s. In one spot, they sound bright as all get out, in the other they sound all muddy.

There are about 50 good places though!

Try a little less toe in as well.

M- M60s/VP150/QS8s/SVS PC-Ultra/HK630 Sit down. Shut up. Listen.
#39481 04/02/04 01:53 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
You might also try adjusting the bass or treble controls on your receiver a tad. The other suggestions posted will also make a bit of diifference. If the room is cinder block with hard wood floors and a tin ceiling, you may have a brightness issue.

I don't know what you replaced, but the Axioms are very accurate. My guess is that your other speakers were a bit laid back. What happens, based on the wisdom of the collective here, is that it takes some time for your ears to break in and become accustomed to the Axioms. The speakers won't necessarily smooth out, but your ears will compensate.

I expect Cap'n Picard to show up shortly and reassure you about the Axioms since "resistance is futile".

#39482 04/02/04 02:59 PM
veteran
veteran
I too thought my M60's were a little harsh at first. Please give them some time. Some recordings still sound a bit 'toppy' but most of the time I really appreciate hearing what cymbals etc. really sound like. I am listening to all of my old CD's over again and appreciating those which are nicely mastered (anything by Sade, The Police, Pearl Jam - Ten etc, etc). Also I don't know if I really believe in the whole 'break in' thing, but either my ears got used to the detail or the M60's really smoothed out over the first 20 hours or so.
For those who have been following my story, my basement carpet goes down next Wednesday so everything will be moved into place over a long weekend next week - I can't wait to get out of my cramped guest room and set everything up properly

Stuart (M60, VP150, QS8, Denon 3803, HSU VTF3 Mk2)

#39483 04/02/04 03:34 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
I received my setup last week (M60's, EP350, VP150, QS8's, VP100) and the first CD that I put in to test the speakers was a DVD Audio with a Bare Naked Ladies song. It was flat out horrible during the highs of that song! Happily though that has been the worst sounding song of any that I have played so far. I have noticed on some female singers that the high are a bit bright. Heck, even my girlfriend noticed this, but my room has new carpeting and sheetrock walls and it usually doesn't reflect too bad.

I will say that the detail in the speakers is incredible and the DTS 6.1 soundtracks are awesum. I'm not sold on the EP350 yet so I am still kicking around the idea of going with a more powerful subwoofer like the SVS. My room is 15x25 with 8' ceilings. I really like to feel the bass when I watch movies and I haven't really noticed much differance between the EP350 and my old Veledyne CT-120.

#39484 04/02/04 04:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Not yet having received my M60s. Hopefully I will not have the same experience, thinking taht they are too bright. With that said, I am, unfortunately, unabel at this time to say in good faith that "resistance is futile." Being more of a Star Wars man than a Star Trek trekkie, I would have to say that "I have a bad feeling about this," and that if you "trust your feelings, let go of your fear" and let the sound (force) "flow from within," your ears will break in and everything will be jsut fine.

#39485 04/02/04 04:33 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I don't find my m60s to be too bright at all. I think the highs are right on personally. I was listening to a track last night with some wind chimes in it at the beginning and it sounded clear as day like the chimes were hanging in my livingroom. Having lived in a house for 3 years where we regularly had some pretty big shows, I've got to say that the crash of a cymbal sounds to me exactly like it does standing right next to the drum kit. And having played sax for several years, I love the sound of brass through these things, it sounds deadly accurate. A lot of things people complain about sounding too bright just sound really bright naturally. What can you do?

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#39486 04/02/04 05:07 PM
old hand
old hand
Jus installed everything on Tuesday, including my M60s. I don't find them to be bright at all. Clear yes, bright no. I'd have to put it down to room reflections.

Try cutting down on reflective surfaces between you and the speakers or adding more damping. I had previously moved a bookcase forward since I had a couch on the other side of the room and this helped.

M60s, VP150, QS8s(3), SVS PB12-isd, Denon 3805, Emotiva UPA-7
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020