Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Bicycle or Tricycle Advicycle
JohnK #394825 07/03/13 01:33 PM
shareholder in the making
Back when I was a kid -- you know, in the 80s -- nobody had suspensions on their bikes, yet most of us are still alive. I had a hybrid mountain bike in the 90s. It was great for street and moderately rocky terrain riding. Again, no suspension. Suspension is great for when you're going fast over bumpy terrain. That's also a great way to get hurt. smile

pmbuko #394828 07/03/13 01:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My Giant Iguana has suspension on the front fork. I used to do some pretty serious trial riding, and it is nice there. But on the street, it's annoying. I'd try to pop the front wheel up over curbs, and usually just end up compressing the fork. So a lockout would be a good feature.

The unfortunate thing about hybrids is the tires they come with almost always have a continuous bead of tread that runs all the way around the circumference of the tire. That makes them useless for any sort of off road riding where you may end up trying to pedal over a wet log, or something slippery. The tire will just spin with no traction at all. But it does make them last longer, and run smooth and quiet on the road. (My brother also has a completely off-road intended bike, and uses it with a bicycle trainer. He has to crank the music on headphones to be able to hear it over the tires.) But if you run soft, knobby tires on the road, you'll have slicks before too long.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
CV #394830 07/03/13 03:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
CV, if you do get your ass bones measured, please let us know how that goes.

And I hope a female technician helps you.

Do NOT eat chili the night before.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
CV #394831 07/03/13 04:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #394834 07/03/13 06:23 PM
I like that technique. It uses renewable materials.

CV #394849 07/04/13 01:26 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Daniel had ONE job, and he almost missed the cardboard.

Some assistant he is. . .

CV #394945 07/07/13 11:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Charles, did you ever find out how big your azz is?

*Michael*
AV123 Refugee - X-LS Encore, X-Voce, X-Omnis, Elt-Dpa's
Denon AVR-591
Magnavox NB500MGX BDP

richeydog #394948 07/08/13 12:30 AM
C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
OP Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Ha ha. Not yet. I'll check out a couple of the bicycle stores next weekend, but I may not get anything immediately. I found out my dad has a bicycle he hasn't really used since he first bought it, so I'm going to see what it is and if I can just use that for now. If I end up riding regularly, I imagine I will want to get one that I choose, just because.

CV #394949 07/08/13 01:09 AM
axiomite
axiomite
You need to get bicycling shorts with "Outboard Motor" stenciled across your azz.

CV #395146 07/15/13 06:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Missed another good thread. Lot's of good info above though that I can agree with. However, as I often tend to do, I'd like to point out that there can be a middle ground to some views.

For instance, I gave up mountain biking when I blew out my knee but I still enjoy a bit of suspension, even for pavement. Bare in mind though that here, pavement is rarely smooth and often covered in a frequent pebbles and small stones. Also, I'm betting that there are probably some really nice unpaved, but extremely well maintained, to the point of nearly flat, off-pavement trails around your area if you check around.

The disadvantage, as I can't see where anyone explained it yet for you, is that with suspension if you are pumping hard to go fast or maybe get up a hill, that some of the downward pressure you put into the peddle is lost in pushing down the suspension instead of going into torque. This is mostly minor though, depending how soft the suspension is. Admittedly, it can be nagging if working Really hard to climb a hill.

The front only suspension on my Opus hybrid is tune-able. You can make it hard and able to peddle more efficiently on pavement or you can soften it up if I go on some rougher stuff. Honestly, I mostly tend to just leave it at mediocre and run with it.

On another note, the disadvantage of the hybrid tire with thin solid band around the tire causing slippage in certain conditions can be overcome by deflating the tire down to a softer air pressure, allowing the knobs on the side to take more hold.

It's not perfect and depending how low you go, a less pressurized tire will be more tiresome to peddle on the pavement but doing this allows your hybrid to be exactly that, a hybrid. It's not meant to be great at going fast or insane trails but it does allow you the choice of a bit of both worlds.

For you, who has expressed that you will be paved surface only, I agree that you really don't need suspension. Might as well get as much out of your cadence as possible. Just don't test drive one with suspension or you may get addicted to the smoother ride.

On the other hand, test drive as many bikes as you can. Comfort is key or you won't want to ride it and it will gather dust. Used is a great way to go. Unlike a car, it's pretty easy to tell if a bike is in good working conditions. And remember, if you love a certain bike but the seat is killing you, you can easily replace the seat.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters