JohnK #395205 07/17/13 11:20 AM
J
J. B. Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
J
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Jacques, what were your previous mike positions and separations, and what are they now?

the previous patterns i used had each mic position separated by about 1-2 ft.; Audyssey seems to recommend separations of between 1 and 3 ft.
after doing the first measurement at the exact MLP, then i would take:
1 left:2 ft.
1 right: 2 ft.
1 forward: 1 ft.
1 back:6 ins..
1 at the lp for the seat on my right: 34 ins.

i tried many variations around this theme.

now, what i did, after reading the article:

i used a modified "Pattern Wide1h" as shown in the article referred to above.

# 1 and 2: Center of head (MLP);
# 3: Forward 3 ins.
# 4: Backwards 3 ins.
# 5: Left 3 ins.
# 6: right 3 ins.
All at ear height, none at 3 ins. up.

so far, after listening to a couple of hours of music, the difference is appreciable.
the runner in DSOM does not get fat and fuzzy anymore; musical instruments are better defined for focus and position; hall acoustics are better integrated around the instruments and it seems like the micro details are better defined.

the M80s seem to reproduce details as if they were under a microscope: finely textured and full of micro details; not only does one hear the "trees in the forest", but one also hears the individual "leaves in the trees". in fact, if i close my eyes, then i can very clearly "see" all the music, in intimate detail.

also, after using DPLII Music for quite a long time when listening to music, i decided a few weeks ago to try DTS Neo:6 Music and found that instruments are better defined as also the hall acoustics; as if a veil had been lifted in front of the soundstage: better definition and realism. this applies to acoustic instruments; synth music could be another matter, but i haven't tried any.

Re: Audyssey MultEQ
J. B. #395221 07/18/13 05:18 AM
shareholder in the making
Jacques, that just shows you that by being willing to take a big risk and ignoring the warning "Do not press this button!", good things can come to you!

If your measurement #2 is actually at the same position as #1, it would seem that using at least a slightly different point, but still along the center line, say 3" forward of #3, or making #2 and #3 2" and 4" forward, would be helpful.

On the DPLII/Neo:6 question, a couple years ago I did an extensive quasi-blind(rapidly making multiple switches with eyes closed so the position was confused)series of tests. I found pretty much the opposite of what you reported on those factors, and have used only DPLII since then.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

J. B. #395229 07/18/13 12:46 PM
J
J. B. Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
J
John, in my case, i find that the text in 5-5. is most important:
"Section 5-5.:
A Listening Position is the point where the center of the listener's head would be. Especially at the PLP, always use the center of head location, not beside or in front of or above it - this strongly affects Audyssey MultEQ's ability to deliver good Image Clarity (details follow). This point will be affected by furniture design and construction as they affect where the listener's head will be positioned. Of course, it is valid to include analysis points a few inches left, right, forward, up, or down to allow for positioning variation if the sound tonality at those points is not dramatically different from the sound at the center of that area. If the sound at an LP has a big, annoying peak in the midrange frequencies when you lean forward six inches, you will only end up with a duller sound elsewhere by including that point in the analysis. Better to leave out that point and remember not to lean forward."

i chose a modified Case 8 - Mic Pattern: Wide1H
because it's the one that should give me the best results according to the room and where i sit and my needs for the best possible F.R. and Image Clarity (sound stage imaging).

i left out positions 3 and 4 because i never sit 3 inches up from my usual listening position.

i also left out positions 7 and 8 as no one ever sits in those positions; the seat at my right is used only about once a month.

Positions 5 and 6 are positions for the 2 ears.

Positions 3 and 4 concentrate the corrections even more on the head region, front and back.

Position 2 gives more emphasis to the most important center-of-head.

these positions i've chosen are what i could call an "educated best guess" on my part.
the coming weeks will tell me if i made a good guess or if i should rethink those mic positions.
so far, the only thing that i need to double check is to see if the front stage speakers are exactly the same distance from the MLP, as it's one of the most important parameters to check before running Audyssey.

About the DPLII/Neo:6 question, i can't understand what could be the reason that our results are so different. my best guess would be that our speaker/room combination is different enough to make such a difference in sound imaging.
all the listening tests i've done were with acoustic music, like chamber orchestra or jazz.
using Neo:6 also integrates the listener more inside the acoustic hall ambiance (more immersive), contrary to DPLII that seems to put the listener more outside, more on the edge, of that acoustic ambiance.

have a super day, ya'all!

Last edited by J. B.; 07/18/13 01:12 PM.
J. B. #395231 07/18/13 12:59 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I am a big fan of the experience I get with anything DTS vs. Dolby. DTS-MA for movies is WAY more imersive than the best Dolby encoding. When playing something that doesn't have a DTS-MA track, but some form of Dolby, I find that I mess around with the different sound settings a LOT more. This is something that is shared by my family too. They usually don't like me to "tweak" anything during a movie or concert playback, but if it is a Dolby track (they don't know that it is a Dolby track) they are fine with my tinkering. It usually ends up on some combination of Audyssey, THX, and DTS Neo:6 with the corresponding Movie/TV/Music curves.

But hey, if John likes what he hears with the Dolby DPLII, then awesome. There ARE a lot of factors that would lead themselves to how there is so much variance, and you guys hit on it. The room is a huge one, the source material, and lastly, but just as importantly, the listener and their person preferences.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
J. B. #395233 07/18/13 01:09 PM
J
J. B. Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
J
nick, if they don't like it when you "tinker" with adjustments during a movie or whatever, why don't you make those adjustments some time before you start the show?

J. B. #395235 07/18/13 02:09 PM
I found that I liked the music better with Neo:6 on my old H/K and with DPLII on my new Onkyo, for whatever that's worth.

I've also been completely unimpressed with Audyssey on the Onk. I will have to take some time someday to work on this...oh, who am I kidding, when I have the house to myself I'm watching a damned movie, not messing with Audyssey.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
J. B. #395242 07/18/13 04:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: J. B.
nick, if they don't like it when you "tinker" with adjustments during a movie or whatever, why don't you make those adjustments some time before you start the show?

It is mainly with Dolby Digital sound from DVR movies, or older blu-rays. 9 times out of 10, these are last minute desicions to watch, and other times it takes a little bit of watching to experience something that is lacking in an enveloping sound field. That is when I tinker.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Ken.C #395243 07/18/13 04:02 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
I found that I liked the music better with Neo:6 on my old H/K and with DPLII on my new Onkyo, for whatever that's worth.

I've also been completely unimpressed with Audyssey on the Onk. I will have to take some time someday to work on this...oh, who am I kidding, when I have the house to myself I'm watching a damned movie, not messing with Audyssey.

I will admit that I have to force myself to find the time to run the calibrations as I too would rather enjoy a flick than spend the 30 minutes to run the full Audyssey. Good thing that it doesn't have to be run very often.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020