Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Journey into Analogue Darkness
gnickers #396174 08/17/13 08:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Brothers in Arms.....

The hits are at the beginning. That album was a monster for Dire Straits. If you are uninitiated with this album, work towards the middle, get comfortable and be prepared to be taken away to somewhere else.

M3 and
M80
gnickers #396175 08/17/13 09:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I don't have a lot of SACD's, just a few to sample them. I kept reading how great they were so I figured since I had a player I would at least give them a go. For me they are just too expensive and like anything there are good and bad examples. I have Stevie ray Vaughn which is really good and dire straits which is good but the sacd version of Meatloaf just doesn't cut it. Im a Analogue man living in a digital world.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
gnickers #396177 08/18/13 12:28 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
ha ha! Got it. I just had a really weird experience at the record store. All of my records from junior high school were there (I switched to cassettes in high school). I looked around to see if my mom was there selling them.

Anyway. Brothers in Arms was there and is now at my house.

M3 and
M80
gnickers #396178 08/18/13 12:56 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
So you have an actual record store near where you live? Cool.
Were they actually your old records or the same ones you listened to at the time. I saved all my albums from my party years, they are in great shape considering I usually wasn't grin

Is the album in good condition?

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
gnickers #396182 08/18/13 02:37 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
They weren't really mine. But it was extremely weird. I wish I had written my name of them all those years ago so I would have known for sure. There were not that many records... and there were so many matches. Come to think of it, the only one I didn't see was Freeze Frame. Someone must have bought it.

I am blessed. That record store was eight minutes from my house. There are bigger and more cool ones if I drive a little further. If you ever visit Massachusetts I will take you to a record store with Bob. That is an experience. Bob takes cd's out of persons hands and puts them back on the shelf. "You don't want that, buy this one." If he sees me even reaching for something undesirable I get "the look". The fun part is that you get the history of every record and the musicians playing on it and the producers. Bob knows everything about rock and roll.

The record is in pretty good condition. It needs a little cleaning but there are no major scratches or skipping. The store has a condition guarantee so I can return it. I won't complain too much for the $11 bucks. I will grab a 180g version if I ever see one.

M3 and
M80
gnickers #396187 08/18/13 04:09 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If I were ever to get to a real record shop I would have to rent a truck to get everything home . grin I cant ever see myself going to Massachusetts though if I did I would definitely be into going to that record shop. Its very difficult finding new music without having access to someone like this fellow bob you refer to.

I spent hours cleaning all my records with a rig I put together using my bissel green machine with a modified wand I made, some homemade cleaner and a couple spray bottles and an ultra soft paint brush.

I watched a documentary tonite called , Last Shop Standing. I found it very interesting , worth watching in my opinion.

richard

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
gnickers #396190 08/18/13 05:27 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Could a laser be used to read the surface of an LP?

Last edited by brwsaw; 08/18/13 05:28 AM.

brwsaw #396201 08/18/13 01:48 PM
buff
buff

Semper ubi sub ubi.
gnickers #396206 08/18/13 02:04 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
"Bob takes cd's out of persons hands and puts them back on the shelf. "You don't want that, buy this one."

Jeeez, that got a good laugh out of me!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
gnickers #396445 08/26/13 05:17 PM
G
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
G
New Speakers

Been listening to the PSB Titantium T6's with both CD and LP. The only constant is that there is no constant, some LP's sound better than the CD and some CD's sound better than the LP. I find that i tend to prefer listening to vocals or single instruments or small combos on LP but CD's of similar material also sound very good. With the T6's and the brystons the performer sounds like they are in the room, ie John Lee Hookers's Live at the Cafe a Go go and Solodad Prison sounds like you are seated right there.

The hardest trick to pull off on an LP or CD is a mass of instruments, a 'wall of sound' without becoming blurred or distorted. So where does this leave us?

- Well recorded masters and well produced media will sound good not matter what. So invest in good recordings.
- Both analog and digital are capable of good sound, there are no absolutes. Analog seems to be a bit more realistic on voices but that comes with a penalty of media degradation thru playing, more fiddling, and higher cost
- 2 channel stereo can be quite good with proper positioning and the right sized room and it works with many recordings. Multi-channel sounds better BUT only if the recording is done right, there are too many 'ping-pong' recordings with instruments all over the room.

So there are many paths to audio heaven, don't listen to the audio elites who preach 'tubes & vinyl' only. Yes you can get good sound that way but it is expensive, fiddly, and maybe that is why they like it. As Vinnie says "It's all about the music, man" (not about the toys).

System #1 Cost = $250 Sound = Good for LP, bad for CD
Sphrex sub with 55 watt per channel amp
AR 18s speakers
Optonica RP 7505 Turntable and Sony CD
TCC Phono Pre-amp

System #2 Cost $250 Sound Good, CD better than system 1
Akai Integrated Amp
PSB B25 speakers
Optonica RP 7505 Turnable and Sony CD
TCC Phono Pre-amp

System #3 Cost = $1000 Sound = Amazing with LP and CD
Bryston 0.5 pre-amp
Bryston 2LP power amp
PSB B25 speakers
Optonica RP 7505 turntable and sony cd with TCC phono pre-amp

System #4 Cost = $3000 Sound = Astounding with LP/CD
Bryston 0.5 pre-amp and 2LP power amp
PSB Titanium T6 speakers
Optonica RP7505 turntable, sony CD and TCC phono pre-amp

There were two eye-openers in this process.

1. How good the PSB B25 speakers are. Incredible soundstage, spot on accurate mid-range. Not much bass. These were a trade so had no expectations. If you come across these GRAB THEM! Really good in a small room when mounted at the correct height and played at reasonable volume. A steal.

3. How good the Bryston combo sounded. They really drove the PSB B25's, audio writers like to talk about speed and slam - whatever that is...but with the grills off you could see the amp driving the woofers with an amazing excursion and recovery. This made the B25's sound very dynamic. The T6's less so as that is a larger, more complex load for an amp, smooth sound but less punch. Perhaps that is a trade off of a multi-driver speaker?

Next Steps

Do some multi-track recording the the 3/3 sony deck using mkv audio only masters onto sony metal type 4 tape with dolby S and then some a/b comparisions

When the akai reel deck comes back from refurbishing play some pre-recorded tapes and make some recordings like above for comparision...going to be a busy fall!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters