Rate Thread
Page 79 of 95 1 2 77 78 79 80 81 94 95
Re: Maybe I should start a v4.0 build thread somewhere
nickbuol #414426 09/11/15 09:08 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
If I understand, there was never a return air HVAC line from the room? Just a supply?

Our code states an exhaust fan 300cfm or greater requires a make up air system. Not sure about a supply though being that high. Either way you are under 300.

You could have used the blower as an exhaust out of the room at the rear and had a motorized damper interlocked so it opens when the fan comes on to let outside air in. This is how parkades are exhausted. Then run the fan off a close on rise thermostat. (A/C t-stat) This way your HT will heat the rest of the basement and you dont have to open any drywall outside the room. You can still do this, just put another blower in the rear of the room and have them run off the same thermostat in parallel. Is there space above your equipment rack to hide it all?

Man, it sucks you have to revisit this in a finished space. But it must be terrible enough to make you do it. Hope it all works out!

nickbuol #414427 09/11/15 09:32 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Just looked up fan. No provisions for control in unit. Just direct power. My bad. Controlling with tstats not really a good option without a lot more work.

These fans look pretty good. Might get one for my upstairs bath and let it run full time for ventillation.

nickbuol #414434 09/11/15 05:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By nickbuol
So my latest project in the theater actually started last October... I bought all of the materials and put some holes in the side of my house... Then I did nothing with it until last weekend and then finished up phase 1 tonight...

Hmm, so I have another couple of months before I have to get back to my modest HT reno? Thanks man. smile

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
AAAA #414436 09/11/15 05:50 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted By Serenity_Now
If I understand, there was never a return air HVAC line from the room? Just a supply?

Our code states an exhaust fan 300cfm or greater requires a make up air system. Not sure about a supply though being that high. Either way you are under 300.

You could have used the blower as an exhaust out of the room at the rear and had a motorized damper interlocked so it opens when the fan comes on to let outside air in. This is how parkades are exhausted. Then run the fan off a close on rise thermostat. (A/C t-stat) This way your HT will heat the rest of the basement and you dont have to open any drywall outside the room. You can still do this, just put another blower in the rear of the room and have them run off the same thermostat in parallel. Is there space above your equipment rack to hide it all?

Man, it sucks you have to revisit this in a finished space. But it must be terrible enough to make you do it. Hope it all works out!

Yeah, this is part of the reason that it took me until now to do this. I was afraid to pull the trigger on the tearing into more finished space as well as wanting to get it right (for the price point that I am at).

After going over the plans several times over at AVS, the consensus was exactly what I laid out. "Suck" air in with the blower, and let it force its way out using the existing large fan at the back of the room. Then work on the air return which is actually Phase 3 (which of course means a new fresh air supply that i mention is Phase 2 above). Those 2 phases get me added benefit that will be helpful even if I never did Phase 1. There are zero returns in the basement, and that needs to change. I will be adding a second return after talking to a former HVAC guy at work. That will go in the opposite end of the basement.

So Phase 2 and 3 were happening anyway, Phase 1 was highly recommended as I was told that I would get more cool air in faster by putting the blower near the source and not the exhaust.

I am hoping to skip Phase 4 (powered exhaust to the outside) but we'll see.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #414441 09/11/15 07:28 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Sounds like you gotter figured. However it ends up, you are better off than with a mini split. Sure they cool/heat, but zero ventillation.

Now would be a good time to fish in-ceiling cables if you are opening holes up..... Get the drywall repair all at one time. I'm so meddlesome! laugh

nickbuol #414445 09/11/15 07:57 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
The only hole that I made in the drywall is in the front most part of the ceiling and it is just enough to get to the vent in the side of the house. I do have a hole in the rear of the theater where I put in that really large fan in the ceiling. When I get to putting in the air return, I will definately be running some wires for ceiling speakers. You are right, once you start messing with drywall, you might as well finish.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #416606 01/20/16 07:22 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thought that it was time for a couple of updated images:

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #416609 01/20/16 11:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
That's beautiful, Nick!! well done!!

Are you using M2's as your surrounds?

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
nickbuol #416611 01/21/16 03:37 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
that is beautiful. Great job!

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
Adrian #416612 01/21/16 03:48 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted By Adrian
That's beautiful, Nick!! well done!!

Are you using M2's as your surrounds?

Yes. The QS8s have been sitting in boxes since December 2014...

With Atmos on my horizon (more "distant" horizon) I need to also adjust the speaker locations a bit. I want to put the rear two as wide as possible in the back, and take the side surrounds, move then a tad down, and actually about 2-3 feet towards the front. Then angle them a touch towards the seating area. Move the seats forward a foot as well (both rows) to make more distance from the rear for the rear overheads...

At some point I am also going to change up the wall panels. Keeping the same 3 on each side, but putting them centered under the 3 wall sconce lights, and then adding a 4th (maybe 5th) to each side that is something more plain. I will take the acoustical insulation out of the "middle" one on each side and put it in the new one that goes up front. The treatments make the room sound good already, so I want to keep the insulation where it is at. Maybe do some DIY diffusion behind the other 2 panels on each side...

Anyway, the last photos were pretty plain looking.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Page 79 of 95 1 2 77 78 79 80 81 94 95

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020